E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Arg!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arg!!!

Hi all,

Loads of related problems, but nothing specific hence post.

Started my 520d, 2006 E60 yesterday morning, no problems, got to work approx. 20mile, mixed driving, but mainly motorway. Parked up at 8am, got back to the car at 5pm - Dead.

A yellow symbol, that looks like a car on a jack flashed up and the I-drive said something like, excess battery discharge. So called the AA.

AA person attended, checked the car, battery was at 9.6V. He had trouble getting it started, but eventually managed it. Once started he checked charging rate etc. 14.5v - 15v and the battery was charging at around 29-30A(he said). After about 15 mins with the engine running he concluded it was all good

I was very suspect. He then went on to test the car with his equipment, 3.8A to 4A drain??? he looked puzzled. He said the car hasn't shutdown fully and the computers are still running. After some time the reading hadn't changed, but he said the battery looks OK. He ran a test on the battery that came back ok and still showed charged.

He then asked me to start the car - same symbol, and no start. After scratching his head, he concluded something must be draining the battery still. He connected all his leads back up and got me started.

I drove the car straight to the stealers, left it outside ready for the morning, assuming the car will not start. Got there this morning, 12.5 hours later and the car started like normal ???? WTF.

Anyway, it's still at the stealers, they are too busy to look at it today, maybe Monday. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar?

Before you ask, all lights were off, nothing was left on and as far as I know it's still the original BMW Battery as supplied from the factory.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by rmistry22; 03-07-2014 at 07:41 AM.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:08 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

>> AA person attended, checked the car, battery was at 9.6V.

9.6V is too low.

12.6 Volts is 100% charge.
12.4 Volts is 75%
12.2 Volts is 50%
12.0 Volts is 25%
11.9 Volts is close to 0%.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

+1
9.6 is a dead battery. Something major like a headlight would have to be on to drain the battery that low in such a short time.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Headlight switch is always on auto. What I don't understand is why it started in the morning like normal. The stealer didn't get to look at it today so have to wait until Monday until I'll know more. Hope it is just the battery.
Old 03-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately due to luck of the draw the AAA technician that showed up in your case was less than informed.

As others have said, 9.6V indicates a fully discharged battery (unless it is being measured while there is a large current draw on the battery).

First, if the battery voltage was accurately measured a battery this low on charge will never re-charge in 15 minutes with the engine idling. Second, high current charging should be done by removing the battery and using a battery charger.

If the battery were to be removed from the car and put on a charger it would typically draw 6-7 amps during charging and take many hours to fully charge. Your alternator can supply many more amps, but first you risk ruining the battery by boiling the acid away (the IBS on the BMWs is designed to measure the negative terminal temperature and prevent this), and an alternator, especially an older one, can be damaged by being called on to supply 30 amps of charging current, especially at idle. Charging while idling is the worst case for the alternator, as in order to develop high output currents it dramatically increases the internal field current while being turned at a slow RPM.

It is possible that driving the car to the dealers at higher engine speeds on the highway was enough to charge the battery back to where it would at least start later.

You likely have a dying battery on the ragged edge. Most dealers get a high price for an installed, registered battery (cheapest would be $300 and I have heard of some dealers gouging upwards of $700), so if you are not willing to pay that I suggest you be ready to pick up the car and install your own battery, with registration optional at an independent repair shop for around $50.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:00 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

A BMW factory original battery for a 2006 E60 definitely is bad and needs to be replaced. The thing is 8 years old, but you got a good run out of that battery.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 AM
Contributors

Finally, the stealer got back to me yesterday.... New Battery, IBS lead & Recode needed. Authorised repair. They ordered the parts and installed this morning, come to re-code and I got a call 'parts fitted and everything looks ok, however the car is saying 8 hours to re-code, so I'm afraid you won't get your car back today'...... WTF why is it going to take 8 hours to re-code the car?. Just grateful their not charging me for that !

Last edited by rmistry22; 03-11-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

That's because they are recoding the entire car. They don't just update one module their system shows what needs updating then they update everything.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:38 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M SPORT PKG - sport suspension (ARS) 19" x 8.0" front & 19" x 9.5" rear double-spoke M wheels,M-Tech Bumper, M-Side Skirts, 6-Speed Steptronic w/OD, RPI GT Exhaust, RPI scoop, 20% tint

Since we are on the battery topic. I sometimes get that same symbol if I don't run the car for a couple days. Then I drive to and from work (20 mi) each way and its gone. I had mine checked at the dealer last visit and it was ok. Out of curiosity..what is the cost of a new battery?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:15 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Originally Posted by Blaze46
Since we are on the battery topic. I sometimes get that same symbol if I don't run the car for a couple days. Then I drive to and from work (20 mi) each way and its gone. I had mine checked at the dealer last visit and it was ok. Out of curiosity..what is the cost of a new battery?
You should get a trickle charger and charge the battery once in a while. That will take of the problem [of car not being driven long enough for the alternator to replenish the battery].

Cost of a new battery will depend on where you buy and which battery you buy. Call your local BMW dealer's parts dept and ask them, they will tell you the price.

Quick Reply: Arg!!!