E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone switch from an E60 to an X5 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 06:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my E60, but I'm missing having a high driving position and four wheel drive. So I've been looking at the whole range of SUV's and mini SUV's from the X1 to the X5, the Q3 to the Q7, Toyota's Rav 4, Kia's Sportage and Nissan's Qashqai and many others. I hated most of them. I'm coming to the conclusion that only the X5 would keep me in E60 "look and feel" internals (more or less) but give me the 4wd/high that I'm looking for. I've never really cared much about the look of the car, so won't be bothered about how the X5 looks compared to the E60. I care more about how it drives and feels, hence why you don't see a shitload of visual mods in my sig.

Anyone made that switch? Regret it? Why? Downsides?

If this was asked before, blame the dumb board search for not allowing me to enter X5 as a search term because it's less than 3 characters.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:56 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I drive and e60 and my wife drives an X5. My e60 is a 530xi with 17" wheels. So, you can get AWD with the e60 if you want it. I could swear e60 xi sat up an extra inch or so, but I can't find that documented. X5 is much higher up, of course. e60 is a car and drives like a car and the X5 is an SUV and drives like an SUV. As SUVs go, X5 handles very well, but I still prefer diving my e60. X5 is much stiffer than my e60. My X5 does not have sport suspension, but does have runflat tires. As far as AWD and snow, the X5 is pretty unstoppable, even with runflats. The e60 xi is fine in the snow, but the clearance is not the same - although I did drive from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC the night of the February 2010 blizzard in my e60
Old 12-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

We also have both, great car!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by twh
I drive and e60 and my wife drives an X5. My e60 is a 530xi with 17" wheels. So, you can get AWD with the e60 if you want it. I could swear e60 xi sat up an extra inch or so, but I can't find that documented. X5 is much higher up, of course. e60 is a car and drives like a car and the X5 is an SUV and drives like an SUV. As SUVs go, X5 handles very well, but I still prefer diving my e60. X5 is much stiffer than my e60. My X5 does not have sport suspension, but does have runflat tires. As far as AWD and snow, the X5 is pretty unstoppable, even with runflats. The e60 xi is fine in the snow, but the clearance is not the same - although I did drive from Pittsburgh to Washington, DC the night of the February 2010 blizzard in my e60
Thanks for the feedback. You're pretty much saying I'd be happy with the snow capabilities of the X5, which is what I figured, but I'd be less happy with the ride after having an E60 as a reference point to compare with, which I didn't figure. Great to hear stuff like this from someone who can compare directly. I certainly never thought I'd be downgrading the ride quality going to an X5. I knew it wouldn't go around a curve as fast as an E60, but then I don't ever take mine around a curve faster than an X5 could do it, so that's not an issue. I thought body roll would be the worst negative. Hearing that general ride quality suffers, doesn't make me happy at all.

If only I were single, I'd have both (and probably a Boxster too (and my E60 would be an M5 (and the X5 would be an X5M (and the Boxster would be a 911 Turbo))))

Time to stop trying to have one car that meets all my needs, they don't exist (although a new Cayenne Turbo S might come close, but it wouldn't meet by wish to not throw too much money at my ride).
Old 12-16-2011, 03:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

consider range rover sport?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i, Adaptive Xenons, 19" 166's

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Thanks for the feedback. You're pretty much saying I'd be happy with the snow capabilities of the X5, which is what I figured, but I'd be less happy with the ride after having an E60 as a reference point to compare with, which I didn't figure. Great to hear stuff like this from someone who can compare directly. I certainly never thought I'd be downgrading the ride quality going to an X5. I knew it wouldn't go around a curve as fast as an E60, but then I don't ever take mine around a curve faster than an X5 could do it, so that's not an issue. I thought body roll would be the worst negative. Hearing that general ride quality suffers, doesn't make me happy at all.

If only I were single, I'd have both (and probably a Boxster too (and my E60 would be an M5 (and the X5 would be an X5M (and the Boxster would be a 911 Turbo))))

Time to stop trying to have one car that meets all my needs, they don't exist (although a new Cayenne Turbo S might come close, but it wouldn't meet by wish to not throw too much money at my ride).
No switch but simple additions here..I've got the 545i, M5 and X5 and each one handles different in it's own way. IMHO you cannot go wrong with either one, so if you're in the 545i it's a great ride and I wouldn't change anything unless you just have to!

Process of elimination - if you travel long distances, then I get the most mileage on the X5 between gas stations, on the other hand the M5 is like a motorcycle - needing gas stops more frequently.

Handling wise the X5 handles great on all roads, and I have no plans to take it on the track so it does the job.

545i is great with gas, and handling so if I had to keep one car for all purposes... I would say the 545i, for bad weather I think some people almost get away with snow tires - so if you're in a region where you constantly deal with bad weather, and driving conditions dictate having an AWD, then I would say the E60 is a nice ride overall.

GL with your decision!
Old 12-17-2011, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Twice yearly car-change crisis coming to an end. When it's summer I wish mine was a convertible. When it's winter I wish it was a big 4WD SUV.

When all things are considered, there isn't another single car that gives me everything this one does, at this level of power, comfort and before anyone suggests alternatives, price.

Now if there was a 550xi, that would be another story entirely. I'd be losing nothing of the 5 and only gaining a bit more power and a lot more traction. That I'd do.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:11 AM
Members

I have both. My e60 is a 2010 528i, non-sport. My X5 is a 2006 4.4i, sport. I got the X5 for winter, just this year. The X5 is certainly stiffer and tighter handling. I've chalked that up to the sport package, but who knows. Frankly, I wouldn't switch if I had to choose one - but I am definitely loving the X5 for weekends and for the upcoming Michigan winter.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JWMich
I have both. My e60 is a 2010 528i, non-sport. My X5 is a 2006 4.4i, sport. I got the X5 for winter, just this year. The X5 is certainly stiffer and tighter handling. I've chalked that up to the sport package, but who knows. Frankly, I wouldn't switch if I had to choose one - but I am definitely loving the X5 for weekends and for the upcoming Michigan winter.
Thanks !!

I'm so glad I had the idea to ask this question. I'd never have thought the X5 would be a stiffer ride. Also to hear several people who've got both say that if they could only have one, it would be the E60 is just what I needed to hear.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:03 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Thanks !!

I'm so glad I had the idea to ask this question. I'd never have thought the X5 would be a stiffer ride. Also to hear several people who've got both say that if they could only have one, it would be the E60 is just what I needed to hear.
I posted earlier...my first test drive with my wife was an X5 with the Sport suspension. Then we drove the X5 without Sport. Sport suspension has a stiffener ride. I didn't think I could convince her to get an X5 until we drove the non-Sport.

Another thing to consider. My e60 530xi is a manual transmission. Don't think you can get a manual X5 - if that appeals to you.

Quick Reply: Anyone switch from an E60 to an X5 ?