E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The Auto Rear Sunshade Dilema . . .

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 07:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Interesting to see this thread, because I do not like driving behind cars with them in, because it means I cannot see as much of the road ahead compared to a car without blinds (or tinits). That's why I always try and get passed a car with blinds / tints ASAP.

So chances are others do not take it personally when you put your rear blind up, it just means they can't see as clearly!? If you put "f*** off" on there, well then it probably would be a case of the other drivers taking it personally

Anyway, good to hear you're all enjoying your rear blinds and I just thought I'd share the "other driver's" view!

cheers
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345085' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:44 AM
Interesting to see this thread, because I do not like driving behind cars with them in, because it means I cannot see as much of the road ahead compared to a car without blinds (or tinits). That's why I always try and get passed a car with blinds / tints ASAP.

So chances are others do not take it personally when you put your rear blind up, it just means they can't see as clearly!? If you put "f*** off" on there, well then it probably would be a case of the other drivers taking it personally

Anyway, good to hear you're all enjoying your rear blinds and I just thought I'd share the "other driver's" view!

cheers
If you're looking through the car ahead of you -- you're following too closely!

(I'm guilty of the same thing though so don't take it personally! )
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345085' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:44 PM
Interesting to see this thread, because I do not like driving behind cars with them in, because it means I cannot see as much of the road ahead compared to a car without blinds (or tinits).
Have you thought about people who commute in SUV? Just as annoying.

The only time I use that shade is when I park, or the sun is shinning into the cabin with rear passenger so I don't need to crank up my A/C.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009 550i sports, Nav, logic Best E60 yet 2004 545i, sports pkg, logic 7 steptronic, rear shade,orient blue with beige interior, blue tooth enabled Razer Phone. 2004 X5 3.0, sports pkg, stepronic, summer pkg. imola red. 2006 Mini Cooper S, manual, sports, prem pkg, nav and kitchen sink.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345085' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:44 AM

cheers
I wouldn't buy a 550 without the optional sunshades after having them on my 545i, I live in south Florida where its sunny most everyday with temperatures range from 80 to 90 most days. When your car is parked in the sun it gets dam hot and the shades do help a little. when driving the shades also help the AC to keep the car cooler. But, I can understand how another driver might not want to drive behind me, I will not drive behind any vehical that blocks my view of the road in front. I cannot speak for Germany, but in the US we are plagued with Hummers, Pickup trucks and jurks with blacked out windows that are a pain to drive behind.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345085' date='Oct 15 2006, 11:44 PM

cheers
Do you know this is a bad thing to look at the car in front. You should alway look at lest 2 car in front.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by pinguhk' post='345251' date='Oct 16 2006, 11:04 AM
Do you know this is a bad thing to look at the car in front. You should alway look at lest 2 car in front.
Actually you shouldn't be looking through the windows of another car. You should be keeping at least two car's length from the vehicle in front.

Or follow the 3 sec rules if you really want to be safe. Why the heck are you looking through someone windows anyways?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributors

Actually, the real reason the sidea and rear shades were a must was that when I bought the car my youngest was still an infant, sitting backwards in her car seat. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to have another lick'em-and-stick-em suction cup with a "Baby on board" sunshade...bit to mention that when you accidentally rolled the rear windows down the thing would pop off! Can anyone relate?
Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='345085' date='Oct 15 2006, 10:44 AM

cheers
You know, I didn't realize that the shades had similar effects as a big SUV in front would have the same effect of limiting other drivers' sight. I put my shades down to see better out the rear because I always paranoid about someone following me home. In any case, I think the rear shades has much more use than just for "shades."
Old 10-15-2006, 07:57 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Blackonblackonblack' post='345259' date='Oct 15 2006, 08:45 PM
Actually, the real reason the sidea and rear shades were a must was that when I bought the car my youngest was still an infant, sitting backwards in her car seat. I ABSOLUTELY REFUSED to have another lick'em-and-stick-em suction cup with a "Baby on board" sunshade...bit to mention that when you accidentally rolled the rear windows down the thing would pop off! Can anyone relate?
Had our kids before they came out with those "Baby on Board" or Winnie the Pooh static cling shades. We just rolled up the window with the baby blanket in place.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

For those of you who replied about the shades being as bad as SUVs (or People Carriers etc), an E60 with blinds or tints is no-where near as bad because you can still see round the car relatively easily.

The blinds/tints view only really becomes a bit of an issue in heavy traffic when everyone is relatively (or very!) closely grouped and you cannot drift into another lane to get a clearer view around the car(s) infront. When this starts to happen I tend to drive in the "slow lane" with the trucks because they tend to drive more consistently and not accelerate & brake hard, and you do not have someone jump into your "braking distance" if you decide to leave a bigger gap between the car in front and you.

The worst blind I have every seen on a car, was on a Mercedes Benz C-Class. The driver activated the blind and it slowly raised up to reveal two words you really do not want to see when driving... POLICE STOP - I'm just glad it wasn't directed at me, even though I did have to double check!

Cheers

Quick Reply: The Auto Rear Sunshade Dilema . . .