E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUTOMATIC or Manual ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive only ever had autos, but having ridden in an Manual Audi A4 the other day,

It looks like a lot of fun, but do you get tired of after a while, Does it become tiresome or too much work while driving ?

How is the Manual tranny on the 06 5 series?

Does manual affect resale value?

Thanks,

EDIT I MEANT 5 -series
Old 08-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by vinm5' post='462321' date='Aug 25 2007, 12:27 AM
Ive only ever had autos, but having ridden in an Manual Audi A4 the other day,

It looks like a lot of fun, but do you get tired of after a while, Does it become tiresome or too much work while driving ?

How is the Manual tranny on the 06 3 series?

Does manual affect resale value?

Thanks,
Can it become tiresome? Yes, depends on what kind of driving you do (lot's of stop and go) and what you're used too.

Can't comment on the '06 3 series.

Yes it affects the resale in that manual buyers are a smaller market. There are buyers for sure but it tends to be a smaller subset...
Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Members

It also depends on the driver too. I live with the stop and go traffic of Los Angeles, but it doen't bother me. Without a manual, my left foot wouldn't have anything to do!

For me, driving a manual is the experience of driving. My first manual was a '95 M3 ? I had test driven an automatic and was bored. Next car was a '01 540 M Sport with manual. Now I have a 535xit on order with a manual. The day BMW stops making real manuals will be the day I'll never sell my current manual BMW.

I'm also lucky in that my wife loves a car with manual as well ? she drives an '01 330.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='462325' date='Aug 25 2007, 12:34 AM
Can it become tiresome? Yes, depends on what kind of driving you do (lot's of stop and go) and what you're used too.

Can't comment on the '06 3 series.

Yes it affects the resale in that manual buyers are a smaller market. There are buyers for sure but it tends to be a smaller subset...
+1. But if you think of it... manual cars are getting less too.. and if you go back to supply and demand theory..... the manual might fetch a higher resale......
Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2003 530d

Yes your left foot will get tired, regardless of what kind of traffic/terrain you regularly drive.
BMW's latest autos are very sporty already. If you want more, get SMG.

Manual is great fun but only if you can afford to have it as a weekend-car.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='462388' date='Aug 25 2007, 09:47 AM
Yes your left foot will get tired, regardless of what kind of traffic/terrain you regularly drive.
Bull crap.

#1: The clutch is not heavy at all.

#2: Your left foot will be less tired than your right foot with a slushbox.

Driving in slow traffic with an automatic goes something like this, "Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake!..."
With a manual, I can manage the speed of the car between a walking pace and 20 mph without even touching the brake or clutch.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='462397' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:55 AM
Bull crap.

#1: The clutch is not heavy at all.

#2: Your left foot will be less tired than your right foot with a slushbox.

Driving in slow traffic with an automatic goes something like this, "Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake! Gas! Brake!..."
With a manual, I can manage the speed of the car between a walking pace and 20 mph without even touching the brake or clutch.
I driven manuals pretty much for ever and I agree that I never felt that my left foot got tired, even in traffic. After driving the SMG for 3 years, I must admit that it was pretty nice to be able to keep the left foot planted on the dead pedal while shifting, etc. and not give it a work out.

As far as the automatic scenario you described above, keep in mind that with active cruise control (with the stop and go feature) it goes more like sit back, relax, pay attention but let the car do the gas, brake, gas, brake...

That said, is it even possible to have the stop and go feature with a manual transmission?
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Members

I just ordered a 528i with manual transmission. Should be here in October. I have driven a manual pretty much the last thirty years. My current car is a manual (Acura Legend Cp.). Anybody who says their left foot/leg gets tired from driving a stick has some serious fitness issues.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='462404' date='Aug 25 2007, 11:25 AM
That said, is it even possible to have the stop and go feature with a manual transmission?
I can't see how it would be practical with a manual.

Also, to temper my initial reaction a bit, I think the 'tiring' issue with a manual not physical, it is mental. The manual requires more involvement from the driver; some drivers don't want to be engaged with their cars at this level all of the time.

However, with an auto, you are not only not required to be involved, it actively impedes your ability to do so.

The SMG and new SAT are in between, with the SMG distinctly more like the manual, and the SAT more like the conventional automatic.

Driving a manual, I feel that I have a sharp sense of the car. You can more or less feel the kinetic energy of the car going down the road, just by the reaction of the car when you lift the throttle slightly.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Lightbulb

i think go for a Auto, i wanted a manual of my car first after trading in my X5 3.Od. When i asked to buy a manual box, my dealer goes "for what ever for", one think is re-sale market, and further people were surprised that i asked for a manual, it came across to me , at the time that most choosed to buy a autobox.

NOw that i have auto 530d remapped, the box is excellent, i rarely go into the M , and if i wana move then simply in the DS.
downside is the turbo lag you get in high gears at low speeds......

Im real happy with the autobox otherwise, and would reccommend it unless your buying like a 550i and then modded it.

E60BEEMER

Quick Reply: AUTOMATIC or Manual ??