E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Autobahnd "Not-So-Clear Bra"

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by jet190rs' post='284485' date='May 18 2006, 10:57 PM
That sucks. I'd never use the dealer, or whoever they outsource it to, for clear bra. Better to find an installer who specializes in it. A local high end detailer/auto cosmetics shop would be better, or go to the 3M website and search for a 3M trained installer.

This is kind of silly. I do agree that it's better to go directly to the source, but the dealer -is- giving it to an installer who is specializing in it and likely licensed by 3M. More importantly, the place the dealer chooses has likely installed it many times on the car you just purchased. Of course there might be exceptions, dealers who just haven't made an effort to find a good sub, but I'd imagine most have picked the best available locally.

Half of the places I called said things like, "we've done one or two 5 series" as opposed to "we've done tons" which was the answer I got when I called the place I used. They explained in great detail the coverage, and the process - what differentiated their kits, etc... I called pretty much ever installer in the area, and each claimed to do BMWs from dealers. Most were full of it.

The place I used not only does the clear bras for the two nearest BMW dealers, they also do all of the cars for Ferrari/Lambo/Maserati of Washington, DC. They had a few in the shop when I took my car in. The work was really top notch.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Been replaced once already. They don't want to do it again.
I know it's not the installer, but the product.

I guess when I get my M5 (or M6) I'll have to choose a dealer that will back the $500 product that they endorsed.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='289541' date='May 30 2006, 12:21 AM
Been replaced once already. They don't want to do it again.
I know it's not the installer, but the producet.

I guess when I get my M5 (or M6) I'll have to choose a dealer that will back the $500 product that they endorsed.

I think that as good as the films have become, there's always a chance that it could yellow peel or crack. It's likely 3M, mine is from the same company and it is 3M. As far as standing behind it, you should know that Autobahnd has a lifetime warranty against cracking, peeling, and yellowing. That's actually more than pretty much any other installer - the rest only guarantee it for 5 years, which is the length of time 3M warranties against the aformentioned "defects". You should have a warranty certificate, and a sticker inside the frame that you can see when the driver door is open. If the installer won't honor this, then I'd say to write your state attorney general. That will yield the fastest remediation.

You got off light... Mine was $900, and that's -after- I talked them down $100. Everything costs more where I live though....
Old 05-29-2006, 08:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nickolas_g' post='284490' date='May 18 2006, 11:12 PM
I was at the dealer that sold my my Boxster and saw the same 'up-sell'. I laughed at him and asked him if this was the new "cheezy bra" of the day. He said it really works. I was not sure of that.

I believe that cars are for driving and will take a few licks over time. Door dings, chips from stones, etc. My own Boxster was victim of a half hearted attempt at being keyed.

Bottom line. If BMW thought is was worth it they would include it as an option.

That is my two cents.

BMW has it as an option. Check the accessories catalog. Most buyers don't opt for the BMW OEM because the dealers can't/don't/won't install it, and I don't think the coverage is very good.

Also, most dealers aren't smart enough to upsell this.

As to whether or not it's snake oil, the film was developed for military use - to coat the rotors on helicopters that would see desert duty. The sand was just eating them up. It's -super- effective real world military technology.

This nut fired a pellet at a treated mirror - it was traveling at 279.62 MPH. The film deformed, but the surface was completely unscathed. I've read that most of the impacts you'd encounter driving around will cause no deformation of the film, and certainly no damage to the paint underneath. Coating the lights is huge, since cracking the housing will mean a huge bill to replace it.

Look here:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/12...r_Bra_3M.shtml
Old 05-31-2006, 08:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='289552' date='May 30 2006, 12:45 AM
BMW has it as an option. Check the accessories catalog. Most buyers don't opt for the BMW OEM because the dealers can't/don't/won't install it, and I don't think the coverage is very good.
Also, most dealers aren't smart enough to upsell this.
As to whether or not it's snake oil, the film was developed for military use - to coat the rotors on helicopters that would see desert duty. The sand was just eating them up. It's -super- effective real world military technology.
This nut fired a pellet at a treated mirror - it was traveling at 279.62 MPH. The film deformed, but the surface was completely unscathed. I've read that most of the impacts you'd encounter driving around will cause no deformation of the film, and certainly no damage to the paint underneath. Coating the lights is huge, since cracking the housing will mean a huge bill to replace it.
Look here:

http://www.automotivearticles.com/12...r_Bra_3M.shtml
On my first one (note, they replaced it about a year ago - because it YELLOWED!) I actually had something (I'm assuming a rock) actually penetrate the plastic and actually chipped the paint. Do a search. There are pics of it in a previous post. I can just imagine what kind of damage there would have been if the film wasn't there. But the YELLOWING of the **Autobahnd Product** Sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown: