E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic gearbox losing transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 12:38 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 525i M-Sport pack
Model Year: BMW E60 525i A/T 2005 Sportpac
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by banglenot
Hi, folks, been awhile.

That #3 part circled in the above message?

If it's original, there's a 95% probability it will break as you work on moving the intake manifold for some reason (like a new starter), or if you replace your valve cover gasket.

Fair warning: buy a new one (about $50) and have it ready when you start the above jobs. Almost a certainty you'll need it. Or just replace it, because even if you get by it this time, it'll break the next time. Anyway, OP, this likely helped your Vacuum Leak condition as well, which you probabaly didn't know you had. These come in two versions, heated and unheated.

Sometimes it breaks just because it's old and a crappy plastic. Or it hates you.

#4 is the same crappy plastic, but it doesn't sit on top of the engine so lasts longer.

#2 doesn't get stressed because of it's location. so it's likely low risk.

Banglenot
Hi Banglenot,

You are correct that, the Vent-pipe (Part #3) is getting damage when you fiddle with the intake. I believe I’ve broke it in year 2017 when I was fixing my Starter motor bendix, I did not know that every time you move shift the intake manifold you need to uncouple it from the CamHood.

Now my question is: The broken pipe is been open to atmosphere for almost 3 years and inside the pipe the ingress of dust + oil fumes caused the mud in the broken pipe, how do I test if my CCV is still in good condition. 2nd question, is the CCV serviceable, like to be cleaned 🤷🏾‍♂️.

At first I thought the oil leak was coming from Oil Pan gasket, then I bought the gasket and its aluminum bolts. While I was preparing for this task is when I found that leak is from CCV vent pipe.
Now I‘m sitting with new Oil pan Gasket & bolts, I am selling them for ˝ Price because the OEM states the 7 days has passed for return to store. I am in South Africa, Mpumalanga

Thank you for all the inputs, this Forum is our workshop
Old 03-14-2022, 04:53 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i, 2010 535, 2010 535xi

Originally Posted by twh
OP, best I can tell, that hose that you have circled is an emissions hose. It is part of the crankcase ventilation system. Now, a failed CCV system can have excessive oil in the hoses and you may even have excessive engine oil consumption -- like, do you have to add a quart regularly?

And, if it is leaking excessively from there and down to where the starter is, the crankshaft position sensor is under the starter. If that gets messed up, it can throw transmission fault codes.

I'm not saying this is definitively your problem, but it is a plausible.
he said his trans is slipping, sounds like a mechatronic rebuild with quality parts not Amazon.