E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Light Sensor - Lights are on in full daylight

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like others have similar issues.

@Gilgorm: I think you might be on to something. It does look like when the sunlight is from "behind" the car, the Xenon's gets turned on. Not sure if the RLS module can detect angle/direction of the light.

@AchtungE60: I did not try to adjust with Progman, but used NCSExpert to modify the trace file of the RLS module. Still not working as expected.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Thanks for all the replies.

Looks like others have similar issues.

@Gilgorm: I think you might be on to something. It does look like when the sunlight is from "behind" the car, the Xenon's gets turned on. Not sure if the RLS module can detect angle/direction of the light.

@AchtungE60: I did not try to adjust with Progman, but used NCSExpert to modify the trace file of the RLS module. Still not working as expected.
NCS will manipulate the file and that change can go away. I think you can do two ways through Progman. I THINK through CKM but I know for sure there is a path in Progman that allows for the Auto lights to be sensitive, very sensitive and normal.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by thomassteen
Just to clarify my point is that I am driving "toward" the sunlight when it is about to set and the sun is very low in the sky.
They do also turn on when the sensor is faced away from the sunlight but only near sundown.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
NCS will manipulate the file and that change can go away. I think you can do two ways through Progman. I THINK through CKM but I know for sure there is a path in Progman that allows for the Auto lights to be sensitive, very sensitive and normal.
The settings seems to stay - when I read back the trc file, the setting is still there. I may try to play around with Progman to see if that changes anything.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Just to clarify my point is that I am driving "toward" the sunlight when it is about to set and the sun is very low in the sky.
They do also turn on when the sensor is faced away from the sunlight but only near sundown.
Ok - yes I think that matches what I am experiencing also. So my thinking was that maybe the sensor detects the "angle" of the light. Ie., if the sun it about to set, the lights would turn on even though the light intensity is high?

Anyway - the reality is that the light is on in conditions where it obviously should be off :-)
Old 03-15-2012, 06:52 PM
New Members

Interesting, I have an 08 535i and when I have my headlight control on "Auto", it runs the lights the same as if the switch was "On". When I turn the switch to the "Off" position my AE's are on. I'm not sure why the headlights are on in "auto" and "on" position.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:53 PM
New Members

Interesting, I have an 08 535i and when I have my headlight control on "Auto", it runs the lights the same as if the switch was "On". When I turn the switch to the "Off" position my AE's are on. I'm not sure why the headlights are on in "auto" and "on" position.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bigmacslim
You probably have Daylight Running Lights enabled in your IDrive settings.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Contributors

Ok - sorted it! Looks like I was misinterpreting the values when coding using NCSExpert. I programmed the value to Wert_02 and now the lights stay off in sunlight and comes on when it gets dark
Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Can you use INPA to adjust the sensitivity of the RLS?

Quick Reply: Automatic Light Sensor - Lights are on in full daylight