E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone switch from an E60 to an X5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by twh
X5 is much stiffer than my e60. My X5 does not have sport suspension
So even without sport suspension, X5 is stiffer.

Originally Posted by twh
I posted earlier ~~ my first test drive with my wife was an X5 with the Sport suspension. Then we drove the X5 without Sport. Sport suspension has a stiffener ride. I didn't think I could convince her to get an X5 until we drove the non-Sport.
Are you now saying the X5 is only stiffer with the sport suspension? Without it, it's not stiffer than an E60? They seem to be conflicting messages.

Sport suspension is always going to be stiffer than non-sport, in any car. The consensus in the rest of the thread is that the X5 is generally stiffer regardless of sport suspension. Hearing that, it kind of made sense. Probably to reduce body roll due to the high centre of gravity.

Originally Posted by twh
Another thing to consider. My e60 530xi is a manual transmission. Don't think you can get a manual X5 - if that appeals to you.
The xi never entered my thoughts because although I'm gaining one thing (the "x"), I'm losing another (the "8" of V8, and the 333 of 333BHP). I'd take the power of the V8 always.

My original thought was that an X5 is basically an E60 + 4WD + high ride. I'd already seen the 355BHP V8 I'd want in it. Turns out the ride is sufficiently degraded from an E60 to make it not the perfect car I was thinking it might be. It's not the one-car-fits-all that I hoped. I'd probably miss the E60's ride more than be enjoying what the X5 brought to the table. That's fine, I can live with that.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You need to just go and drive for yourself. The X5 is a great car but if you are looking for something specific, then just go and drive the various models. I've had a couple of them now and will pick up a new in just a few minutes. It?s the 3.5l and its plenty for my wife and I. If you need more power, try the 4+L versions or even an M version. But the point is you should just go and drive one. They handle so much different depending on the packages that it comes with. Even though it's on an e60 platform, its not an e60. When you turn there is still some leaning as with any larger vehicle.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

We own both cars, and though the X5 will never quite satisfy your desire for driving through the twisties exactly, it still handles SO much better than a vehicle of it's height should! The added utility is a welcome plus along with the elevated ride height. It's a great car as an addition or replacement, but as you've probably figured out by now it will leave you wanting somewhat in direct comparison to your E60!
Old 12-19-2011, 02:53 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Sorry to thread jack...but my wife has been looking at the X5 as a new kids hauler (Toyota Sienna replacement). Is the X5 pretty reliable? Is one engine more reliable than the other? Another option is an Acura MDX.
Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

I love this thread. I was also thinking about getting an X5. I also like the X6. The only thing that I have a question about is MPGs. Is the X5 a gas guzzler?
Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by seanjordan
I love this thread. I was also thinking about getting an X5. I also like the X6. The only thing that I have a question about is MPGs. Is the X5 a gas guzzler?
I've had both the diesel and regular gas 3.5 l's. Gas on the diesel was better and according to the computer it said 24-25 combination driving interstate and city and 27-28 straight interstate. The gas version, under the same conditions gets 19.5 mpg and straight interstate 22-23. Of course that is under our driving habits, which I would put in the average way and not too aggressive. I just picked up the replacement x5 yesterday, so we will see if this gas version does any better. I liked the mileage of the diesel but you lost any savings with the high cost in fuel.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 AM
New Members

We just went through the same process. We were looking to replace our Ford Escape. Our top choices were the X5, Cayenne S, and Range Rover. We generally by used/CPO to save money. I thought the Cayenne drove the best of those three. It had its own daemons (like the Navigation system is abysmal). If buying new, the sales guy told me there's a waiting list for the Cayenne, since they just introduced a new model. In a way, used Range Rovers are the best deal. That is, you can buy a 3 year old RR for 40-45% of the original sticker. The car drives well, and it's outstanding off road (which few RR drivers actually do). The X5 (I only drove the 4.8 liter v8) was also a great performer. Not sure if it needed newer software, but I found the heavy downshifts to give it the roughest drive of the three.

BTW-- I also drove a couple of Mercedes MLs. These are also great vehicles, but I just could not get past the "over" power steering. Also, quite a few of these vehicles had creaks and rattles that would drive me crazy.

So what did we buy? None of the above... Last week, we bought a 2008 528xi (and this is my first post on this board). It was cheaper, I preferred the way it drove, and it gets better fuel economy. As far as driving position, it does not sit as high up as any of the above vehicles, but that was not important to me. I do wish the clearance was a bit higher. What also influenced my decision is that we do have another SUV (a Land Rover LR3), but it sounds like you have an SUV option as well.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535xiT6
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I liked the mileage of the diesel but you lost any savings with the high cost in fuel.
Maybe where you live something is nutty but I drive across the country 2x / year and premium is generally about the same $ as diesel. If you want to be silly about the math, you at least need to be accurate. The fuel economy of x5 diesel mpg is at least 18% better than the v6, and considerably better than any v8 suvs. Diesel fuel is rarely more than 8-9% above premium, but just as often it is equal depending on where you drive.

So, I could never be happy with a v6 suv, unless it were twin turbo, but even then the diesel wins in all ways except for up front cost. I say that because if total cost were the primary factor, even within BMW, an older one of any of them is cheaper over 10 years than a new or slightly used x5d.

I have an lr3 I bought new and spent $20,500 to build out for my purposes. It gets an awful 14-16 mpg, if I stay in the speed limit. However, you could buy one of these now for mid 20's easily, vs 60-70-80 for an new or newish loaded x5d. I drive 30k/ year, sometimes 40k, and even my math shows several years required to break even on an expensive lux diesel suv.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535 xi M sport. 2012 BMW 535 Xdrive M sport 2007 Toyota Sienna FWD LE 1996 Toyota 4runner Limited R.I.P. 2003 BMW 745Li, fully loaded 2001 BMW X5 3.0, Premium pck 1997 Chrysler Town & Country AWD 1998 Mercedes S320 1995 Mercedes 560 SEL

I've been a proud owner of 2001 X5 3.0L non sport since 2001, recently switched to a 2008 535xi M sport.
There is no comparison in terms of cargo space, utilities if thats what your looking for.
As for handling and performance, the N54 out performances the M54B30, E60 feels much ligther in the corner and much more fun when driven hard.
The M54 engine is very smooth, it revs eagerly to redline, and gearbox is great too.
However, the trade off is poor fuel economy (120$CAD to fill up), 2 ton weight, and age factor.
And YES the ride is harsh on rough roads, but it is livable with thicker tires. I had 285/35/22 with stock suspension year round, if I had a 2nd chance, I'd get 20s.

If you must go with a SUV, I'd say its much better choice than Q7, Q5, Rav 4, etc.
The only thing that can be more fun would be a Porsche Cayenne.
As for reliablities, I had no problems for 10 yrs, except for wear and tear, but I've heard many horrible stories. {Usually from 4.6, 4.4 owners)

Hope this helps.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Originally Posted by seanjordan
Matter of perspective, my M is averaging 16mph, and my 545 and X5 are both close to 20. I love the gas tank capacity especially during long distance travel, much fewer gas stops with the X.

Quick Reply: Anyone switch from an E60 to an X5 ?