E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Window Roll Down with Remote, but not roll back up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2006 530xi with Comfort Access. If I push and hold the unlock button, the windows and the sunroof open. If I then push and hold the lock button, nothing happens with the window/sunroof. If I push and hold the lock button again, nothing happens. Holding my finger on the lock in the door handle will close the windows and sunroof.

My Progman was updated last July (in case that makes any difference) to whatever was current at the time.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='723100' date='Nov 17 2008, 07:56 AM
I have a 2006 530xi with Comfort Access. If I push and hold the unlock button, the windows and the sunroof open. If I then push and hold the lock button, nothing happens with the window/sunroof. If I push and hold the lock button again, nothing happens. Holding my finger on the lock in the door handle will close the windows and sunroof.

My Progman was updated last July (in case that makes any difference) to whatever was current at the time.
Yep, that's still the standard.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

What is the liability issue with the auto closing thing.. the windows have anti-trap sensors... although I havn't dared test them yet Also you have it on the comfort access option to a degree.

It just seems strange to have a straight forward usefull feature like this one, not universally available for everyone by using the remote...
Old 11-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by littlemouse' post='723145' date='Nov 17 2008, 09:53 AM
What is the liability issue with the auto closing thing.. the windows have anti-trap sensors... although I havn't dared test them yet Also you have it on the comfort access option to a degree.

It just seems strange to have a straight forward usefull feature like this one, not universally available for everyone by using the remote...
If you get a chance, get something solid (not your arm) and do an anti-trap test. I'm sure that the test will work fine if you simply use the window switch's "one-touch up" method but I'm not so sure it'll work with the "all up" method from the key fob...

(I'm actually serious -- if you get a chance, please do this test.)
Old 11-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Week 17 Build, 2008 E60 535d M Sport - Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Automatic gearbox, Steering Wheel Heating, M Double Spoke 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Auto-Dim+Exterior Mirror, Comfort seats, Front Seat Heating, Aluminium Pentan interior trim,DAB Tuner, TV Function, BMW Individual Audio System 825W !!

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='723157' date='Nov 17 2008, 03:13 PM
If you get a chance, get something solid (not your arm) and do an anti-trap test. I'm sure that the test will work fine if you simply use the window switch's "one-touch up" method but I'm not so sure it'll work with the "all up" method from the key fob...

(I'm actually serious -- if you get a chance, please do this test.)

Okay Rudy... The car will be back in about half an hour ( Wife picking kids up from school) I'll try it then, both ways...
Old 11-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Right I completed the test..(Probably not scientific) using a slightly under ripe banana.

Using the auto close switch from inside the car with the engine running, the window hit the banana, and then retracted about 2 inches, and then stopped. The window left a very slight mark on the banana, which would possibly inflict a slight bruise on a childs arm, but nothing more.

Then I wound the window back down, switched off the engine, took the keys out of the ignition, and closed the door. I then pressed the lock button and held it down, after approx 2 seconds the window started to shut. It hit the banana, and retracted in exactly the same way as closing the window from inside the car. It left a mark identical to that of the previous method.

So in conclusion.... Clever safe BMW

From that I can see no reason why you guys in the US should not be able to have this feature, as far as safety reasons go. Please send all your comments regarding this to BMW NA
Old 11-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks -- now try it with the sunroof! Maybe that's the reason why we're too stupid to get that feature?

(By the way, since you selected a banana as your test "arm", make sure to keep it out of the tailpipe...
)
Old 11-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

nice choice of substitutes Lee.. liking the banana idea...lol clever my friend..lol..
Old 11-17-2008, 09:52 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='723439' date='Nov 17 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks -- now try it with the sunroof! Maybe that's the reason why we're too stupid to get that feature?
I'd love to, but unfortunatly I havn't got a sunroof... Don't get too much sun over here

You need someone else to chime in and be a test subject with a banana for this one..

Mel. I was going to use a bit of wood, but had a panic when Rudy said the anti trap thing wouldn't work... wanted something that would squish rather than burn the motor out... Must admit I was surprised at how sensitive the window sensor was...

Auto Window Roll Down with Remote, but not roll back up?-22.jpg
Old 11-17-2008, 10:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i sport 6spd Sapphire Black/Tan

Remember those days when we used to roll down and up the windows by hand. Technology these days.

Quick Reply: Auto Window Roll Down with Remote, but not roll back up?