E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

auto tranny differences between 07 and 08

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am considering replacing my SLK350 with either a 08 535 or CPO 07 550 and I have always driven manual tranny. I decided that if I were to get the 5 series, I would try the auto tranny but a short test drive is not likely to give me the full picture on the good and bad of the auto tranny. One of the things (among others) that could affect my decision between the 07 and 08 is the auto tranny differences.

So I have a couple of questions.
2007 550:
Does the auto tranny blip the throttle when it downshifts?
How is the manual mode in the 07 550 (i.e. does it holds gear if you it the rev limiter? Does it downshift for you even in manual mode?)
Can you downshift multiple gears at a time when in manual mode? If yes, how fast is it?
How would you rate the tranny in general?

2008 535:
Is the steptronic in the 08 the same as in 07? If not, what are the differences?
I read that there is a new sport auto tranny. What are the differences between the regular auto and sport tranny?
How would you rate the tranny in general?

Thx,

Yves
Old 08-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

I have the 06 550 with the steptronic which I believe is the same as the 07. Let me try to answer those questions for you...

Yes the throttle blips on downshifts. It is unbelievably smooth.

The manual mode WILL upshift automatically while in manual mode if you hit the rev limiter. It is idiot proof and does not go into fuel cut off. It does not downshift automatically so you may end up lugging the engine if you forget to downshift when slowing down.

You may downshift several gears at one time but remember that the shifter is sequential so you have to click thru each gear. It shifts very fast - as fast as you can operate the gear selector.

This is the smoothest auto tranny I have ever driven. It has learning logic and memorizes your driving style. You may go full automatic for comfort, shiftless sport auto for crisper shifts, or clutchless manual where you select gears. This was my perfect compromise for daily traffic commuting and back road fun. The only negative I can cite is that when you get aggressive with shifting and throttle, your gas milage plunges. Normally I get around 20 mpg in combined driving. My milage will drop 20-30% with spirited driving. The good news is that you have the capability to drive for fun or more milage depending on your mood. I highly recommend the 550 with steptronic.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't have any vast experience with the automatic transmissions on pre-LCI cars (just a few loaner cars from the dealer) but I do have experience with the new sport automatic (SAT) on my 2008 car.

This transmission, as far as automatics go, is simply amazing! After reading your post, is sounds like the SAT is the perfect fit for what you're looking for. Someone else will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe the older steptronics blipped the throttle on downshifts. The new SAT clearly does (although sometimes not as well as the SMG did.)

If you can, you really ought to test drive both old and new and see for yourself. Hopefully, between that and some additional replies from other members here, I think you'll make a good decision.

Good luck!
Old 08-12-2007, 12:06 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

here's some reviews by member pennetta on the 535:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42392&hl=
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42602&hl=
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=42776&hl=

btw, welcome and enjoy the forums.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The is no comparison between the pre-LCI automatic tranny and LCI "sport auto transmission", SAT. The SAT is superb in comparison with quick shifts and wonderful coordination with the throttle and steering. And the paddle shifters. This tranny has gotten rave reviews here. I put over 500 miles on my 550 Sport with the SAT in Germany a week ago. It was so much fun to drive through the twisties in the German Alps. It is much improved over the pre-LCI automatic tranny in my 04 545. It is a great piece of engineering and exceptionally fun to drive. I highly recommend the SAT and the sport package for the 5 er which creates a car with wonderful, very sporty driving dynamics. This combination will be great with the 535 which is a very torquey engine. That combination is a great value for the sports minded driver. Please read the the above posts and take a test drive for yourself.

Yves please list your location. It helps us help you and makes the board more interesting.