E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone waiting on the new I-6 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 03:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if anyone is holding off on a 530/525 purchase until the new engine comes out?

I've actually thought about doing a 2-year lease on a 525, and then by lease end, the 530 would have the new engine, any remaining software issues would be worked out and maybe it would have the "keyless go" system that's in the new 3 series.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:03 AM
Senior Members

The 525i will get a new engine the same time as the 530i.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

I'm waiting only because I can't order my car until approximately April. Which would probably be delivered by June/July, and then three months later a new model year and engine would be avaialable, so I would rather wait and get whatever they are planning to put into the MY'06s. The one thing I would like to know is if the price will go up with the new engine. If it does, then I may go ahead and order a 2005 model...it is pricey enough as is.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

^^^^An increased price seems probable.
Anyone have any info on the upcoming prices?
I would guestimate $2-4kUSD
Old 11-08-2004, 09:07 AM
Contributors

im waiting on the new R6 3.0, no reason to buy the E60 530 when a new engine with about 35bhp more than the current 3.0 will be available shortly...also, am in the US and refuse to buy the E60 without the M-tech pack which is still not available, my dealer doesnt even know this pack exists ....

i do hope that BMWNA wakes up already and does listen to this board as many potential owners are being ignored with their decisions not to allow US buyers to order via the new packages available to the rest of the world, like the M-tech as well as the Individual program...i guess i'll just wait and hope that im not forced to buy a car from a different manufacturer, i know i dont want to, but this discrecionary way of offering products to this market really annoys me, especially when you factor in that the US market is their largest market
Old 11-08-2004, 09:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

BMW NA is gatekeeper for the US Market. What is offered here from BMW, reflects what BMW NA believes to be appropriate and needed in the US Market. BMW listens. I would suggest writing BMW NA.

Pricing with the New Engine

Given the competitive nature of the market, my sales rep does not believe that the price bump, if any, will be significant. It is likely that there will be no price increase or a very slight increase based upon past BMW practice. Some dealers speak of a future price increase with a new engine as an incentive for the buyer to buy now and avoid the price increase. If it were me, I would do something on a temporary basis and get the 530 with the new engine as soon as it comes out. The current 3 liter engine is wonderful, well suited to US speed limits and highways. It is extremely smooth and torquey. My 530 had that engine and I enjoyed driving that car for 3 blissful years. The new 3 liter engine with 35 extra horsepower and new technology will be awesome and a great value.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:00 AM
Contributors

[quote name='pharding' date='Nov 8 2004, 01:38 PM']
BMW NA is gatekeeper for the US Market. What is offered here from BMW, reflects what BMW NA believes to be appropriate and needed in the US Market. BMW listens. I would suggest writing BMW NA.

thanks for the heads up...i have written them a few times on questions regarding products offered outside of the US and get no answers...the problem though, is in your words above....BMW NA does not know what I want, as they are not offereing what I want, and as I am a part of the US Market, they are letting me down.
When the rest of the world can buy an Individual BMW and I cannot, then I say that they are not meeting my needs. When the rest of the world can order an E60 with an M-tech pack or have fold-in mirrors, or backup cameras or even the ability to purchase an E63 630i, and I cannot, then I again say to BMW NA, you are not meeting the needs of the US market, as I know that Im not the only person who is complaining that these options and cars are not available here in the US
its really confusing that they do not just give us the same cars that are available to Europe and Asia for a price...if we are willing to spend the $$$, then they should make the market available to us...
unfortunately I do not hold my breathe here as BMW NA has taken us for granted already and do not see anything that makes me believe different
Old 11-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

The US market is a little different and you have to play market games. I too don't necessarily understand why we don't have the m-package or the fold in mirrors, but I do understand not bringing a 630i here. You have to make sure you have some kind of premium or exclusiveness to a brand that separates you from the pack. The 5 provides the broad range of buyers, the 645 has a niche market that BMW does want to make "affordable" to everyone. They want it to be exclusive, special, etc. That is important to many US buyers and BMW knows that. It is the same reason that you don't find a lower priced range rover or an lower priced Mercedes SL.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Nov 8 2004, 02:18 PM
but I do understand not bringing a 630i here.? You have to make sure you have some kind of premium or exclusiveness to a brand that separates you from the pack.? The 5 provides the broad range of buyers, the 645 has a niche market that BMW does want to make "affordable" to everyone.? They want it to be exclusive, special, etc.? That is important to many US buyers and BMW knows that.? It is the same reason that you don't find a lower priced range rover or an lower priced Mercedes SL.
[snapback]53887[/snapback]
agreed except for the 630, which is really the car im waiting for...and i wrote BMW NA regarding this point...BMW should realize that there is plenty of room in this segment for a 260hp premium coupe...look at MB, they offer the CLK 320 as well as the CLK 500, it just fits the market...i think that there comes to a point where you(THEY) have to realize that there isnt much of a need for a 345hp car living in NYC. I love the way the E63 looks, but I refuse to buy a 4.5 litre engine to drive around on crappy roads for the most part and get 12mpg. I know that the 630i, which is powerful enough to drive all day long on the autobahn at 150mph is plenty fast and efficient and im of the mindset that if i can buy something beautiful and eco-friendly, well that will be my choice...
its not about cost or exclusivity, as they offer the car in the Europe now and its less than a $10,000 difference in terms of pricing...when you look at the number of cars (E63 coupe's) sold in the US, you realize that they are selling very few of these cars, I cant understand why they wouldnt want to sell more cars than less...and the bottom line is, the 645 is not the top by far, as the M6 will take that title and make the 645 seem inexpensive...
well, im sure the BMW NA will not make me happy, and if im luckly, they will at least bring the E60 to the US with the nice packs like the M-tech, but if not, well, then i'll have to look elsewhere to throw my paper ($$) away on...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Come on guys. You can buy a 545i for less than we pay for a 525i. Would you demand to be able to order M-tech if it was Europe pricing too.

Quick Reply: Anyone waiting on the new I-6 engine?