E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Audio system upgrade in 05 545i w/ HiFi Audio

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013 | 08:30 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2003 540iA M Sport
Default Audio system upgrade in 05 545i w/ HiFi Audio

I'm in the process of upgrading the Hi-Fi audio system in my 05 545i and I'm looking for some help as I sort this stuff out. My goals are to have a system that outperforms the L7 Audio systems and is plug n play and stealth as possible. Here is my current equipment list and plan.

Amp: Alpine MRX-V60 5 ch amp. 4x50w + 1x200w
Front mids / tweeters: Upgrade mids & tweeters w/ L7 Audio components.
Mid bass/subs: Earthquake SWS-8xi (2 ohm)
Rear shelf speakers: leave as-is
LOC: AudioControl LC6i
Wiring:
Technic full harness for E60 HiFi systems with OEM pigtail adapters for SWS-8 subs
4g Power & Ground wire (Monster) with 80 amp fuse / holder
12g speaker wire for subs and 16g speaker wire for fronts & rears only to connect to and from the Technic harness, the amp and LOC. I'll be utilizing the stock BMW wiring.
KnuKonceptz Karma RCA cables
Sub spacers: JTSherri

I plan on powering the front and rear speakers with the 4 channels on the MRX-V60 and the (2) SWS-8xi subs with the rear channel. I have the 2 ohm version of the SWS-8 subs so I will wire the subs in series for a 4 ohm load on the amp which puts out 200w @ 4ohm.

Here's where I need some help and advice:

1. Where can I mount the amp? I've seen some people have mounted them behind the left rear trunk liner but those people had the raised trunk liner for the DVD player. Mine doesn't and there's no room behind the liner. Can I mount it upside down underneath the rear deck? Where else? My car has split folding rear seats with ski pass so that is a no go.

2. For the fronts, do I stay with the current plan and upgrade the HiFi mids & tweeters with L7 audio components or do I get new 4" components?

I'm kind of at my max budget on this project at the moment but I don't mind spending a bit more if I need to. Any advice or guidance from those who've gone down this road already is appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

JP
Old 06-24-2013 | 10:43 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by jeremyp
I'm in the process of upgrading the Hi-Fi audio system in my 05 545i and I'm looking for some help as I sort this stuff out. My goals are to have a system that outperforms the L7 Audio systems and is plug n play and stealth as possible. Here is my current equipment list and plan.

Amp: Alpine MRX-V60 5 ch amp. 4x50w + 1x200w
Front mids / tweeters: Upgrade mids & tweeters w/ L7 Audio components.
Mid bass/subs: Earthquake SWS-8xi (2 ohm)
Rear shelf speakers: leave as-is
LOC: AudioControl LC6i
Wiring:
Technic full harness for E60 HiFi systems with OEM pigtail adapters for SWS-8 subs
4g Power & Ground wire (Monster) with 80 amp fuse / holder
12g speaker wire for subs and 16g speaker wire for fronts & rears only to connect to and from the Technic harness, the amp and LOC. I'll be utilizing the stock BMW wiring.
KnuKonceptz Karma RCA cables
Sub spacers: JTSherri

I plan on powering the front and rear speakers with the 4 channels on the MRX-V60 and the (2) SWS-8xi subs with the rear channel. I have the 2 ohm version of the SWS-8 subs so I will wire the subs in series for a 4 ohm load on the amp which puts out 200w @ 4ohm.

Here's where I need some help and advice:

1. Where can I mount the amp? I've seen some people have mounted them behind the left rear trunk liner but those people had the raised trunk liner for the DVD player. Mine doesn't and there's no room behind the liner. Can I mount it upside down underneath the rear deck? Where else? My car has split folding rear seats with ski pass so that is a no go.

2. For the fronts, do I stay with the current plan and upgrade the HiFi mids & tweeters with L7 audio components or do I get new 4" components?

I'm kind of at my max budget on this project at the moment but I don't mind spending a bit more if I need to. Any advice or guidance from those who've gone down this road already is appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

JP
Looks like u got ur work cut out for u.
It seems the ony spot u have to mount your amp is upside down under the rear deck, since your two seats fold down.

For the fronts. what I did was add a 300 4 channel amp to the stock speakers. it made a huge difference, and was surprised with the results. So I decided to leave the stock speakers alone and not upgrade them. But I did add a Audio Controll equalizer
because the logic 7 to me sounds kinda muddy and no clairity ( I actually have it turned off ). After I installing the EQ it really brought clairity to the system. Cymbals are now crisp and clear,u can hear the high hats open and close. Mids are deep and solid. u can actually hear and distinguish all the different instruments clearly. I am really happy with them... I would suggest trying out the factory speakers with with the added power first , see how you like the sound before spending the money replacing the factory ones. ( It was a 900 dollar savings not upgrading the speakers ) If your still not happy then upgade the speakers if u feel u need to. But they actually sound really good with a little xtra power and the added EQ.

If your like me and want more kick out of the bass,, a added woofer is the way to go. Because the under seat woofers are not gonna do the job, actually my under seat woofers are wired as mids. I have a separate 500 1 channel amp pushing a Cirwin Vega 10 inch with an enclosure ported into the cab. I don't have the folding rear seat so I had to cut a port hole in the back rest . All my equiptment is mounted behind the rear seat in the trunk.

If I remember correctly every thing cost me around 1,100 bucks. That's 2 amps . woofer, box , equalizer. So im really happy with the way it sounds for the amount of money I put in.
Old 06-24-2013 | 06:08 PM
New Members

This is actually an easy upgrade compared to ones I've done on other cars I've owned. JTSherri's spacers and Technic's harness really simplifies the installation and wiring. I'm so used to tapping wires and doing all of that stuff manually, which takes time. So does making spacers, although I may have to do that anyway if I decide to get new front components.

I'm going to take your advice for now and try the OEM speakers powered by the amp. If I'm happy with the sound, I'll leave it as is. I am looking for more bass which is why I went with the Earthquake SWS-8 subs to replace the 6.5" under seat mid bass drivers. I'm not looking for crazy bass, just a nice clean, full sound. I'm pretty sure I'll be more than satisfied with the sound once it's installed and tuned.

I think you're right about amp location. Underneath the rear deck is looking like the spot. I am also considering buying the rear trunk trim that will give me the added space for the amp underneath but that's just more money.
Old 06-24-2013 | 08:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

If you are good with MDF do a mount plate in the trunk against the rear seat and then top with a beauty plate. This will make further adjustments and system changes way easier then under the back deck IMO.
Old 06-25-2013 | 03:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Alpine amp you listed is a Class D, and it should not run hot. It will be perfectly OK to mount that amp upside down under the rear parcel shelf.

I am running 2 Audison amps in my E60 and they are mounted this way. It's been 4 years with no overheating problems, and they are Class A/B amps with internal cooling fans.
Old 06-25-2013 | 04:01 AM
New Members

Thanks for the replies, guys. OK, so now that underneath the rear deck is the spot, how should I mount it? Should I use nuts and bolts or will screws be enough to hold it up?
Old 06-25-2013 | 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Are you just mounting the amp there, or will there be more components like a processor?

My suggestion would be to limit the number of holes drilled into the rear deck. In my car, we accomplished this by building a metal frame rack which attaches to the deck via 4 screws. We then mounted my equipment to the rack.

A second benefit to using a rack to attach your amp is the rack provides a small airspace between the deck and amp, which aids in cooling.

Last edited by subterFUSE; 06-25-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-25-2013 | 12:13 PM
New Members

For the initial installation it will be just the amp but I may add a JBL MS8 at a later date. I'm thinking that a piece of plywood large enough for the MRX-V60 and MS8, wrapped in gray carpet and mounted to the deck with four screws would work well. I have room for the AudioControl LC6i LOC behind the interior panels so that won't need to be mounted under the rear deck.

SubterFUSE - Can you post some pics of your metal rack?
Old 06-25-2013 | 01:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jeremyp

SubterFUSE - Can you post some pics of your metal rack?
I took some photos and tried to upload. I got one picture to upload, but now there is no link to add more photos. Stupid forum....

Anyway, here is the one photo that uploaded. It shows the metal rack (the black squarish rod that a zip tie is attached to.

Old 06-25-2013 | 02:26 PM
New Members

That's a nice install. I like the idea of getting airflow above the amp. I don't have the tools or skills to fab up something like that in metal but I could easily cut a couple strips of plywood and do the same thing. I'm not concerned with making it show quality, just clean looking so I might just sand it smooth and spray it black instead of covering with carpet. Either way, I really like your rack mount idea. Thanks for taking the time to post up your pic. It was a GREAT help!

JP

Quick Reply: Audio system upgrade in 05 545i w/ HiFi Audio