E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Automatic Door Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 06:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi - Monaco Blue - Beige interior - Premium & Cold Weather Packages - Navigation
Thumbs up

Hello! My wife and I just purchased our first BMW last week and are trying to get a handle on all of it's features. I've poured through the owners manual and haven't found the solution, but I hope there is one. On my F150, when you put the truck in gear it will automatically lock the doors. Drive to wherever you are going and when you put the vehicle in park, the doors automatically unlock. I've messed with the I drive and found the option to turn the automatic locks on, but for some reason they don't unlock automatically. Now my wife has to pull the drivers door handle twice in order to exit the car, and it's driving her nuts! Please tell me the german engineers, with all the electronic marvels in these cars, didn't overlook such a simple idea? Maybe there's some idea that I'm overlooking and why it's not available. I like the idea of automatic locks, as she sometimes have to drive through a pretty rough area. BTW, nice forum! I'll be filling out my bio and such soon. ......and yes I used the search function
Old 02-27-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

The park-unlock the drive-lock feature is not available on the E60's. You get used to pulling the door handle twice after a while
Old 02-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535d M-Sport '06 Plate - Carbon Black - Black Leather - Pro Sat Nav - Logic 7 - HUD - Bluetooth - Privacy Glass - 172M 19" Alloys - Heated Seats - PDC - Adaptive Headlights - Extended Voice Control - Paintshield Extended - M5 Boot Finisher - Bright White LED Internal Lighting - Dension Gateway 500 Ipod/USB/Aux Integration

I guess the BMW engineers figured that if you're sitting at the lights in a rough area and put the car into park for some reason they didn't want the doors unlocking thus letting some unsavoury character ask you to politely exit your vehicle so he can get in!

Marc
Old 02-27-2009, 06:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 (53) 530i SE Auto - Titanium Silver|18" Style 124|Grey Dakota Leather|Logic 7|Xenons|Full PDC|Elec Folding Mirrors|

My car (UK Spec, 03 530i) will unlock the doors automatically once the engine is turned off.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

I had the automatic door lock capabilities on my '03 S-60 and my '06 Chrysler 300, so I understand how not having takes a bit of an adjustment. Why not just hit the unlock button in the middle of the dash when exiting the car? Problem solved!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:07 AM
Contributors

The car WILL lock itself after rolling a few feet. However, as someone else said, get used to pulling the handle 2 times.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by buening' post='802973' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:21 PM
Hello! My wife and I just purchased our first BMW last week and are trying to get a handle on all of it's features. I've poured through the owners manual and haven't found the solution, but I hope there is one. On my F150, when you put the truck in gear it will automatically lock the doors. Drive to wherever you are going and when you put the vehicle in park, the doors automatically unlock. I've messed with the I drive and found the option to turn the automatic locks on, but for some reason they don't unlock automatically. Now my wife has to pull the drivers door handle twice in order to exit the car, and it's driving her nuts! Please tell me the german engineers, with all the electronic marvels in these cars, didn't overlook such a simple idea? Maybe there's some idea that I'm overlooking and why it's not available. I like the idea of automatic locks, as she sometimes have to drive through a pretty rough area. BTW, nice forum! I'll be filling out my bio and such soon. ......and yes I used the search function
BMW safety feature, to avoid someone take on or take off while driver just park only
Old 02-27-2009, 07:11 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Originally Posted by one4thethumb' post='803006' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:03 AM
I had the automatic door lock capabilities on my '03 S-60 and my '06 Chrysler 300, so I understand how not having takes a bit of an adjustment. Why not just hit the unlock button in the middle of the dash when exiting the car? Problem solved!

+1

I like the auto Lock feature, but there is no auto unlock feature to my knowledge.

Be careful of the double pull method. Although the door handles on the e60 are much better quality than my e39, I had one of the handles break off in my hand from the double pull deal in the e39.

I've just gotten into the habit of when I stop, I push the stop button, push the key to disengage, and push the door unlock button on the dash. It only took a week to get into the habit.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Members

BMW automobiles used to have the auto unlock feature. My 2002 745i initially would auto unlock when you turned the engine off by hitting the stop button. However, a later software "upgrade" removed that feature for safety reasons as I understand it, as posted by others above.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ADD' post='803018' date='Feb 27 2009, 11:11 AM
+1

I like the auto Lock feature, but there is no auto unlock feature to my knowledge.

Be careful of the double pull method. Although the door handles on the e60 are much better quality than my e39, I had one of the handles break off in my hand from the double pull deal in the e39.

I've just gotten into the habit of when I stop, I push the stop button, push the key to disengage, and push the door unlock button on the dash. It only took a week to get into the habit.
+2 I try to do that too ... so my non-BMW saavy passengers don't give me that look!

Quick Reply: Automatic Door Lock