E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Attn: 6MT Drivers, does your Clutch Creak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='570765' date='Apr 29 2008, 11:22 AM
Further update:

Dealer felt vibration in the clutch "slave cylinder" (or something like that), so they replaced that, but still squeaks. Now, they are going to replace the entire clutch, becuase they think it is coming from the pressure plates.

Looks like I have a couple more days with the X5 (which is very nice, but I miss the fun of my V8!). Also, since my car has 48k miles on it, it will be nice to have a new clutch from a longevity standpoint, even if the sound doesn't go away. I also assume that to replace the clutch, they will have to drain and refill the tranny, right? which will be a nice bonus as well.
no, they don't have to refill the tranny to swap out the clutch. that portion of tranny is separate from the clutch area. you can happily remove and reinstall a manual tranny without touching the fluid.

-felix
Old 07-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Further Update:

After having the slave cylinder and the entire clutch replaced, I took it back again for the creaking. Same noise. No improvement. This time, they lubricated a pin in the clutch pedal and thought that fixed it. It didn't. Still creaking. It's driving me crazy.

then... I heard about these UUC Motorwerks clutch arm bushings.

Here is what their website says:

UUC Motorwerks Clutch Arm Bushings
Got a squeaky clutch pedal arm driving you insane? Is it also sloppy, and slipping to the side?

Quite simply, it is well-known that BMW's original clutch arm bushings are the culprit for these annoying problems. You can lubricate, replace, curse, even murmur obscure voodoo prayers - but none of that will work.

The Solution:

By simply replacing the stock bushings with the UHMW (Ultra High Molecular Weight polycetal) UUC Motorwerks Clutch Arm Bushings, you can permanently get rid of that annoying squeak and the side-slop.

The great advantage of UHMW over other materials is the superior long-term wear characteristics and self-lubricating properties.

They only cost $20 a pair. I am debating whether I should just give this a try myself or should I take it back to the dealer once again. Does anyone know of DIY instructions for removing a clutch pedal?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:30 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Timing for this thread is very appropriate.

I spoke with the Service manager at my dealership last Friday, wherein I discussed the occasional creaking clutch syndrome. It does not occur all the time but is more noticeable with hotter ambient temperatures. His off the cuff and immediate response to me was that there is a neoprene pin in the clutch system that gets dry or wears out and requires replacement.

The bad news is, the tranny needs to be unbolted to access this pin. The good news is, it is covered by warranty.

If my guy is right, it is so funny (and stupid) that BMW does not share this info with all dealerships in the form of a service or technical bulletin. You would think they would get pissed for replacing clutches and other parts unnecessarily.

I dropped my 550i manual off yesterday with the fix being performed today. I asked him to have the tech check the clutch disk while he had access for any unusual wear.

I will hopefully have a definitive answer this afternoon when I pick my car up and will re-post.

al
Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Quick update

Car not ready hopefully will have response Friday.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Contributors

Thanks to both of you for keeping us informed with your progress. All of us manual transmission folks will be waiting ...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:52 PM
AlB
Senior Members

OK, follow-up on creaking clutch

here is my update for 7/3

Called dealership to see if my car was ready and was told, parts were ordered. I said, huh and was promptly told that a new clutch and flywheel were on order. When I got to the delaership, I was informed that the neoprene pin was the cause of the creak, but upon close inspection, they found that the flywheel was not seated properly and was twisting when it shouldn't. So, early next week, I will get my 550i back with a new clutch, flywheel and neoprene pin. I had not experienced any clutch slippage had did notice a wee bit of judder when easing off clutch very slowly (as when parking in my garage). In the meantime I am driving a 3.0 , 2008 X5. Quite the different ride.

As I get more details, will post.

al
Old 07-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Thanks for the update. I wonder if the neoprene pin is the same one that UUC makes as an aftermarket option? if so, I may just buy the UUC one and try it.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually hear the driveshaft knocking when low gearing. Haven't any of you? or it's the noise you are mentioning?
Old 07-04-2008, 04:23 AM
AlB
Senior Members

No shaft noise. The noise we are referencing is when the clutch pedal is cycled in and out. It can also be heard when the car is off and not running. It is a creaking noise.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:24 AM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='615995' date='Jul 3 2008, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the update. I wonder if the neoprene pin is the same one that UUC makes as an aftermarket option? if so, I may just buy the UUC one and try it.
You may want to consider the value. My service rep told me the tranny must be unbolted to replace the pin. Could be a very expensive piece of neoprene.

al

Quick Reply: Attn: 6MT Drivers, does your Clutch Creak?