E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto trans shift concern

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During a scheduled service stop for brake flush, micro-filter replacement, etc (38K miles - /07 530xi) I told my SA that I had seen small oily drops in my driveway where I usually park my car. So, they investigated and found a leak in the "mechantronics sleeve". They installed a sleeve seal. It involved dropping the auto trans pan etc. The transmission oil level was corrected and replenished (according to the work order) with an additional liter of oil.

This week I had a business trip to upstate NY (800 mi r/t) and noticed something that felt like a jerkiness at about 60-65mph on slight grades. That was accompanied by a small shift in rpms. I'll be honest, I haven't driven in hilly terrain in quite some time so I'm not sure it wasn't "normal operation" and the trans making some adjustment for load. But that said, it felt "odd" and something I've not noticed before.

When it first occurred I tried a couple of things ... like a moderate acceleration and forced kick down ... nothing seemed unusual ... no noises, no jerky shifting. But even under normal starts the transmission shifting just doesn't seem as smooth as it used to. I do not was to disguise any trans problems by doing the 25 second reset - at least not until my dealer can investigate and document proper transmission function or problem. Escepcially since my 4 year 50K mile warranty expires at the end of June. So I want any problem on the record! I've had major transmission problems on both my e32 and e38 - AND despite other great engineering work, the automatic transmissions BMW sources are MAJOR problem areas!

I'm hoping it is a simple s/w fix and not the start of something that would potentially be a drivetrain failure.

Has anyone else noted the tendency for BMW automatics (esp xi models) to "hunt" at 60-70 mph on slight grades and if so, is that hunting smooth or jerky?
Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 VW Passat Wagon 2.0l Tsi Grey/Grey Budapest 18" Lost to HPFP issues: 08 535i sport pkg Lost to Dreaded E61 Sun roof leaks: 07 E61 530Xi

Originally Posted by luigi524td
During a scheduled service stop for brake flush, micro-filter replacement, etc (38K miles - /07 530xi) I told my SA that I had seen small oily drops in my driveway where I usually park my car. So, they investigated and found a leak in the "mechantronics sleeve". They installed a sleeve seal. It involved dropping the auto trans pan etc. The transmission oil level was corrected and replenished (according to the work order) with an additional liter of oil.

This week I had a business trip to upstate NY (800 mi r/t) and noticed something that felt like a jerkiness at about 60-65mph on slight grades. That was accompanied by a small shift in rpms. I'll be honest, I haven't driven in hilly terrain in quite some time so I'm not sure it wasn't "normal operation" and the trans making some adjustment for load. But that said, it felt "odd" and something I've not noticed before.

When it first occurred I tried a couple of things ... like a moderate acceleration and forced kick down ... nothing seemed unusual ... no noises, no jerky shifting. But even under normal starts the transmission shifting just doesn't seem as smooth as it used to. I do not was to disguise any trans problems by doing the 25 second reset - at least not until my dealer can investigate and document proper transmission function or problem. Escepcially since my 4 year 50K mile warranty expires at the end of June. So I want any problem on the record! I've had major transmission problems on both my e32 and e38 - AND despite other great engineering work, the automatic transmissions BMW sources are MAJOR problem areas!

I'm hoping it is a simple s/w fix and not the start of something that would potentially be a drivetrain failure.

Has anyone else noted the tendency for BMW automatics (esp xi models) to "hunt" at 60-70 mph on slight grades and if so, is that hunting smooth or jerky?
I have the same very jerky down shifts on uphill and down hill grades, and some times from a dead stop. The cleared out the Trans adaption and it seem to get worse. I'm in the same boat with my warranty as it comes up in July ( though I do have the CPO which "should" cover the drive line for another 2 years. I'm fairly concerned about it, and It is going in for a break fluid flush in the next few weeks so I will get them to look at it more.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Lou, I would still reset the transmission, as if there IS an issue with the transmission, it will STILL be apparent after the reset. Also if there is NOT a transmission problem, you might just drive away with your car performing the way you expect it to and not have to worry about a trip to the dealer at all! Those are my 2 cents, spend them as you see fit!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

I've noticed also that on any sort of hill or grade, the transmission in these cars is erratic and harsh. My buddy's 550i experiencing the same thing.

I would say this is probably normal operation for the transmission on hills. I haven't noticed anything like this unless it was a hill of some sort.

My solution: I always drive in manual and this problem doesn't happen in manual
Old 04-29-2010, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Lou, I would still reset the transmission, as if there IS an issue with the transmission, it will STILL be apparent after the reset. Also if there is NOT a transmission problem, you might just drive away with your car performing the way you expect it to and not have to worry about a trip to the dealer at all! Those are my 2 cents, spend them as you see fit!
Thanks for your advice - I still want to have my dealer document the issue in event I have to have it handled post-warranty.

BTW, 2 cents ... you raised your prices too ??
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Thanks for your advice - I still want to have my dealer document the issue in event I have to have it handled post-warranty.

BTW, 2 cents ... you raised your prices too ??
The way the economy is these days, I had to pad my rates!! Besides, it's worth every penny!