E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Attn: 6MT Drivers, does your Clutch Creak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

I saw that other thread about the suspension creaking, and that reminded me that I have been meaning to ask if anyone else with a manual has a creaking clutch. It just started doing it one day. I only notice it when it is under load, and usually just when slowly letting out into first, like at a stoplight or something. If I have the car in neutral and push the clutch in and out it doesn't do it. Very odd. Happens at different temps and regardless of shoes. The noise sounds like it is coming from in the dash, but I can't exactly get my head down there to listen as I am letting it out into first gear. I'm hoping it is just a lubrication issue and not something serious.

Anyone else have this?
Old 04-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='558698' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:33 PM
I saw that other thread about the suspension creaking, and that reminded me that I have been meaning to ask if anyone else with a manual has a creaking clutch. It just started doing it one day. I only notice it when it is under load, and usually just when slowly letting out into first, like at a stoplight or something. If I have the car in neutral and push the clutch in and out it doesn't do it. Very odd. Happens at different temps and regardless of shoes. The noise sounds like it is coming from in the dash, but I can't exactly get my head down there to listen as I am letting it out into first gear. I'm hoping it is just a lubrication issue and not something serious.

Anyone else have this?
I don't in my E60, but it only has 15k miles right now. My E39 did it. You have to lube the hinge points on the pedal assembly. I haven't looked down there yet, but on the E39 you had to remove the panel around the pedals to do it. Pretty easy on that car.

-felix
Old 04-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Members

Yep, my clutch also make that squeaking/creaking sound.
Not all the time, but occasionally.
Took it to dealer many times, but couldn't figure out what is exactly making the noise.
Happens regardless of shoes, but I came to a conclusion of my own:
"Noise seem to occur more on hot days"
Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

mine was making a squeaking springy noise, quite often it will go 'cluuuuunkk', sounds like some spring noise from the clutch.
brought it to the dealer and they lubricate some spring for me, and it seems to go away.
the dealer was nice enough and order me a new spring, so they change it out for me and no more noise
actually after they first lub it the noise goes away, but they got the part anyways so i was like, 'sure, let's change it'.
to lub it should be pretty easy, check with your dealer or if you are out of warranty, just bring it to an indy and see if lubbing it solves the problem
Old 04-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='558698' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:33 PM

Anyone else have this?
My E39 M5 did it at 30,000 so they replaced the clutch. My '06 650i did it at 12,000 (just after I bought it CPO) so they replaced the clutch. It started to creak again occasionally at 20,000 but I traded it soon after.

So yes.....

But now I have a Sport Automatic in the 550i.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

No, but I've had it in past BMWs. If it's coming from under your car (go into your garage where it's really quiet and open the door with the engine off), then it's the throwout bearing. It's expensive and should be covered under warranty.

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='558698' date='Apr 9 2008, 12:33 PM

Anyone else have this?
Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d SE Jet black / anthracite Advanced air con Sun protection glass USB Style 244 wheels

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='558698' date='Apr 9 2008, 07:33 PM

Anyone else have this?
My car does this (or should I say did this), normally in stop start traffic or under load such as when hill starting etc. I found it was worse when the car interior was warm, I would get a noise from the clutch pedal (both going down and up) that sounded like a creaking door, which used to drive me mad .

I took the car to the dealers, who lubricated the clucth pedal, but the noise came back after just a few hundred miles. However, for the last 1000 miles of so it has been quiet, so I am hoping that it has now gone for good...

I would take it into the dealer and get them to have a look.

LM
Old 04-10-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

No.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Quick Update:

Car is at dealer for a couple things now, including the creaking clutch. They verified that it is creaking and said that with the hood up, they can hear it from the engine compartment louder than from inside the car (which is where I was hearing it). They have three techs looking at it trying to figure out what it is. They are keeping it over the weekend, which is fine with me, since they gave me a new X5 to drive.

I'll let you all know what they end up doing, but I am glad it is still under warranty. Thanks to everyone who replied above.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Contributors

Further update:

Dealer felt vibration in the clutch "slave cylinder" (or something like that), so they replaced that, but still squeaks. Now, they are going to replace the entire clutch, becuase they think it is coming from the pressure plates.

Looks like I have a couple more days with the X5 (which is very nice, but I miss the fun of my V8!). Also, since my car has 48k miles on it, it will be nice to have a new clutch from a longevity standpoint, even if the sound doesn't go away. I also assume that to replace the clutch, they will have to drain and refill the tranny, right? which will be a nice bonus as well.

Quick Reply: Attn: 6MT Drivers, does your Clutch Creak?