E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone having rough upshifts?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a fairly exhaustive list of my transmission issues. Curious to see how many of you have most or all of these:

- 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts are quite rough on my automatic. I've done the DIY tranny reset which helped for a while but it's back.
- I have the 2-1 clunk even after the software update (though it's slightly better).
- I've also noticed that when I'm driving in D, many times when I let go of the gas I feel a very noticeable thud. It's similar to the sensation that you get when driving in 2nd or 3rd on a manual and taking your foot of the gas. Normal for a stick but I dont think so for an automatic.
- Sometimes, after 30-45 minutes of driving in D, if I stop and put the transmission in R I get a really strong jerk/clunk sensation. (I noticed this in my old 330i too).
- When in D and full stop, if I let go of the brake once I in a while there's some slight jerking sensation as if something in the transmission is slipping.

Not all of these happen all the time, but these are characteristics I noticed semi-frequently.

Anyone have these issues? I wonder if changing the motronic will help? I've heard of people getting that changed.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by bay550i' post='993494' date='Aug 30 2009, 10:46 PM
Here is a fairly exhaustive list of my transmission issues. Curious to see how many of you have most or all of these:

- 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts are quite rough on my automatic. I've done the DIY tranny reset which helped for a while but it's back.
- I have the 2-1 clunk even after the software update (though it's slightly better).
- I've also noticed that when I'm driving in D, many times when I let go of the gas I feel a very noticeable thud. It's similar to the sensation that you get when driving in 2nd or 3rd on a manual and taking your foot of the gas. Normal for a stick but I dont think so for an automatic.
- Sometimes, after 30-45 minutes of driving in D, if I stop and put the transmission in R I get a really strong jerk/clunk sensation. (I noticed this in my old 330i too).
- When in D and full stop, if I let go of the brake once I in a while there's some slight jerking sensation as if something in the transmission is slipping.

Not all of these happen all the time, but these are characteristics I noticed semi-frequently.

Anyone have these issues? I wonder if changing the motronic will help? I've heard of people getting that changed.
+1 on noticeable thud and after driving for awhile, I stop and reverse, there's a strong jerk/clunk sensation. Help, anyone?
Old 08-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Frank5er' post='993577' date='Aug 30 2009, 11:07 PM
+1 on noticeable thud and after driving for awhile, I stop and reverse, there's a strong jerk/clunk sensation. Help, anyone?
This sort of stuff is taking the enjoyment out of the car for me. BTW, love your car.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by bay550i' post='993494' date='Aug 31 2009, 11:46 AM

This sounds like same as my car which I fixed last year
What I did was to change the gearbox oil and filter.
I know BMW say that you will never have to change the oil and filter but when I change my the oil was becoming black and loads of metal stuck on the magnet.
here are some photos of my parts that I have change
I change my oil about 48000km
Attached Thumbnails Anyone having rough upshifts?-001_tray.jpg   Anyone having rough upshifts?-004_gearbox_zf_oil.jpg   Anyone having rough upshifts?-003_gearbox_zf_oil.jpg  
Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM
Senior Members

I had it. The dealer reprogrammed the ECU and all is well now.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:21 AM
Members

Mine suffers from pretty much all of the above as well. You need a new transmission (as do I). Good luck convincing your dealer to open the PUMA case to have it replaced. I'm going on 5 trips with no resolution, make alot of polite noise and some folks have had good luck getting the transmission replaced.

If you do a search for transmission slam you'll find alot of info here on the forums.

-Shane
Old 08-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by sakserv' post='993694' date='Aug 31 2009, 09:21 AM
Mine suffers from pretty much all of the above as well. You need a new transmission (as do I). Good luck convincing your dealer to open the PUMA case to have it replaced. I'm going on 5 trips with no resolution, make alot of polite noise and some folks have had good luck getting the transmission replaced.

If you do a search for transmission slam you'll find alot of info here on the forums.

-Shane
I had the same issues and my great dealer replaced the tranny after trying the reset first. Shifting has been velvety smooth since then. I occasionaly wonder if a fluid change would have taken care of it. I plan to replace the fluid in two years and every two years after that.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it sounds like a mounting issue-maybe the tranny mounts and pieces that keep it in place are loose/broken or improperly placed causing the thuds you speak of under load.

My engine felt that way when my engine mounts were bad
Old 08-31-2009, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by bay550i' post='993584' date='Aug 31 2009, 01:19 AM
This sort of stuff is taking the enjoyment out of the car for me. BTW, love your car.
Thanks, bro! Sounds like we'll be making a trip to the stealership..hopefully they'll replace our tranny. Thanks all!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Sports, Premium and dynamic packages

I've had the same problem with my 545i and took it to the dealer a couple of time...make sure you can duplicate the problem and ask for the shop foreman so he can ride with you and duplicate the problem/s. They will open up a PUMA case and replace whatever necessary. In my case, once they replaced the tranny mechatronics all problems went away!

I will look for the link with all the info and post later.

Quick Reply: Anyone having rough upshifts?