E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone know why the HUD went up in price??

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed that the HUD went up $200 in price, seems to be one of the only options to move up in price (don't quote me on that). Is this because there are some new added features to it? Well I have a 2008 due in about 3 weeks and I got Night Vision with Nav & Hud and I am really hoping Night Vision will be on the Hud...I doubt it but why else did they increase the price of that option?

Peace
Old 04-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rix Mix' post='409996' date='Apr 3 2007, 06:56 PM
I noticed that the HUD went up $200 in price, seems to be one of the only options to move up in price (don't quote me on that). Is this because there are some new added features to it? Well I have a 2008 due in about 3 weeks and I got Night Vision with Nav & Hud and I am really hoping Night Vision will be on the Hud...I doubt it but why else did they increase the price of that option?

Peace
To compensate no cost auto trans. , metallic color, Bluetooth, woodtrim and some other items
just kidding, Do not Know
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I can't explain the increase but I don't think there's any way you're going to see night vision in the HUD just yet.

I plan on ordering both NV and HUD too -- my hope is that they at least give me the gear indicator in the HUD for the extra money -- even though it'll only be a software update!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rix Mix' post='409996' date='Apr 4 2007, 12:56 AM
... why else did they increase the price of that option?
Because 200 bucks increase won't stop you buying it.

Easy money.

ABC
Old 04-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='410110' date='Apr 4 2007, 08:42 AM
Because 200 bucks increase won't stop you buying it.

Easy money.

ABC
Spot on... the do it differently in each countries; eg. here in the Cold North the HUD is still at 13.900 SEK (1500 Euros) but other things have gone up in price. Probably they have a discussion with both Munich and what they think the market can stand. As Audi is on to them, the price increase seems to be much lower these days. Who said competition isn't good?!?

Happy Easter everyone! (why isn't there a chicken/rabbit among the emoticons?!?)
Old 04-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='410058' date='Apr 4 2007, 05:37 AM
I can't explain the increase but I don't think there's any way you're going to see night vision in the HUD just yet.

I plan on ordering both NV and HUD too -- my hope is that they at least give me the gear indicator in the HUD for the extra money -- even though it'll only be a software update!
Any ideas about the future of HUD?
For example, phone-list or radio/CD details. Or even something more radical as a full size 16-9 TV-DVD screen for the front-passenger (assuming it cannot be seen by the driver ofcourse)?! I guess it comes down to the balance of added safety by still looking forward at the road and the disctractions that HUD could present. Certainly a concept with potential, especially with all the extra features being put into cars now a days. Anyone any thoughts or info about what's coming next...
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 1994 Mazda RX-7 2007 BMW 328xi 2008 BMW 550i (Sep 4 Munich delivery)

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='410131' date='Apr 4 2007, 05:20 AM
Any ideas about the future of HUD?
For example, phone-list or radio/CD details. Or even something more radical as a full size 16-9 TV-DVD screen for the front-passenger (assuming it cannot be seen by the driver ofcourse)?! I guess it comes down to the balance of added safety by still looking forward at the road and the disctractions that HUD could present. Certainly a concept with potential, especially with all the extra features being put into cars now a days. Anyone any thoughts or info about what's coming next...
I don't know what the future holds, but I've flown with a HUD for the last 17 years, nice to see more autos are making it available. I've only test driven a BMW with HUD (2007 530) once and was pleased with the utility it offered - at least 2 colors also I witnessed. The trunk lid was holding a dealer rubber plate holder and the car thought the trunk was ajar - so I saw that warning in the hud in yellow the entire test drive!

Here are my suggestions for BMW for future HUD enhancement:
1. Overlay Night Vision IR image on HUD. Technically this may be challenging, and probably more expensive than just adding HUD + NV costs individually - in the FA-18 the video signal type is different - so getting this will probably require added hardware (not just a s/w change), maybe increasing field of view of HUD too. Current NV implementation isn't perfect but the wide display in BMWs (w/NAV) provides very good left-right FOV.
2. Extend focal length of HUD beyond the front of car (current setting) - my gut sense tells me the focal length should be about 100-300 feet in front of car (not infinity like in FA-18) but further ahead than your front bumper. Will make the refocusing effort practically zero.
3. Make the tach / gear # a standard HUD feature for driver (selectably disabling this via iDrive HUD options) - think this is exclusive to M5 but should be available for all
4. Add incoming caller ID from phone to HUD (not initiated by driver, keeps eyes on road) -- maybe HUD already has it? Outgoing calls not as big a deal - driver initiates, should be able to scan the display screen or use voice command with audio confirmation as feedback.
5. Add ETA to destination when one exists
6. Add RTTI heads up in a yellow or red color (traffic jams / accidents ahead) with distance indication
7. Enable "Low Fuel" warning in yellow (unsure maybe a low fuel warning already incorporated?), range in miles, and automatically display nearby gas stations on the nav system.
8. Flash "DSC" or "Traction" or similar warning if DSC system senses impending loss of control or engagement of DSC to correct the situation
9. Flash "CRASH" or similar warning w/audible warning buzzer if Active Cruise control (radar sensors) system predicts impact with solid object ahead within 1-3 seconds.... but I'd worry about false alarms here.
10. Provide iDrive option under "HUD settings" to selectively enable or disable HUD indications for all optional or "nice to have" indicators... keeping mandatory speed /safety items displayed.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='410238' date='Apr 4 2007, 07:05 PM
Here are my suggestions for BMW for future HUD enhancement:

2. Extend focal length of HUD beyond the front of car (current setting) - my gut sense tells me the focal length should be about 100-300 feet in front of car (not infinity like in FA-18) but further ahead than your front bumper. Will make the refocusing effort practically zero.

10. Provide iDrive option under "HUD settings" to selectively enable or disable HUD indications for all optional or "nice to have" indicators... keeping mandatory speed /safety items displayed.
I agree with a lot of the ideas you mentioned and picked out the two above. I think HUD setting in the iDrive would be a real positive next step. It should also include some kind of setting for the focal length, so that you can set it to your driving, e.g. in city or on the motorway - i.e. were your focus typically is. This would be a real value add for improved safety. Not sure about how much info should be made availabe at one time though - could become a little too distracting otherwise. Maybe the couple of mandatory items you suggested and up to 4 further options? BMW may choose to offer a more expensive "HUD Advanced" version with extra features... for extra money of course!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 1994_RX-7_Tour' post='410238' date='Apr 4 2007, 01:05 PM
That is a current feature. Not sure re the latter part however but you can enable/disable what is displayed.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rix Mix' post='409996' date='Apr 3 2007, 04:56 PM

Peace
BMWNA decided to provide some additional margin for themselves and the dealers, $190 instead of $90 difference between MSRP and wholesale.