E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

arggg, got ticket for no front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As already mentioned, use double sided tape. 3M makes molding/trim tape specifically for vehicles. I used it on mine and it's held with no holes on the bumper. Just be sure your front plate holder is really the M-Tech plate holder and not the one for the standard bumper.
Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='372115' date='Dec 29 2006, 07:35 PM
I really hate the look of a front license plate so I never put one on. I got a ticket for no reason today other than the fact that I had no front plate. Now i have to get one put on. Does anyone know of a mounting bracket that won't require me to drill into my M-tech kit? Maybe one that mounts from under and comes out to hold the plate? I really really really do not want to drill into my bumper. Any help would be great.

david
My car has factory fitted bracket, it is part of front bumper - I will inspect and let you know
how it's mounted.

Alternative is to use double sided tape...make sure that bumper is clean.

Alex
Old 12-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bleudyno' post='372115' date='Dec 29 2006, 12:35 PM
I really hate the look of a front license plate so I never put one on. I got a ticket for no reason today other than the fact that I had no front plate. Now i have to get one put on. Does anyone know of a mounting bracket that won't require me to drill into my M-tech kit? Maybe one that mounts from under and comes out to hold the plate? I really really really do not want to drill into my bumper. Any help would be great.

david
SM traffic controller ticketed my bike share park with a car at the same time at one metered spot. Those power-play MothaFcukers need a life!

these haters hate nice cars and bikes.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 M5 -- Exterior: Silverstone, Interior: Black. Fully Loaded. That just about sums it up! :-)

Bummer! :thumbsdown:

The only time my car is standing still is either at my office parking lot, or in my garage. Not much opportunity for a cop to "see" my front bumper while standing still.

A fellow BMW buddy got a fix-it ticket for not having a plate and his solution was pretty good one, that *psychologically* prevented the cop from even tugging on the license plate:

1) He sawed off a couple of screws so that only the head of the screw was left.
2) He glued the screws where the mounting holes are on the license plate.
3) double-side tape between license plate and holder.
4) double-side tape between license plate holder and bumper.
5) Cop saw the screws and *assumed* that the place was affixed to the bumper.

Good Luck!
-Tony
Old 12-29-2006, 01:30 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 535i

I hate the front plate aswell and never did it. I have never gotten ticket yet. Every time I go into the city (I don't directly live in L.A; i'm in Valencia but I frequently go to santa monica etc.) The dealer put a front plate on my X5 and that is the one I drive to work sooo...I I am always worried about those meter maids... Do you think they'd leave you alone if you put the plate in the front windshield of my 5 while i'm parked? Did you get the ticket while you were driving or while parked?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Members

I used to live in the West Side of L.A. LAPD is so tough here. NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE is the # 1 revenue for the city parking enforcement. Those local parking enforcers driving around all day just to give out ticket for car with no front plate. The city has so many high line cars with no plate that is what one enforcer told me after he gaves me a ticket, and the fine is big along with the inspection.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daytrader0' post='372215' date='Dec 29 2006, 06:36 PM
I used to live in the West Side of L.A. LAPD is so tough here. NO FRONT LICENSE PLATE is the # 1 revenue for the city parking enforcement. Those local parking enforcers driving around all day just to give out ticket for car with no front plate. The city has so many high line cars with no plate that is what one enforcer told me after he gaves me a ticket, and the fine is big along with the inspection.
damn right, the most insane parking ticket I've gotten was at mid night 2-3am where permit is required.
Old 12-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Front license plates are so gay. I could never live in a state that requires them.

Lucky for me, they don't even give you a front plate in FL. One plate only.... for rear.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

i put a euro plate on the front bumper of my car.. for that i just put the original california plate in the windshield... ive been told that it wont stop a cop from giving me a ticket but ive never had a problem with it.. cops have seen me but when i see them look at my car they look at the plate then i see their eyes roll over to where my original plate is in the windshield. and ive pretty much driven all over california. one of my dad's co-worker's son has a vw with a euro plate and the dad told him to put the original plate in the windshield at least, like i did. he didnt and this week he got a ticket and all and his dad got mad that he took his euro plate and broke it.

so wouldnt it be ok if you just put your plate in the windshield if it calls for it?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Members

I'd rather not put one on my new 550i, but since they are required in Texas, I will. I don't want to give the cops a green light to pull me over whenever they feel like it. BTW, this is a great site!!!

Quick Reply: arggg, got ticket for no front license plate