E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Autobox on 525d

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 04:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Hi all,

I recently drove a loaner 525i whilst my car was at a dealer for 2 days. The car and my 525d are almost identical specs (save for mine being a touring, and about 6 months between them) but i found that the auto gearbox was a LOT smoother than mine auto box is...(both 6 speed)

Generally when driving normally i find that you can feel my diesel car thump into gear whereas the petrol one almost glides. I also found that the petrol crawls forward (or backwards) when you take your foot off the break with more power then my diesel does - i often have to give a little throttle for mine to play making slow movement difficult. Again the petrol one was easier.

Is this right or do i have a faulty autobox?

Love the car otherwise and would not have thought anything of it except i have now compared it to another car. Could it just be the extra low down torque in the diesel engine makes the gearbox work differently?
Old 09-19-2006, 04:43 AM
Members

Ask your dealer to check the software coding is correct and if there are any software updates which will effect the gear change. When I first took delivery of my 530dA it had a rough change from 2nd into 1st, this was a recognised fault and BMW AG released a software update which sorted the problem. I am aware that some of the numerous software updates have cahnged the gear change characteristics on some models.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: -Current- 535d Sport LCI Bi-Xenon Adaptive Lights, S.A.T, Professional SatNav, Logic7, Elec Memory seats, iPod interface, 19" Alloys WITHOUT RUNFLATS! CIC and Combox Retrofit, White Angel Eyes, Speed in Centre console. -Previous- Mini Cooper S 525d Tourer Auto

Cheers speuk, i am taking the car back in soon as a boot strut had split so i will ask then.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:35 AM
Senior Members

Oooh, i just been upgraded from a 'Junior Member' to a full 'Member'!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:46 AM
Members

My Ride: e39 525i Touring, will order e61 as soon as I can decide on engine and options...

Hi,
I drove a 523i Auto before buying my car and the petrol is smoother. I think it is a combination of (lack of) engine vibration and the linear torque curve in the petrol engine that gives the overall feeling of turbine-like power and seamless shifts.

I noticed today, when we had heavy rain, that my car felt very smooth, just like a petrol...probably because noise and vibrations were drowned out by the rain. Strange but true!

Probably nothing to worry about.

/M

Originally Posted by Darron.Lowe' post='336107' date='Sep 19 2006, 02:34 PM
Hi all,

I recently drove a loaner 525i whilst my car was at a dealer for 2 days. The car and my 525d are almost identical specs (save for mine being a touring, and about 6 months between them) but i found that the auto gearbox was a LOT smoother than mine auto box is...(both 6 speed)

Generally when driving normally i find that you can feel my diesel car thump into gear whereas the petrol one almost glides. I also found that the petrol crawls forward (or backwards) when you take your foot off the break with more power then my diesel does - i often have to give a little throttle for mine to play making slow movement difficult. Again the petrol one was easier.

Is this right or do i have a faulty autobox?

Love the car otherwise and would not have thought anything of it except i have now compared it to another car. Could it just be the extra low down torque in the diesel engine makes the gearbox work differently?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i have to say that if you have a 04 car and no software updates,,,then you have a bit of different feel, much more rough ride....the new software really changes gear reactions....

ps...if the 525 was a 06 MY with the new 218hp engine, i think that has also a bit of a revised gearbox...i drove one and the engine and gear combination work really well..
its much smoother than the older gearbox the engine also is differnet in sound, feel, revs, speed....quite a big difference with new cars...
Old 09-19-2006, 02:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by tegel' post='336250' date='Sep 19 2006, 06:46 PM
Hi,
I drove a 523i Auto before buying my car and the petrol is smoother. I think it is a combination of (lack of) engine vibration and the linear torque curve in the petrol engine that gives the overall feeling of turbine-like power and seamless shifts.

I noticed today, when we had heavy rain, that my car felt very smooth, just like a petrol...probably because noise and vibrations were drowned out by the rain. Strange but true!

Probably nothing to worry about.

/M
I also think 6 cylinders instead of 4 may be partly to blame (or bless)... But there's no denying that petrol engines are generally smoother than diesels.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='336354' date='Sep 19 2006, 10:16 PM
i have to say that if you have a 04 car and no software updates,,,then you have a bit of different feel, much more rough ride....the new software really changes gear reactions....

ps...if the 525 was a 06 MY with the new 218hp engine, i think that has also a bit of a revised gearbox...i drove one and the engine and gear combination work really well..
its much smoother than the older gearbox the engine also is differnet in sound, feel, revs, speed....quite a big difference with new cars...

Not sure what engine it was but i thought that my 2.5d seemed more powerfull except when i really pushed the engine - typical of petrol vs diesel and their power bands.

It is probably the combination of the engine and gearbox which aren't as suited as the 525i's one...

Did notice it again today though and wonder if the turbo lag is getting in the way too? Is it bad on the 2.5d as i've only driven it as an auto?