E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone notice these things....

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we need some pictures and will be better to discuss
Old 06-08-2005, 12:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

In the picture you can see a bulb in the inner light. This lights up both when highbeam is on and when you flash. The outer one lights in the centre. I'm sure I have bi-xenon lights as the highbeam at night is phenomenal.

Are these the same as yours in US? I would be suprised if the units are different.

I know on the UK spec mark 1 X5 they only have xenon on low beam.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone notice these things....-2005_0608image0026__small_.jpg  
Old 06-08-2005, 01:08 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 "Stripper" Now C6 "Stripper"
Talking

Look, listen and feel!

The 545i even before any exhaust mods (B&B, Eisenmann, Remus) has a subdued "growl" sound to it.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:58 PM
In the picture you can see a bulb in the inner light. This lights up both when highbeam is on and when you flash. The outer one lights in the centre. I'm sure I have bi-xenon lights as the highbeam at night is phenomenal.

Are these the same as yours in US? I would be suprised if the units are different.

[snapback]137718[/snapback]
They are all the same. No difference in the US. The inner one is for DRL and flashing.
Old 06-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merv the Derv' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:58 PM

Here's how I remember it working on my car:

-If you PULL on the high beam lever only the inner halogen high beams turn on (for flashing). This happens regardless of whether the low beam Xenons are on or off.

-If you PUSH on the high beam lever AND the low beam Xenons are already on then the flaps inside the Xenons move and change the light pattern into a "high beam" pattern, however, the inside halogen lights stay off. I think I read in another post that in this scenario the European models have BOTH the Xenon high beams (outside) and the halogen high beam/flashers (inside) come on.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 8 2005, 09:21 AM
Has anyone notice obscure differences between the 545i and the 530i/525i.? 545i's tailpipes are much larger and rounder!? Anyone notice this?

Those of us that have xenons have bi-xenons.? Meaning the highbeams/lowbeams are both xenons.? This is not stated on BMW's website nor any literature materials.? The lights next to the xenons are exclusively DRLs on my car as using the highbeams does not turn them on.? Are these used as highbeams on non-xenon cars?
[snapback]137506[/snapback]
The exhaust tips on my 545i are larger.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Contributors

I also noticed the prices are much different as well! I was so suprise to discover this!
Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rodybmw' date='Jun 9 2005, 12:55 AM
[quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:58 PM']In the picture you can see a bulb in the inner light. This lights up both when highbeam is on and when you flash. The outer one lights in the centre. I'm sure I have bi-xenon lights as the highbeam at night is phenomenal.

-If you PULL on the high beam lever only the inner halogen high beams turn on (for flashing). This happens regardless of whether the low beam Xenons are on or off.

-If you PUSH on the high beam lever AND the low beam Xenons are already on then the flaps inside the Xenons move and change the light pattern into a "high beam" pattern, however, the inside halogen lights stay off. I think I read in another post that in this scenario the European models have BOTH the Xenon high beams (outside) and the halogen high beam/flashers (inside) come on.
[snapback]137782[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are correct. When the high beams are one (PUSH position) the Xenon high beam is on and the inner halogen high beams come on too. Double the brightness
Old 06-10-2005, 12:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Jun 9 2005, 03:43 PM
You are correct.? When the high beams are one (PUSH position) the Xenon high beam is on and the inner halogen high beams come on too.? Double the brightness?
[snapback]138027[/snapback]

OK.....so there is a slight difference between the US and Euro versions. When I PUSH on the lever in my car only the Xenon high beams come on, but the halogen (inner high beams) stay off. The halogen inner high beams only come on when the lever is pulled.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
JMB
Members

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Jun 9 2005, 11:43 PM
[quote name='rodybmw' date='Jun 9 2005, 12:55 AM'][quote name='Merv the Derv' date='Jun 8 2005, 02:58 PM']In the picture you can see a bulb in the inner light. This lights up both when highbeam is on and when you flash. The outer one lights in the centre. I'm sure I have bi-xenon lights as the highbeam at night is phenomenal.

[snapback]137782[/snapback]
[/quote]

You are correct. When the high beams are one (PUSH position) the Xenon high beam is on and the inner halogen high beams come on too. Double the brightness
[snapback]138027[/snapback]
[/quote]

Right! this is the way it works in Spain. Flashing with xenon lights is forbidden because it's dangerous for other drivers, so carmakers disable this function and install halogen bulbs too for flashing.
If the car has xenon lights, auto-leveling and washing is also mandatory by law, for the same reason.

This is probably true for all EU countries.
In Spain we don't have DRL... A lot of sun!

Quick Reply: Anyone notice these things....