E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)

I was in the process of pulling out my radiator fan and in trying to bend in that clip on the right it broke the top of the Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat part that connect to the house.

It looks the top is a clip but I can't find a part number for it.

Question: Do I have to replace the whole Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat unit or is that top clip replaceable? Has anyone done it and what do I need to look out for other than draining the coolant.

I included a picture of the section that looks like it could be separate from the Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)-thermo.jpg   Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)-thermo2.jpg  

Last edited by rocksteady530; 09-02-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: additional image
Old 09-02-2013, 09:32 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

It looks like you need to replace the entire thermostat unit (approx. $80).
Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DanL
It looks like you need to replace the entire thermostat unit (approx. $80).
Yeah thanks..that's what it looks like. Will have to take the hit with the stealers tomorrow since I need to get that replace ASAP.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

how exactly were you trying to "bend in that clip"? the clip appears to slide out to release the 'nipple', which looks like you can replace, but may only be sold with the whole manifold.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:50 PM
Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
how exactly were you trying to "bend in that clip"? the clip appears to slide out to release the 'nipple', which looks like you can replace, but may only be sold with the whole manifold.
Turboawd, let me clarify, when I say "bend in that clip" I meant the bracket on the fan (see attached diagram) that can bend inward/outward (depending on your view) in order for you to lift out the fan.

When trying to bend that bracket you have to squeeze it between two hose and in doing so it snap the connector/nipple to the A/T thermostat that one of the hose connected to (see my original diagram in the OP). The "clip" on the thermostat itself looks like it should be able to be removed and get the broken nipple out but so far it looks like they are sold as one part. Can't find a part number for that nipple.

So I am looking into how to remove teh A/T Thermostat or any DIY.
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)-shroud.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by rocksteady530
Turboawd, let me clarify, when I say "bend in that clip" I meant the bracket on the fan (see attached diagram) that can bend inward/outward (depending on your view) in order for you to lift out the fan.

When trying to bend that bracket you have to squeeze it between two hose and in doing so it snap the connector/nipple to the A/T thermostat that one of the hose connected to (see my original diagram in the OP). The "clip" on the thermostat itself looks like it should be able to be removed and get the broken nipple out but so far it looks like they are sold as one part. Can't find a part number for that nipple.

So I am looking into how to remove teh A/T Thermostat or any DIY.
gotcha.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:24 PM
Members

Closure to my OP. Bit the bullet and got the part from the dealer and replaced it today. There are two parts needed. The Thermostat itself and the rubber seal (you could use the existing one). The job itself is not hard..the key is to drain the coolant and remove the clips connecting the hose to the unit.
The following users liked this post:
Quetara (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 08:19 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i E60 N52 2007
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 525i E60 N52

The same thing happened to me when trying to reinstall the fan. Big bummer, b/c after that I would have finished the job. I guess the plastic becomes brittle over time with heat-cycling and snaps off easier.
I know this is an old thread, but if somebody has found a link to useful repair instructions, I'd be grateful.
525i E60 N52 2007 ~180k-miles

jgo052602 (02-21-2024)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

I don't know if you'll find repair instructions since it's a fairly easy DIY. You unhook the the 2 hoses and unbolt the thermostat. Took me all of 5 mins to do. Ensure you have new gaskets when doing it
jgo052602 (02-21-2024)
Old 12-03-2022, 08:06 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 525i E60 N52 2007
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 525i E60 N52

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
I don't know if you'll find repair instructions since it's a fairly easy DIY. You unhook the the 2 hoses and unbolt the thermostat. Took me all of 5 mins to do. Ensure you have new gaskets when doing it
When this plastic hose bib broke off, some fluid ran out onto the asphalt until I plugged it. My initial assumption was that this fluid coming out of the plastic ATC thermostat housing would the regular radiator cooling fluid, and it should have dried up on the asphalt. But it didn't dry up, looks like an oil stain on the ground.

So, is this transmission fluid/oil?
How to tell?

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat tip broke (HELP)