E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone track their E60?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 10:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning on taking the E60 out to the track for a few laps.

I've tracked the E39, but not the E60, and was wondering whether there was anyone on this board who has tracked their car could give me a few answers/pointers. Specifically:

1. How well do the stock brakes hold up? I'd normally swap out the pads, lines and flush with new fluid, but I'd like to use up the OEM setup first and then get them replaced under the BMW maintenance plan before putting in aftermarket parts.

2. What psi (hot) did you run with? I have PS2 right now and not going to swap out to slicks or Hoosiers.

Thanks much.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.

Originally Posted by ipse dixit' post='193546' date='Nov 4 2005, 02:57 PM
Planning on taking the E60 out to the track for a few laps.

I've tracked the E39, but not the E60, and was wondering whether there was anyone on this board who has tracked their car could give me a few answers/pointers. Specifically:

1. How well do the stock brakes hold up? I'd normally swap out the pads, lines and flush with new fluid, but I'd like to use up the OEM setup first and then get them replaced under the BMW maintenance plan before putting in aftermarket parts.

2. What psi (hot) did you run with? I have PS2 right now and not going to swap out to slicks or Hoosiers.

Thanks much.
Just attended my first BMWCCA regional driving course last weekend. It was GREAT!
I have a post in the General discussion area. To answer your questions:

1) I found the stock brake pads held up very well. In order to pass the tech inspection you must prove that you have replaced your brake fluid in the last 90 days.

2) I am already on my winter tires which are Dunlop Sport M3s. I started with 35 psi for my first track session, and then went to 38 psi for the rest of the day.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I've tracked my E60 together with Hobi. We rented out a racetrack.
The E60 is great. By far the best brakes ever on a regular car. NOthing compared to Audi. They perform really well. And the suspension ouh lovely. The car sits like glued.
It was blastttttttt. But remember it is good to stop after a few laps and let the car cool of. Otherwise you will damage the break discs.
Also new tires will be a must probably

And remember no matter how much you believe in your car and your driving skills or even when you think you are a great driving racing on the streets - when you get to a race track you will realize that the real limits are far far beyond your imaginations.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone track their E60?-adjusted___d2x_0845.jpg  
Old 11-05-2005, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

0-60, anyone?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='193798' date='Nov 5 2005, 02:18 AM
I've tracked my E60 together with Hobi. We rented out a racetrack.
The E60 is great. By far the best brakes ever on a regular car. NOthing compared to Audi. They perform really well. And the suspension ouh lovely. The car sits like glued.
It was blastttttttt. But remember it is good to stop after a few laps and let the car cool of. Otherwise you will damage the break discs.
Also new tires will be a must probably

And remember no matter how much you believe in your car and your driving skills or even when you think you are a great driving racing on the streets - when you get to a race track you will realize that the real limits are far far beyond your imaginations.
Thanks very much Peter for your thoughts.

I've got a GC custom setup in place of the stock suspension, so I'm not worried about the suspension.

Good to hear about the brakes. I'll probably flush the lines before I go out to the track with Motul RBF or maybe splurge and drop in some Castrol RSF.

Wish I had the $$ to rent out a track. Good for you. Must've been fun.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

if you were in Europe you could join us. The fun think is that it is not that expensive to rent the whole track exclusively. Just like $500 for an hour