E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Autoweek Column on the BMW fatality

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I recall reading last month a post from one of the E-60 members regarding the M5 that launched off a runway and into a tree, killing all aboard. Autoweek editor Dutch Mandel wrote about the accident in his column this week, and what really caught my eye was his mentioning the forum that the BMW pilot belonged to, and how members gave him advice on how to take it easy. Mandel soft pedaled the fact that a father bought his 18 year old son a 500 horsepower M5, but it really struck me as to the apparent responsibility we have as a "virtual community" on this board. Gave me pause to think about all of the posts we make indicating how fast we go, and how hard we drive our cars, and the message we seem to convey to readers. I have always advocated "drive it like you stole it", but perhaps some caveats need to be placed on our automotive enthusiasm for these wonderful cars for those whom cannnot seem to grasp the simple equation F=M(A).
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi- Alpine White, Natural Brown Interior, Sport Pack, Premium Pack, Comfort Access, 20 way Multi-contor seats, Navigation, 18" rims, Cold Weather Pack

i feel that spirited driving doesn't necessarily mean flooring the gas pedal and seeing how fast you can max out your car, when you buy a bmw you buy it for its handling, speed, comfort, engine, and looks. I dont know or remember all the facts of the story but i do believe the driver had several passengers in the car and was trespassing on a runway that he was unfamiliar with. I have been a member here since sept. and can not recall many, if any, posts that recommend anyone doing this. Any posts that talk about racing or driving recklessly is usually followed by post saying how dumb and unsafe stuff like that is. I feel that this driver was irresponsible and careless. It is a shame what happened to these people but the driver is to blame with no encouragement from the forum.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by studavis' post='531100' date='Feb 13 2008, 06:38 PM
Mandel soft pedaled the fact that a father bought his 18 year old son a 500 horsepower M5,
Softpedaled?

Could advanced driver training have saved Josh and his four friends? It's tough to say. Could respect for his car's abilities have altered his behavior that night? Absolutely.

Here's a bigger question: How could a father arm a child with such a machine, particularly without skills to control it?

I know that 18-year-olds are adults. I know a few who can handle such a ride, such as pro race driver Graham Rahal.

But this is one situation where parents must be accountable and just say no.

We want our kids to have it better than we did. It's natural. But we must balance that want with tough love and sensibility.

If we are unwilling to do that, more children like Josh will kill themselves and their friends.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Similar thing happed about two years ago in Manhattan on the West Side Highway. 17year old was driving his father's CL600 and killed himself and a few friends. Really is a shame. My boys are 15 & 12 and whenever we drive together I try to explain to them the importance of safely and control. They have been grilled endlessly about such things are maintaining safe distance from the vehicle in front of them and avoiding potential dangers. One can only hope and pray. His poor parents.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ' post='531136' date='Feb 13 2008, 07:48 PM
His poor parents.
While I do feel for his parents, I feel worse for the parents of Josh's passengers. Josh's folks are at least partially responsible for the tragedy - the other parents aren't.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Contributors

You can tell your kids all you want about control, danger, etc....but when you are 18 years old you are immortal (I know I was) and young people lack the judgement and experience to handle a car like that. It is incumbent upon parents and more experienced drivers to limit access to these cars. Let your 18 year old drive the car sure, but only when you are with him.

These unfortunate young people are not stupid, nor did they want to destroy the car, themselves or their friends, in every case they honestly believed they were in control.....sort of like the impaired driver that believes he has the reaction times of formula driver even after 6 beers.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

In case anyone wants to read the entire article, you can do so by clicking here:
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...16803/1028/FREE
Old 02-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 02-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Recently here in Charlotte the drag racer Doug Herbert lost his two sons to driving without care. Perhaps stories like these will give some pause to their own guys their age.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23059830/

Old 02-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 550 i, mystic blue, black leather, cold weather package, nav, sport, shades, bags, rear heat, V1 hardwired. 05 F350 TD Crew Cab 04 Range Rover HSE 91 964 C4 Cabrio 07 997 Turbo Cabrio

I think that Mandel soft pedaled the contributory negligence aspect of the article. I really would have gone after it, rolled in some seriously prejudicial statements, and ended with something like what this father did was no different than handing a loaded gun to a meth addict. Face it, outside of a couple of thousand people on the planet, few people have any idea what an M5 is capable of, let alone the significance of a car with 500 hp. I won't hand the keys to my 993 to my wife, let alone an 18 year old kid and she has been driving for 20 years. It just irks me, and perhaps I am hypersensitive with a newborn, but the profound waste of human life in this situation is just tragic. I hand it to Dutch, and visa vie Autoweek, because they have made significant strides in increasing teen driving skills through their seminars, and furthering the cause for better trained drivers. I'm climbing off my soap box on this now, but if I were the editor of a major national magazine, I would have railed on this topic like a biting sow.