E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Auto headlight sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 04:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Is there any way to increase the sunlight sensitivity of the automatic headlights?

Every morning I drive to work, and it is broad daylight and the headlights stay on.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:04 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Dec 6 2004, 03:39 PM
Is there any way to increase the sunlight sensitivity of the automatic headlights?
[snapback]65410[/snapback]
Yep. But the dealer has to do it for you.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Dealer has to do it? That's pretty gay.

I hate to take my car there just for that. Oh well, guess it will just have to wait until my first service.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:11 AM
Contributors

Even with setting to max..still somewhat erratic operation......if its any consolation, my wifes X3 is just as erratic....appears to be a very common fault...driving in blazing sun and the bloody lights don't turn off!

DD
Old 12-06-2004, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Dec 6 2004, 09:11 AM
Even with setting to max..still somewhat erratic operation......if its any consolation, my wifes X3 is just as erratic....appears to be a very common fault...driving in blazing sun and the bloody lights don't turn off!

DD
[snapback]65440[/snapback]

Nice feature for us in Italy: it's mandatory light on daytime for highways and extra city
Old 12-06-2004, 07:29 AM
Contributors

Mine comes one way too early, even after having the settings altered.
The one one my wife's X3 workes a lot better.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

For what it's worth, I simply don't bother with the automatic lights. I'm used to controlling them manually (and would rather) so when I want them on, I turn them on. When I do turn them on, I turn them to the automatic setting so I still get the adaptives and, in addition, if I'm stopping somewhere for a short time while dark, I don't have to do anything and they will go off and come back on when I return.

When I finally park the car for the evening, I turn them back to off (which also stops the software bug that causes the parking lights to come on when opening the trunk or passenger door if the car is sleeping with the keys in the ignition.)

It would be nice if the automatic feature worked more accurately but one other drawback to them is that I like to run just the parking lights (angels) around dusk. The automatics will never let you do that. Okay, so I'm a control freak...
Old 12-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributors

I with you Rudy! I like to contol them too
Old 12-06-2004, 12:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I have noticed the Auto lights on a few times when it was sunny - driving in the shadows seems to turn them on.

I don't know why driving with headlights on is bothersome to people - it certainly isn't to me but we were flashed all the time in France when we did a Euro Delivery several years ago. Daytime running lights are required here and I really couldn't care less whether the halogens or the Xenons are on.
Old 12-06-2004, 04:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Dec 6 2004, 09:41 AM
For what it's worth, I simply don't bother with the automatic lights.? I'm used to controlling them manually (and would rather) so when I want them on, I turn them on.? When I do turn them on, I turn them to the automatic setting so I still get the adaptives and, in addition, if I'm stopping somewhere for a short time while dark, I don't have to do anything and they will go off and come back on when I return.?

When I finally park the car for the evening, I turn them back to off (which also stops the software bug that causes the parking lights to come on when opening the trunk or passenger door if the car is sleeping with the keys in the ignition.)

It would be nice if the automatic feature worked more accurately but one other drawback to them is that I like to run just the parking lights (angels) around dusk.? The automatics will never let you do that.? Okay, so I'm a control freak...
[snapback]65479[/snapback]
But then the active headlights (turning sensitive) don't function. I really don't care if they are on during the day. I see many DRLs on the road. Its only safer.

Quick Reply: Auto headlight sensitivity