E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Red Light Enforcement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Automatic Red Light Enforcement

The ticket shows a $490 fine.

Anyone every used the service of this company and what do you think?
Contact Us | California Traffic Ticket

The camera took pictures of the following:
1. Driver (registered owner)
2. Back license plate
3. Back view of the the car behind the "first white line" of the pedestrian cross-walk. The time of this photo shot was 6:47:07.5 PM.
3. 2nd back view of the car "crossing over the second white line" of the pedestrian cross-walk. The time was 6:47:08.08 PM (notice the two time frames).
4. The car was moving at 15 MPH, going west-bound on South Street. It was making a right turn on lane #4 (farthest to the right, going North), going toward Gridley Rd.
5. It was a major intersection and according to the photo, there was not a single car in moving between lane #4 and #3 going "north-bound" . Although the poor soul (driver, lol) could have stopped first and proceeded with more caution, he knew it was totally save to turn right and it was a bit too late to avoid such scenario.
6. From review of the video, the driver's car shows that he did stepped on the brake at least three feet before his front bumper (before he proceeded to turn right) hits the first white line of the pedestrian crosswalk. At the time, there were at least four (or five) other cars still moving "at the intersection" (west and east bound). Cars in opposite direction, waiting for their turns to turn left (west-bound) were still behind their first white line of the pedestrian cross-walk.

What do you guys think? Can he/she fight and win so he/she can use that money for some minor mods?

Thanks in advance,

The messenger, LLC.( lol).
Attached Thumbnails Automatic Red Light Enforcement-time-light-turns-red.jpg   Automatic Red Light Enforcement-time-he-stepped-brake-prior-turning-left..jpg   Automatic Red Light Enforcement-time-when-he-knew-safe-turn-right..jpg   Automatic Red Light Enforcement-less-than-second-after-he-turns-right..jpg  

Last edited by E60I; 02-24-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:23 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess a lot depends on the CA law and how they handle those tickets.

In AZ, if you don't answer the ticket in the mail you, or an adult that lives in your household, must be personally served with a summons.

I happen to live far enough from the location of the company that serves the summons that if they attempt to serve a summons in my area and miss the person, the time and gas expense negates any profit so they don't even try. Most of my neighbors that get them throw them away.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I guess a lot depends on the CA law and how they handle those tickets.

In AZ, if you don't answer the ticket in the mail you, or an adult that lives in your household, must be personally served with a summons.

I happen to live far enough from the location of the company that serves the summons that if they attempt to serve a summons in my area and miss the person, the time and gas expense negates any profit so they don't even try. Most of my neighbors that get them throw them away.
I don't mind paying for the violation if I clearly deserved it. The video or picture clearly showed I did stepped on the brake at least three feet prior to using good judgement when I proceeded to turn right. I have seen a lot of people "turning right" with cautions when the light is red.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60I
I don't mind paying for the violation if I clearly deserved it. The video or picture clearly showed I did stepped on the brake at least three feet prior to using good judgement when I proceeded to turn right. I have seen a lot of people "turning right" with cautions when the light is red.

What do you guys think?
Based upon the times provided, it appears that you never stopped completely before entering the crosswalk. Had you stopped completely before entering the crosswalk, observed no pedestrians and then edged forward to get a better view to your left, then proceeded I think you would have a case. IMHO based upon what I see, no you don't have a good argument.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Based upon the times provided, it appears that you never stopped completely before entering the crosswalk. Had you stopped completely before entering the crosswalk, observed no pedestrians and then edged forward to get a better view to your left, then proceeded I think you would have a case. IMHO based upon what I see, no you don't have a good argument.
I was turning right. What I did was a "California Stop". I guess I did not make a "complete" stop prior to entering the crosswalk.

As we all know, most BMW drivers know how to drive. Rather than participate, we "anticipate" and know how to proceed with utmost care (because we love our cars).

What I did was with good judgment and don't deserve to ruin my 10+ years of perfect driving record. After all, I did stepped on the brake at least 3 feet prior to making my right turn. My BMW driving skills and tunnel vision can see things many seconds ahead...
Old 02-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60I
I was turning right. What I did was a "California Stop". I guess I did not make a "complete" stop prior to entering the crosswalk.

As we all know, most BMW drivers know how to drive. Rather than participate, we "anticipate" and know how to proceed with utmost care (because we love our cars).

What I did was with good judgment and don't deserve to ruin my 10+ years of perfect driving record. After all, I did stepped on the brake at least 3 feet prior to making my right turn. My BMW driving skills and tunnel vision can see things many seconds ahead...
I totally agree with you, and perform the same maneuver the same way myself each day. I just tried to put the "officers" hat on and quote from the statutes, which is what you will face if you go to court.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM
Members
Senior Members

I totally agree with you, and perform the same maneuver the same way myself each day. I just tried to put the "officers" hat on and quote from the statutes, which is what you will face if you go to court.
I guess I will have to take traffic school to keep my driving record clean. On the other hand, I might likely contact the entity from my first post to see if they can do anything to lessen the total costs of this case.

Anyone out there who think they can come up with better alternatives, please don't hesitate to share your experiences or creativities.

Thank you for your points of view.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Dude, didn't the state court throw out red light camera citations in LA County? The joke goes if they send you a pick of you running a red you can send them a pic of you writing a check to pay it.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Dude, didn't the state court throw out red light camera citations in LA County? The joke goes if they send you a pick of you running a red you can send them a pic of you writing a check to pay it.
Sorry, I don't understand the joke.

Do I send the picture of me writing a $490 check with the check attached in the envelope?

And if I send a pick of me writing a check without the actual checked attached, will I still need to take another pic when they decided to send me to jail?
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by pjinca
The joke goes if they send you a pick of you running a red you can send them a pic of you writing a check to pay it.
The urban legend/email forward says some guy in DC mailed them a photo of his check, and then Metro Police mailed him back a picture of handcuffs....he paid up.

Quick Reply: Automatic Red Light Enforcement