E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Wiper Operation

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 05:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hlmicky' post='309091' date='Jul 10 2006, 06:24 PM
Don't the headlights get switched on automatically when the light swith and the wipers are set to automatic?
I'm sure that this feature works on the smaller BMWs (E87 1 Series, E90 3 Series)
Nope. Not in E39, E53 or E60. But if you know of a way to get it to work that way please let me know.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tegel' post='308954' date='Jul 10 2006, 05:10 PM
I don't agree. To have manual override on an automatic system is very good and very BMW-like.

One situation where you don't want wipers to wipe automatically is in a car wash or if the wiper is frozen to the windscreen. Actually, the only situation when you would like them to wipe is when it rains and then you just push auto.

BMW have always designed all their automatic systems to support the driver, not to replace him and the implementation of the wipers in e60 is far better than in the e39, where you had to push the lever to "step 1" to engage auto wiping.

/M
Granted! There is a need for a manual overide. The question is when is the manual overide necessary? Only when i need to disengage the system from operating automatically. How many times do you visit the wash bay? Merc thought this thru far more indepth i must say. the PROGMAN should handle the automatic use of the wiper with a manul overide which can be engaged anytime the driver feels it's a nuisance... that is a better idea of a overide... Why then does DSC+, ABS etc get automatically engaged when you start the car... yet with an option to manually disengage the DSC if you don't' want it? We are not replacing the driver here... we are keeping the driver more focused on driving issues and letting the very ordinary things be done by computers... What is someone driving infront of you suddenly splashed water on your windscreen?

http://www.bmw.com.au/script/technol...logy.asp?id=15

BMW defines the benefit of the rain sensor below:

"The rain sensor is an innovative factor in driving comfort and road safety. The windscreen is kept clear by optimised wiper action even when conditions change rapidly - for example when you overtake on a wet road."

So this vindicates the point that the funtion should be made automatic by default but with a manual overide for such cases as wash bays etc. It will have no impact on drivers ability and infact will factor in the issue of hieghtened safety.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redhat_man' post='309354' date='Jul 11 2006, 10:32 AM
Granted! There is a need for a manual overide. The question is when is the manual overide necessary? Only when i need to disengage the system from operating automatically. How many times do you visit the wash bay? Merc thought this thru far more indepth i must say. the PROGMAN should handle the automatic use of the wiper with a manul overide which can be engaged anytime the driver feels it's a nuisance... that is a better idea of a overide... Why then does DSC+, ABS etc get automatically engaged when you start the car... yet with an option to manually disengage the DSC if you don't' want it? We are not replacing the driver here... we are keeping the driver more focused on driving issues and letting the very ordinary things be done by computers... helloooo - that's the whole idea of automation...
A) Some are focused on driving issues so that when they visit the wash bay on a rare ocasion, they forget to disengage what might be otherwise engaged by default.

DSC is engaged by default because it is designed to be a safety feature and individuals turn it off when they feel they want turn it off.

ABC
Old 07-11-2006, 04:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='309366' date='Jul 11 2006, 10:16 AM
A) Some are focused on driving issues so that when they visit the wash bay on a rare ocasion, they forget to disengage what might be otherwise engaged by default.

DSC is engaged by default because it is designed to be a safety feature and individuals turn it off when they feel they want turn it off.

ABC
A) A WARNING Notice is usually to be placed at wash bays that request owners to turn of Automatic Wippers.

Auto Wipper is a safety feature that you don't switch on everytime you start a Merc. And whenever i was in a washing bay, forgetting to turn it off, the few drops of shampoo was enough a moment to let me know that I had to turn it off.
Old 07-11-2006, 04:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by redhat_man' post='309384' date='Jul 11 2006, 01:01 PM
A) A WARNING Notice is usually to be placed at wash bays that request owners to turn of Automatic Wippers.

Auto Wipper is a safety feature that you don't switch on everytime you start a Merc. And whenever i was in a washing bay, forgetting to turn it off, the few drops of shampoo was enough a moment to let me know that I had to turn it off.
A) Maybe in advanced countries which have a high percentage of cars with this feature.. Not AFAIK (or a least rarely) in the UK.

Auto Wiper is hardly a safety feature and manufacturers implement them differently.

I believe it's called choice.

ABC
Old 07-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Members

My E39 wipers were the best solution: always off unless you left the lever in the automagic postion - which I did. Once or twice I forgot to switch it off in the car wash, but I always had plenty of time to do it before the human beings (I don't do brush carwashes) get anywhere near the car.

One thing I think is awful about the rain sensor on the E60 is that it's way too sensitive, and is almost always constantly on (slow speed) even in light rain. Is this dealer adjustable, because it drives me nuts?
Old 07-11-2006, 06:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cjbryce' post='309392' date='Jul 11 2006, 08:52 AM
My E39 wipers were the best solution: always off unless you left the lever in the automagic postion - which I did. Once or twice I forgot to switch it off in the car wash, but I always had plenty of time to do it before the human beings (I don't do brush carwashes) get anywhere near the car.
My E39 was on when left in the auto position but after the car was turned off you would need to move the lever to the off position then back to the auto position. My E53 operated in the same way. It wasn't always in Auto much like the E60. However, the E60 seems more logical to me.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Originally Posted by redhat_man' post='309384' date='Jul 11 2006, 08:01 AM

b What about car washes where you don't stay in the car?
Old 07-11-2006, 07:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by VTbound' post='309413' date='Jul 11 2006, 03:46 PM
b What about car washes where you don't stay in the car?

Surely engine off, keys out and therefore wipers off anyway

Or easy-to-steal-and-not-insured car
Old 07-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by cameron' post='308870' date='Jul 10 2006, 09:10 AM
I set my windscreen wipers to Auto. Is it right that the car doesn't save this setting when you switch off the engine??. Every time I get in I have to push the button again which is annoying the hell out of me. Seems pointless having an auto feature when you have to manually set it every time you step in the car.

Cheers
Cameron

Dude, you live in a rain forest or the Emerald Isle? Otherwise, it can't be that bad. Auto modes should be reset everytime you restart. How about having cruise control on all the time??

CVT Benhogan

Quick Reply: Automatic Wiper Operation