E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone know if theres a way to copy key fob info to another key?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 535i xDrive AW/Black M-kit

ive used one key since i got my car in 08. it seems the remote distance is literally about 3 ft from the car now where it used to be 5 times that back then. the other key fob i have still works at a far distance. i guess they just crap out after a while? well anyway i was wondering if there was a way to copy the info from one key to the other somehow. the dealership said they couldnt (i figured they might with the fob readers). i also tried putting one key in, starting the car, shut it off, pulled the key out and quickly restarting with out the key (cool feature) then once the car was started with no fob in place i put the spare fob in and drove around for the day hoping it would save the settings. but as soon as i shut the car and restart with the spare key all the settings switch to to whats on the key rather then save from the previous ride. in short, nothing i have tried worked. im trying to copy the my fob to the spare without manually going in and resetting all the seat settings, radio stations, mirrors ect... call me lazy if you will but it seems there should be a way to do it. problem is i dont understand how the fob system works, when it saves data to be exact... i would assume it would save info when you pull the key out or periodically while driving.

can anyone chime in?
Old 11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

You cant really copy from one key to another but you can save all your settings in your car from the car to your key via the memory botton or the Idrive depends on your make and model!
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by syrousd
You cant really copy from one key to another but you can save all your settings in your car from the car to your key via the memory botton or the Idrive depends on your make and model!
hum so maybe if i pull the ol switcharoo with the keys as i described before and figure out how to save it that may work. thanks
ill check out the manual to see how my car is set up.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530d M Sport Automatic, Le Mans Edition.Le Mans Blue Individual Paint Special, Syrah Blue Individual Leather, Piano Black Individual Interior Trim, Front seat heating,M Double Spoke 172 19

Was your car new in 2008?If so,you either have the remote control with an internal battery which is charged inductively,or you have the comfort access remote control which has an internal battery which can be replaced.If you have the former and the battery is failing you have to buy a replacement remote from the dealer and they are expensive (the battery cannot be changed).If you have the latter,change the battery.Obviously,3 feet range suggests a bad battery.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

The fobs are made for two different drivers. Once the fob remembers the settings for one driver the settings stay for that driver. You can set the other fob to those exact settings for driver two in the memory of the car. The memory 1 and 2 represents the driver and their fob. All car data is saved to each fob automatically. There is a website that will change the batteries out for you and the buttons if needed. You can search it on ebay or click the link. I had both my keys done at a reasonable price. I hope this helped.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tooltec
Was your car new in 2008?If so,you either have the remote control with an internal battery which is charged inductively,or you have the comfort access remote control which has an internal battery which can be replaced.If you have the former and the battery is failing you have to buy a replacement remote from the dealer and they are expensive (the battery cannot be changed).If you have the latter,change the battery.Obviously,3 feet range suggests a bad battery.
Thanks for the info. my car is 06/07 production without CA im pretty sure my key doesnt have the replaceable battery. i still have the other key from when i bought the car so thats y i want to switch. if i didnt have a spare, for the price of that key, id just lock the door from 3 ft away hahah
Old 11-02-2011, 10:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Isn't there still a battery inside your key fob that recharges while the fob is engaged in the car? I thought I heard this somewhere. Perhaps this internal battery is weak and maybe it can be replaced? Just a thought...
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Isn't there still a battery inside your key fob that recharges while the fob is engaged in the car? I thought I heard this somewhere. Perhaps this internal battery is weak and maybe it can be replaced? Just a thought...
Im not sure if theres a way to open the fob without breaking it. im sure i could take a hammer to it haha
Old 11-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 BMW 530I

Originally Posted by joebaggg
Im not sure if theres a way to open the fob without breaking it. im sure i could take a hammer to it haha
There is a way. Read my post above.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by seanjordan
There is a way. Read my post above.
Oh nice tks. Sorry I'm on my cell I must have overlooked it.