E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Leveling Xenons

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Mr5
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an urgent request.
My auto leveling headlights don't level (go up and down when you start the car or on hills).
The motor tries to go up and down when I first start the car, but it just buzzes and stops.
Thus, I had to manually adjust the headlights to point higher because they were stuck too low.

I told the dealer this and he's playing the "we can't replicate the problem" card for such an obvious thing.
He said the tech ran it through a simulator and compared it to another 5 series and it's fine.
I went and checked and the headlights still don't move up and down when you start the car, they only move left and right.

My request:
Can someone please post a video of their E60 with auto leveling headlights when you first start the car and the headlights
move left and right AND UP AND DOWN?

Thank you in advance.

I need to go pick up the car tomorrow morning at 8am so if you can get the video by tonight, it would be much appreciated so i can email my SA.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

I just went into my garage and started my car and here's what I found:

-when starting 'cold' they moved down, then up
-when pulling out the key and then reinserting, the y moved side to side
-when exiting the car then entering and restarting, down then up

Hope this helps.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr5
Members

Originally Posted by PlanB
I just went into my garage and started my car and here's what I found:

-when starting 'cold' they moved down, then up
-when pulling out the key and then reinserting, the y moved side to side
-when exiting the car then entering and restarting, down then up

Hope this helps.

Yup that's exactly what mine USED to do.
Now they don't anymore and the dealer is telling me it's "normal" and they never did that.

That's why I was asking if someone could get that on video so I can show it to them.

Would you mind taking a quick video of that and sending it to me?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

your dealer is f*cked if they are trying to tell you that it never went up and down when you start your car. Sorry to hear about your crappy dealer hopefully you get this figured out.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Members

Only sometimes my adaptive xenons do this. I think it has to do if the car is level or not because I really notice it at my parent house as their driveway is on a slope. Most other times it doesn't show.

Wouldn't make a big deal about it. You have an E60 with no problems - enjoy it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04' 545i, Sport Package, Black, Active Xenon, ARS, Aux Input '10 Tahoe, Black on Black, leather, Nav/XM, 20" tires, full body kit, power 2nd row, loaded '93 Jeep Wrangler, lifted 4.5", 33" meats, Rampage Recovery Bumper w/Tire Swing, etc 25' Aquasport Osprey, Center Console,2012 200 HO Etec

If your green LED next to the switch isnt blinking and you have no error messages I wouldnt worry about it.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Mr5
Members

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
Only sometimes my adaptive xenons do this. I think it has to do if the car is level or not because I really notice it at my parent house as their driveway is on a slope. Most other times it doesn't show.

Wouldn't make a big deal about it. You have an E60 with no problems - enjoy it.
It's not a big problem, but it is a problem.
It annoys me to see it there every morning when I start the car and hear the headlights buzz because
they can't go up and down, and watch them shiver when trying to auto-level.

What further annoys me is the way my dealer is handling it; they first told me that no problem was found (twice they used this excuse), then they told me that they can see that they don't go up and down, but this is normal and all 5 series do this, including not auto-leveling when going up and down a slope. Finally, they replaced both headlights and told me that they did "a software update on the car and that because of this software update, the headlights no longer move when you start the car".
So I went to pick up the car for the 4th time and saw absolutely no change to the problem I was reporting. The headlights still moved left and right (even though they claimed that with the new update, the headlights wouldn't move), but shivered when trying to move up and down as well as giving off a buzzing noise as if they tried to go up and down but were somehow stuck.
I took the car on a hill, tried putting load in the trunk or towards the front of the car (enough to make a big difference in the balance of the car) and the headlights still did not auto level no matter what.

They finally told me that they were going to call an engineer to verify if the headlights "with the new updated software" moved up and down.

I think I'm more pissed that they are just trying to push the issue under a rug and bullshit me than about the headlights themselves.

Originally Posted by jaycal3
If your green LED next to the switch isnt blinking and you have no error messages I wouldnt worry about it.
The green LED is not flashing and there are no error codes being thrown.