E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto turn off headlights after locked

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

hey guys, just one quick question, is there a way that you can actually leave the headlights on day or night doesnt matter, then lock the doors and those headlights would turn off after a few seconds. Cause i used to have the TL, when i press lock, the headlights are automatically off within seconds. Is it possible ? thanks and happy holidays and merry Christmas.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 AM
Members

only way i know is to turn off your car then pull the highbeam on
Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Not an available feature, as far as I can tell. You can turn off the car and then turn on your high beam. The high beam will stay on for a period of time (user programmable), and then turn off.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:57 AM
Senior Members

ohh cool, thanks, so the highbeam would turn on again if i press unlock ?
Old 12-23-2009, 05:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn' post='1078806' date='Dec 23 2009, 07:57 AM
No. The headlights aren't tied to the lock/unlock circuit like the you're used to on the TL. If you want to have the lights stay on while you walk away from the car, you need to turn the car off then pull the turn signal stalk as if you want to "flash to pass". This will turn the headlights on for a set amount of time (configured in iDrive).
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn' post='1078806' date='Dec 23 2009, 07:57 AM
No, this is not possible, but I would think it would be a nice user-programmable feature, if only BMW engineers would listen to their customers.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1078839' date='Dec 23 2009, 09:42 AM
No, this is not possible, but I would think it would be a nice user-programmable feature, if only BMW engineers would listen to their customers.

ok well im sorry to go a lil off topic but, if you leave your lights on when you turn off your engine and get out of the car, the main xenon HID goes off but the daytime rings stay on. Now do they eventually shut off by themselves or they stay on? never tried it because i dont want to drain battery lol
Old 12-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1078867' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:48 AM
ok well im sorry to go a lil off topic but, if you leave your lights on when you turn off your engine and get out of the car, the main xenon HID goes off but the daytime rings stay on. Now do they eventually shut off by themselves or they stay on? never tried it because i dont want to drain battery lol
No, our cars have a feature that allow us to "turn on" the lights for a short amount of time (time in seconds, selectable from the iDrive) for just enough time to walk from your car (parked in a presumably dark driveway) to your door. The lights will shut off and your battery won't drain. I set mine to stay on for 40 seconds. This feature is activated by shutting off your engine (and lights) and then flicking your high-beam stalk. You then get out of the car, lock your door and walk to your house door with the illumination provided by your car. After 40 seconds, the lights will shut off and your battery is not drained. Try this while observing the function. If it works as advertised, it is a nice feature to have when you are parked in a dark driveway or alley.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:52 AM
Senior Members

Yeah its a nice feature, but wouldnt be more nicer if they bypass the system and make them turn on when we press unlock like those japanese cars. I mean what if your accidentally leave the lights( angel eyes) on, rush in somewhere and forget about it, now thats could Fup your battery quick lol. But cool, thanks for the responses, Merry Christmas and Happy new year guys
Old 12-24-2009, 04:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

Originally Posted by 2exclusive' post='1078867' date='Dec 23 2009, 10:48 AM

No I know what your talking about. They will stay on for a while at least. I turned my lights on because in pa you have to have the headlights on while it is raining and it was not dark enough for the sensor to turn them on itself. when I came out of the mall after being in there for about 9 hours they were still on! OOPS! LOL It did not do anything to the battery because like you said your regular lights turn off but the parking lights stay on. Even my old 3 series did the same thing and I left them on for hours at a time by accident of corse! Hope this helps

Quick Reply: Auto turn off headlights after locked