E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Aux port or CD changer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

I know this has been discussed numerous times before. I went through many threads and spent a lot of time searching. My question is this:
I just got a Droid and would like to use it as a music player for my MP3s or listed to Pandora internet radio while in the car. My car is a 2004 545i. I would like to find a cheap or very inexpensive way to get my Droid connected to the audio system.

I considered the Aux accessory that BMW installs and removing the filters/capacitors. I would like to buy the part and do it myself but I heard that a programming is required or it will not work. Is there a way to do the programing without going to the dealer? (on the cheap)

I also heard that there is a way to remove the CD changer in the glove compartment and buy a special wires that will plug in the same cable where the changer was and hook it up to my Droid with the 1.8" mini plug. Did any one do this or heard anything about it? I like this option if it does not require programing and I can do it myself.

I ruled out the FM transmitter because of the possible interference and audio quality but if anyone can conivence me otherwise I may reconsider this option!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

I don't have the answer to these questions... but what I would like to know is how good is the quality of sound you get when you use the aux?
Is it as good as the ipod adapter?
Old 01-29-2010, 11:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Titanium Grey Metallic, Auto, Nav., Bluetooth, Cold Pkg., Comfort Seats, Premium Audio

Originally Posted by MitchBMW
I don't have the answer to these questions... but what I would like to know is how good is the quality of sound you get when you use the aux?
Is it as good as the ipod adapter?
I heard that the filters and capacitors that come with the aux adapter filter out the base and high frequencies. A lot of folks said that if removed, the sounds is as good as a CD.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by aosman
I considered the Aux accessory that BMW installs and removing the filters/capacitors. I would like to buy the part and do it myself but I heard that a programming is required or it will not work. Is there a way to do the programing without going to the dealer? (on the cheap)
Why do people remove the isolation caps? They are there for a fscking reason. All the posts of people that removed them have shown that 1) they aren't audio engineers 2) they are not electrical engineers 3) they usually don't know what they are doing/talking about.

The caps are there for DC isolation. The audio will travel through them with out any problems. Do not remove the caps or the resistors. If the source is not a line level out these things protect the Über expensive radio!

There is no way to get the AUX input to work with out coding. You might find a BMW certified shop that can do the coding but usually it's a trip to the dealer. It should not cost more than $75 for the coding. This actual install of the AUX cable is really easy and it does not need to be done by the dealer/shop.

Originally Posted by aosman
I heard that the filters and capacitors that come with the aux adapter filter out the base and high frequencies. A lot of folks said that if removed, the sounds is as good as a CD.
Again the people that have removed them are on crack. And lots of it. My [unadulterated] AUX input sounds _just_ like a CD (and the scope showed there was no degradation either).
Old 02-02-2010, 06:17 AM
Members

Exactly; while not an EE, I have built and repaired a lot of circuit componetry. The Caps and Resistors are there for a reason.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:22 AM
Members

I agree. I just installed an AUX input and debated about removing them but decided not to see how the sound was first. I'm glad I did because I think the sound is fine with the filters in place. I do have to increase the volume a bit more and I had to select a different equalizer on my Ipod to get the base up but overall its fine. I'm no audiophile though and only have the stock radio and speakers - no L7.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530iSport PackageLuxury Packagemore to come

I have hooked up my BlackBerry to the AUX input on the center console and it worked fine until I got a phone call. I forgot that because it was plugged in the phone thought I was using an ear piece.

Has anyone used the adapter that plugs into your main ipod connector and converts it to fit the mini jack? It is supposed to give completely unfiltered sound through the main connector. I'm at work and I don't remember the name of it but I can post a link to it when I get home if anyone asks.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by or_550i
Why do people remove the isolation caps? They are there for a fscking reason. All the posts of people that removed them have shown that 1) they aren't audio engineers 2) they are not electrical engineers 3) they usually don't know what they are doing/talking about.

The caps are there for DC isolation. The audio will travel through them with out any problems. Do not remove the caps or the resistors. If the source is not a line level out these things protect the Über expensive radio!

There is no way to get the AUX input to work with out coding. You might find a BMW certified shop that can do the coding but usually it's a trip to the dealer. It should not cost more than $75 for the coding. This actual install of the AUX cable is really easy and it does not need to be done by the dealer/shop.

Again the people that have removed them are on crack. And lots of it. My [unadulterated] AUX input sounds _just_ like a CD (and the scope showed there was no degradation either).
As an engineer, I agree with you that the filters should be left alone. Unfortunately, my aux input sounds quite tinny. :-(
Old 02-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

The Aux-In is rubbish. If you want a decent AUX use a Dension and its AUX-IN.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
The Aux-In is rubbish. If you want a decent AUX use a Dension and its AUX-IN.
I"m inclined to agree about the aux use. I guess you could use the usb cable that came with your Droid but will that allow the BT features (like switching of Pandora when you get an incoming call??)

I have a droid too and have thought about picking up a Dension too. Let me know what you decide and how you make out.
Maybe I'll try the aux connection when the snow melts and I can get into my car.

Quick Reply: Aux port or CD changer