E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Aux port or CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 06:11 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2006

I have an 06 530i
Nav
Sat (not paying for service)
CD Changer

Can I add Aux?

Since I'm not adding iPod which uses the MOST Bus I'm assuming I can add Aux input and not loose anything.

I've read that iPod integration you have to give up CD Changer, I'm assuming that's not true with Aux.

Thanks
Andrew
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by andrewfromcali
I have an 06 530i
Nav
Sat (not paying for service)
CD Changer

Can I add Aux?

Since I'm not adding iPod which uses the MOST Bus I'm assuming I can add Aux input and not loose anything.

I've read that iPod integration you have to give up CD Changer, I'm assuming that's not true with Aux.

Thanks
Andrew
No, I know for sure on pre-LCI cars you cannot have AUX and CD Changer. Sorry Bro.

I completely agree with or_550, I have the AUX cable, it sounds fine, and I left my capacitors alone. Those that remove it or don't like the sound should look more at the source than the cable. It sounds great with my iPod Touch, and with my Galaxy S2. Then again I also have a BSW speaker upgrade and a JL Audio woofer in the trunk.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by pjinca
No, I know for sure on pre-LCI cars you cannot have AUX and CD Changer. Sorry Bro.

I completely agree with or_550, I have the AUX cable, it sounds fine, and I left my capacitors alone. Those that remove it or don't like the sound should look more at the source than the cable. It sounds great with my iPod Touch, and with my Galaxy S2. Then again I also have a BSW speaker upgrade and a JL Audio woofer in the trunk.
Actually I had an AUX port AND a 6cd changer (turned into an iPod interface, though) in my pre-LCI 530d!

- Antti -
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by Anzafin
Actually I had an AUX port AND a 6cd changer (turned into an iPod interface, though) in my pre-LCI 530d!

- Antti -

LOL, Antti, that begs 2 questions:
1) How? Everything I have read here forever said it couldn't be done, unless you added a Denison or something like that.
2) Why? I didn't bother with a CD changer since I have the AUX cable, and with ~30GB of music on my iPod, another ~10GB on my phone, plus SLacker and Pandora radio it made the CD changer redundant, I converted every CD I had to MP3 files a long time ago.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:59 AM
Contributors

As an AUX I mean an analog stereo plug in glove box.

- Antti -
Old 01-12-2013, 09:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Anzafin
As an AUX I mean an analog stereo plug in glove box.

- Antti -
So having an aux (just the analog plug) and the cd player (single disc not 6 cd changer) is possible? I find it hard to believe you have to choose one or the other!
Old 01-12-2013, 10:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ldesouza
So having an aux (just the analog plug) and the cd player (single disc not 6 cd changer) is possible? I find it hard to believe you have to choose one or the other!
Yes. Back then (2007) I didn't know anything about those things myself and took the car to the dealer to install the iPod interface and the AUX-port and the dealer never told me that it wouldn't be possible. The iPod interface replaced the cd changer but it shouldn't have anything to do with it, because the idrive still thinks it is the cd changer. Everything worked as expected.

- Antti -
Old 01-12-2013, 11:10 AM
Members

Listen buddy I installed the AUX on my 2005 525 and trust me... it will be the best thing you will ever do to your car. You get to keep your cd changer, single slot or whatever else you might have had doubts about. Best part? It cost $5 in total. Yes Coding will be required as your Head unit will not recognize the AUX that was installed. Best part? It takes a total of 1 minute to code this option (You have to have the tools, which I advise you and or everyone gets them)

The quality is superb, it is CD like. Everything works as intended, the sound mutes during phone calls, no static, and no need to purchase BMW's kit and or remove some crappy resistors. Buy your own basic cable. Good luck buddy

One thing to mention, if you go the AUX route, you cannot control your media via the IDRIVE, if you with the ipod emulation kit (where you lose your CD changer, then you are able to control it through I drive)
Old 01-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bymer
Listen buddy I installed the AUX on my 2005 525 and trust me... it will be the best thing you will ever do to your car. You get to keep your cd changer, single slot or whatever else you might have had doubts about. Best part? It cost $5 in total. Yes Coding will be required as your Head unit will not recognize the AUX that was installed. Best part? It takes a total of 1 minute to code this option (You have to have the tools, which I advise you and or everyone gets them)

The quality is superb, it is CD like. Everything works as intended, the sound mutes during phone calls, no static, and no need to purchase BMW's kit and or remove some crappy resistors. Buy your own basic cable. Good luck buddy

One thing to mention, if you go the AUX route, you cannot control your media via the IDRIVE, if you with the ipod emulation kit (where you lose your CD changer, then you are able to control it through I drive)
I just picked up the cable from BMW because I'm in a hurry to do it! It comes with the connector already, Do I just connect that to the connector behind the cd drive? The DIYs I saw, the cable was stripped and they just re-pinned the connector.

The coding I have done myself with NCSexpert. Hopefully everything works!
Old 01-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Members

Ah okay, bmw's cable should be even more straightforward as it should come with the tyco pins preinstalled, so yeah it should be plug and play behind the dash unit (cd drive).

Since you have everything coded via NCS, you are all set
I would first connect everything and hear the sound quality . (people reported back that it is missing bass, if it is too low for you, THEN you could consider removing the resistors, otherwise I wouldn't touch it )

Good luck and have fun

Quick Reply: Aux port or CD changer