E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auxilary Input Noise/Static

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 530i w/ Sports Package

First of all, I have to say that this forum is awesome and has helped me find answer to questions I had about my car!!

I have a 2007 530i w/ Sports Package and the 10 speaker HiFi system (non Logic 7). My car is currently at the dealer for an issue with noise/static coming through the speakers when i have the system set to AUX input and my headlights are on. It ONLY happens when the lights are on. It will not happen if my IPOD is plugged into the AUX input (and IPOD is on).

The foreman at the BMW dealer told me that there is no probelm with the car. He also proceeded to tell me that BMW released a bulletin that states that this is a known issue and that it doesnt have a fix. He stated that he will show me the bulletin once I go pick up the car. He explained that the noise is caused by electrical interference since the system is searching for any low voltage signal coming from the aux input.

Does this sound right to any of you? To me this seems like total BS. I dont recall the vehicle doing this before. It seemed to start happening after I got my car back from the BMW dealer when they resolved my last issue. There was a fault in my speaker wiring causing static in one speaker. The fixed the wiring and also upgraded (reprogrammed) the software in my car to the latest version.

If anyone knows about this issue or has a link to another posting discussing this, please let me know. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2004 530d. Poverty spec

Mine does exactly this - static buzz with headlights on with nothing in Aux. I usually hear it when I get home, turn off my Zen, drive into garage and auto lights come on. buzzzzzz.

My fix is as follows:

1. Don't switch to Aux with nothing plugged in to your aux socket

Et voila, problem solved. Seriously, is it that big a deal?
Old 09-17-2008, 07:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 530i w/ Sports Package

Originally Posted by boltoa' post='671217' date='Sep 17 2008, 01:44 AM
Mine does exactly this - static buzz with headlights on with nothing in Aux. I usually hear it when I get home, turn off my Zen, drive into garage and auto lights come on. buzzzzzz.

My fix is as follows:

1. Don't switch to Aux with nothing plugged in to your aux socket

Et voila, problem solved. Seriously, is it that big a deal?

It just blows me away that this is "by design." A car with this much engineering and price tag would have an issue like this...
Oh well, at least I'm not the only one with the issue. I still love my car. Thanks for the reply.