E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Assistance needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday the FTM went off and I pulled into the nearest station and checked tire pressures and found the left rear to be at 20psi - could not see anything - so I filled up to the proper psi and went on my merry way.

This morning I get another FTM warning and pulling in my neighborhood Exxon and check the left rear - again down to 20 psi - except this time I see a rather large screw!

So I come home and leave the car in garage and when I got home tonight I proceed to "try" and remove and can't So I place a call the Roadside Assistance and 30 minutes later the dude shows up and we get the rim off....

now the shocking part, the inside edge is horrible worn and in about 5 different places the sidewall is starting to split - boy am I glad I got the screw.

Assistance needed...-p4060479.jpg
note the inside tread on the right side of the tire in the picture...

Assistance needed...-p4060480.jpg
I have circled the "splitting"

Assistance needed...-p4060484.jpg
notice the "arrow" point to the "dip" in the tire as you view from left to right...

So, can someone please explain this wear pattern? Over inflating would have resulted in the middle wearing quickly and under inflating would have both outer sides wearing....I am at a loss for words!

Some of you will know that I have complained bitterly about the Bridgestones and will go back to the Michelins like on my M5!

TIA,

Cheers.....
Old 04-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

How many miles do you have on those tires and how do you drive your car: aggressive, normal, pansy?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My guess is underinflation. I realize that normally you'd expect the outsides to wear if a tire is underinflated but with the negative camber of the rear wheels on these cars, the inside will wear more than the outside...
Old 04-06-2006, 07:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

WOW! those are really worn! How many miles do you have on them?
Old 04-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by Bokke' post='265729' date='Apr 7 2006, 02:08 AM
Yesterday the FTM went off and I pulled into the nearest station and checked tire pressures and found the left rear to be at 20psi - could not see anything - so I filled up to the proper psi and went on my merry way.

This morning I get another FTM warning and pulling in my neighborhood Exxon and check the left rear - again down to 20 psi - except this time I see a rather large screw!

So I come home and leave the car in garage and when I got home tonight I proceed to "try" and remove and can't So I place a call the Roadside Assistance and 30 minutes later the dude shows up and we get the rim off....

now the shocking part, the inside edge is horrible worn and in about 5 different places the sidewall is starting to split - boy am I glad I got the screw.

Attachment 17464
note the inside tread on the right side of the tire in the picture...

Attachment 17465
I have circled the "splitting"
Its not balance its ALIGNMENT you don't experience anything in the cars driving buts thats the problem if you had it lowered that would be the reason
Attachment 17466
notice the "arrow" point to the "dip" in the tire as you view from left to right...

So, can someone please explain this wear pattern? Over inflating would have resulted in the middle wearing quickly and under inflating would have both outer sides wearing....I am at a loss for words!

Some of you will know that I have complained bitterly about the Bridgestones and will go back to the Michelins like on my M5!

TIA,

Cheers.....
Its the alignment there's no other reason it you lowered the car that would be the reason
Old 04-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

sorry, the mileage is 17,300.....

I stopped by NTB this morning and showed them the tire and they suspected alignment as well. I am pretty good about checking inflation, so I would be surprised if that were the case - but you never know!

So, my next questions is how does the rear become un-aligned?
Old 04-07-2006, 06:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='265756' date='Apr 7 2006, 06:06 AM
My guess is underinflation. I realize that normally you'd expect the outsides to wear if a tire is underinflated but with the negative camber of the rear wheels on these cars, the inside will wear more than the outside...
I'm with Rudy here (once again).

A modern radial tyre can practically not be overinflated.

One should always have a bit more pressure in the tyres
than the manual says.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='265903' date='Apr 7 2006, 10:26 AM
I'm with Rudy here (once again).

A modern radial tyre can practically not be overinflated.

One should always have a bit more pressure in the tyres
than the manual says.
Not that I disagree with any alignment theories. Are you still using a factory setup (OEM wheels, no spacers, etc.?)
Old 04-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributors

It looks like an alignment issue. However I have to comment on the "you can't over inflate modern radial tires" statement. I used to club race a 911 and the one thing that made the most significant difference in performance was tire pressure. Two lbs. front or rear made the car handle substantially different. Something to conceder.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:28 AM
Senior Members

Look here for a simple explanation of wear problems:

Dunlop Tyres

You clearly have a problem with camber or alignment.

Wear SHOULD be even accross the surface of the tyre.

Quick Reply: Assistance needed...