E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto Headlights / New Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Premium Space Grey

I just had my windshield replaced, and now my auto headlights stay on all the time. A well respected local glass shop did the work, due to an arrangement with my insurance company.
It's an after market windshield, and my suspicion is that the little hole in the windshield is misaligned with the sensor in the front of the rear view mirror assembly.
See photo, which was taken looking directly at the sensor, at the same level. (I hope I'm being clear here!)

Anybody else had this problem? Any suggestions? Is it simply a case of remounting the mirror assembly to the inside of the windshield? Or is the windshield itself the problem?
Attached Thumbnails Auto Headlights / New Windshield-dsc02645.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Not sure it's an alignment issue between any holes...

I'm thinking the installers did something to the light sensor when they replaced the glass. I think the different "holes" you see are different sensors. One sensor is for the lights and one is for the rain sensing wipers...
Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the light sensor was on the dash near the speaker grate. Is it possible they are just in the "on" postion instead of "auto"?
Old 06-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='911716' date='Jun 14 2009, 11:42 PM

I'm thinking the installers did something to the light sensor when they replaced the glass. I think the different "holes" you see are different sensors. One sensor is for the lights and one is for the rain sensing wipers...

+1
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 525D M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather

Alternatively, some new screens have a reflective coating for IR or UV reduction or some such. I'd expect this to need a section with no coating for the sensors to read correctly. Anyhoo, get em back to fix the problem. Or go to BMW dealer for dag and then get them back!

Good luck, hope it gets sorted for you
Old 06-15-2009, 09:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

It seems like your sensor I'd placed too low. Like it only allows 2/3rds of light in. Maybe a direct pic of the sensor.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Members

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='912076' date='Jun 15 2009, 09:38 AM
I thought the light sensor was on the dash near the speaker grate. Is it possible they are just in the "on" postion instead of "auto"?
The "On" position is the first thing I checked.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='911716' date='Jun 14 2009, 09:42 PM

If you look closely at the larger of the two "holes", you can see the reflector filling the bottom half of the hole. This is what makes me thing maybe its an alignment problem. And maybe it can be solved by re-mounting the rear view mirror assembly a quarter of an inch lower to align the sensor more directly with the hole.
(Pretty weak terminology...Gotta be a better word than "hole"!!)

Anyway, first, a trip to the dealer to get some advice, followed by a trip to the glass guys to get some satisfaction!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW e60 525IA 12/2003

Hi

First : the light/rain sensor is one sensor ( two in one ) , second : the sensor is not a part of the rearwive mirrow , it is mounted to the frontshield with 2 plastic clamps onto a part that is pre. glued on the windshield from the factory .

Do your rain sensor function work ? ( wiper function when wather sprayed on the windshield )

My gess is that the people that have changed the windshield forgot to connect the black 4 pin connector back on the sensor after they finished the windshield work , so take of the cover around the rearwive mirrow ( 2 half parts put together from each side ) and tjek out if the connector is in place , if you got Klima HIGH , there will also be a fog-sensor attacehed to the windshield , it's located underneath the rain/light sensor in the black aerea ( black 2 pin connector )
Old 06-16-2009, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by noonehome' post='912076' date='Jun 15 2009, 11:38 AM
I thought the light sensor was on the dash near the speaker grate.
That would be the solar position sensor, not the ambient light sensor...

Quick Reply: Auto Headlights / New Windshield