E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

AUTO HEADLIGHT SENSOR

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

My mid Feb built 535D is suffering from what I believe to be a software problem with the auto headlight sensor.

When starting in my garage in the dark, the headlights do not turn off in the day light for a very long time if not never.

If the car is parked in the day light or if I just turn off and on the key, evrything is working fine.

I am the only one?

Is there a solution?
Old 03-29-2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Mar 29 2005, 12:42 PM
My mid Feb built 535D is suffering from what I believe to be a software problem with the auto headlight sensor.

When starting in my garage in the dark, the headlights do not turn off in the day light for a very long time if not never.

If the car is parked in the day light or if I just turn off and on the key, evrything is working fine.

I am the only one?

Is there a solution?
[snapback]108294[/snapback]
So far I understand BMW has not solved this common problem. They had several software updates to deal with it but still from time to time the lights stay on during bright sunshine.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Members

My Ride: 530d (Jan 2005) premium pack, pro nav, steptronic

Same with me. Sometime it even turns on in daylight.
BMW told me there is nothing with the software but the auto headlight sensor (factory built) which is too sensitive. They can adjust to some extent but doesn't really fix the issue.
Old 03-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

I am having the exact same problem.

After the software update, I noticed that my light wouldn't turn on as easily as before. It only turns on when its almost dark, when 90% of people have already turned on their lights.

Opposite can be said in the morning. The light will be on when I am still inside the garage, but it will stay on no matter if its sunny or not. I tried turning the lights off and then back to auto, but it doesn't work. I had to shut off the car under sun light, and restart to make the auto light go away.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I had my headlight sensor setting adjusted, and it helped a little bit.... but still not fixed totally.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 30 2005, 01:09 AM
I had my headlight sensor setting adjusted, and it helped a little bit....? but still not fixed totally.
[snapback]108449[/snapback]
I beleive this will be an electronics related problem. The sensor might be dirty or somewhat faulty... I am not sure it's got anything to do with the software. I presume during the update of the software something went wrong, maybe voltage overload or something funny which afects the sensor. Mine works really fine.
Hey! How do you adjust the sensitivity of the light sensor? Didn't know that?
Old 03-30-2005, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Originally Posted by redhat_man' date='Mar 30 2005, 03:18 PM
[snapback]108688[/snapback]
This is something that only your dealer can do - it is a SW configuration.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by redhat_man' date='Mar 30 2005, 10:18 AM
I beleive this will be an electronics related problem. The sensor might be dirty or somewhat faulty... I am not sure it's got anything to do with the software. I presume during the update of the software something went wrong, maybe voltage overload or something funny which afects the sensor. Mine works really fine.
[snapback]108688[/snapback]
Way too many of us are having issues with the auto lights for this to be a dirty sensor. I think it's clearly a software issue (that I thought was supposed to be fixed in CIP 16.x). Since there are three settings in software to adjust the sensitivity, I imagine they'll be able to tweak things and get it right sooner or later...
Old 04-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedracerF4i' date='Mar 29 2005, 04:07 PM
I am having the exact same problem.

After the software update, I noticed that my light wouldn't turn on as easily as before. It only turns on when its almost dark, when 90% of people have already turned on their lights.

Opposite can be said in the morning.? The light will be on when I am still inside the garage, but it will stay on no matter if its sunny or not.? I tried turning the lights off and then back to auto, but it doesn't work.? I had to shut off the car under sun light, and restart to make the auto light go away.
[snapback]108350[/snapback]
I?m with BMW of North America, LLC. I?m sorry to read you are experiencing a problem with your headlights If you and your BMW center would like our assistance, please phone us at (800) 831-1117 or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com, and mention Reference #200509500434 so that we can help you more efficiently.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:21 AM
Contributors

On that note, where's BMW UK? Are they monitoring this site?

Quick Reply: AUTO HEADLIGHT SENSOR