E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Light Sensor - Lights are on in full daylight

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Hi

I recently upgraded to LCI lights, and at the same time coded the car to have AE as DRL - pretty cool feature. What is not so cool is that the Xenons are turned on even though there is clear blue skies. Today it was overcast and grey - guess what... The Xenon's were off and AE's were on as DRL

I tried changing the sensitivity setting in the RLS module - Going from "Sensitive" to "Normal" - "wert02". Still the lights are on when the Sun is out...

Anybody else have similar problems?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Is it possible you have the leads reversed?
Old 03-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2003 E60 520i Black Metalic. Glass Sun Roof, Climate Control High, Bluetooth, Leather Memory, PDC, Adaptive Xenon, Navi Pro, Voice Control, Ipod, Folding rear seats, OEM 172 19" Summer Wheels, OEM 138 17" Winter Wheels.

Originally Posted by pukka
Is it possible you have the leads reversed?
Not sure what you mean, but wiring for LCI upgrade is ok. Everything works as it should. When it is dark, the lights are on as they should be. The problem is during the day time. I was maybe exagerating a little, but the problem is that in conditions where I would have expected the lights to be off they are actually on. I guess today in the overcast weather, it was ok for them to be off, but a little weird when they are on in lighter conditions.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Contributors

No one else with this problem?
Old 03-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

I'm running stock xenon lights but have noticed (in Auto mode with DRL off) that on many perfectly bright days, I expect the lights not to switch, so I flick the key and start the engine, and on come the lights!

The cutoff point isn't programmed/calibrated properly in the e60!!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D Tourer - Pre LCI

I'm currently having this problem with my pre LCI - bought a new light module (as my halos aren't working) which i am having fitted/coded this week - i'll keep you updated if this works, assuming you dont solve in the mean time
Old 03-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Members

Hi there.
My del seem to kick in at the right time, I don't to have this problem. What I have found is when I select drl, my low beams actually turn on during the day instead of my angel lights alone. Is this normal??

I believe I might already have the lci package because I have led lights on the front and back.

Also how do I know if my globes are xenon or halogen ? I have a 525i m sports professional with some led lights installed.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Originally Posted by thomassteen
When it is dark, the lights are on as they should be. The problem is during the day time. I was maybe exagerating a little, but the problem is that in conditions where I would have expected the lights to be off they are actually on. I guess today in the overcast weather, it was ok for them to be off, but a little weird when they are on in lighter conditions.
My stock LCI headlights have DRL on all the time(mandatory in Canada and not adjustable). Often, with the bright sun shining in my eyes, the full headlights will come on automatically. I suspect this is a default so oncoming cars can see you in the bright sun. Otherwise, the lights turn on and off as you would expect. Don't forget they also come on when the wipers are on as well.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by Antoun
Hi there.
My del seem to kick in at the right time, I don't to have this problem. What I have found is when I select drl, my low beams actually turn on during the day instead of my angel lights alone. Is this normal??

I believe I might already have the lci package because I have led lights on the front and back.

Also how do I know if my globes are xenon or halogen ? I have a 525i m sports professional with some led lights installed.
Post a picture, we can tell you. Or the year. Since it's a 525, it's probably a pre-LCI.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

You can adjust the sensitivity with Progman if you have it.

Quick Reply: Automatic Light Sensor - Lights are on in full daylight