E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone take delivery of a SMG car yet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

If yes, please tell all.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pennetta

take that as a no then!

in this class of car smg will be very rare - most 5 series buyers are looking for a refined and relaxed ride - auto is a must have option.

and no, the auto option on the smg is no substitute!

jonboy
Old 04-12-2004, 12:22 PM
Contributors

I ordered SMG but estimated delivery date is June. I know that is late but I will deffinetly let you all know how it is when I drive it.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:19 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 545i SMG, silver grey, grey Dakota leather, dark poplar, 124's, Nav, Logic 7, PDC, CWP, xenon adaptive lights, comfort seats, electric rear sunshade, hardwired V1, Bluetooth, Aux input, Progman 25, poplar wood trim front lower dash and rear cente

Pennetta, I picked up my 545 SMG in Munich on April 1st. Over the next 4 days I put 750 miles on the car in all types of driving conditions... autobahn, city streets, back roads through mountains, etc... I absolutely love the SMG and I'm very pleased I made that choice. Around town, shifting at lower rpm's, you can smooth out the shifting by making the gearchange just as you would in a standard manual transmission car. Gently lift up on the accelerator a bit as you engage the next gear and then smoothly accelerate again. The shifting is as smooth as any experienced driver with the best manual transmission - even boardering on as smooth as an auto gearbox. When upshifting at more sporting speeds, the shifts are precise and quick, much more so than standard transmissions. In any case, the downshifts are always perfect. Revs are matched, gears are changed absolutely smooth.

The auto function on the SMG is very convenient and the shifting can be smoothed out somewhat by easing off on the accelerator slightly when you anticipate the gear changes. However, in the auto mode, the SMG will never be as smooth as a true auto gearbox - IMHO.

In summary, if you want a manual gearbox, then I think you will love the SMG. If you really want a fully automatic gearbox, then you are better off with the Steptronic.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by jonboy' date='Apr 12 2004, 02:29 PM
pennetta

take that as a no then!

in this class of car smg will be very rare - most 5 series buyers are looking for a refined and relaxed ride - auto is a must have option.

and no, the auto option on the smg is no substitute!

jonboy
SMG cars were only available since March production. Those cars are just now getting delivered so I wouldn't make any assumptions yet. There are many enthusiasts who drive 5 series cars. Why do you think the 6-speeds are so coveted?

I've seen a couple posts on other boards from people who have picked up SMG cars and everyone seems truly pleased with it. I'm pretty sure nobody is choosing an SMG because of the automatic mode. Having that mode might be a nice option to use once in a while (heavy traffic, wife needs to use the car, etc.) but clearly it is intended for someone who wants a high-tech manual (not a "manumatic").

My SMG car is ready and waiting for me in Spartanburg. I'll be picking it up in a week.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Members

I love my SMG. Wouldn't change it for the world.
After reading all the complaints about how the shifting is rough, and it takes too long (anyone read the Bimmer article by the idiot who tried to drive a Z4 w/SMG?), etc, I was prepared for the worst. But I was surprised at how smooth it was, and in sport mode it will shift very quickly. Just think of it as a manual transmission with no clutch pedal and a really short throw. I never get tired of shifting, but my left calf is feeling neglected, especially in heavy traffic.
I would also echo everything jkava said. Your driving style will determine how smooth the shifts are - if you're taking it nice & easy, it will shift as smoothly as any automatic, but if you're pushing it, you'll feel the difference. There are a few things to get used to, but if you drive just as you would a normal manual, you'll love it. Right now I don't like the automatic mode because it's too unpredictable for me. Just keep it in manual/sport mode.
If you have any further questions, I'll try to answer them for you.