E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone had this happen? Computer holds back power..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='322952' date='Aug 15 2006, 02:36 PM
By M mode I assume he means Manual. Wavehogger indicates that he does have steptronic transmission, so he could have been in M1 or M2 and hit the red line... I know with my steptronic I can drive in D, DS or use the manual shift option (M1, M2...)
Of course, you must be right. I was asleep. Thank you for waking me. With my Step, it is impossible to hit the rev limiter when in M-mode except using the technique I mentioned. When I floor my car, the Step will not allow me to shift manually after, for example, 6k RPM (not sure what the acutal cutoff is, and if may vary depending on ....). I think all Steps work the same way.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='322977' date='Aug 15 2006, 06:22 PM
Of course, you must be right. I was asleep. Thank you for waking me. With my Step, it is impossible to hit the rev limiter when in M-mode except using the technique I mentioned. When I floor my car, the Step will not allow me to shift manually after, for example, 6k RPM (not sure what the acutal cutoff is, and if may vary depending on ....). I think all Steps work the same way.

Hey guys, Just to let you know, I wasn't hitting the rev limiter when this strange thing was happening to my car. It actually happened right after it shifted into 2nd gear.. Just after it shifts it decides to hold up on the full throttle for a few seconds.. I don't know what would have happened if I kept it floored because it freaked me out and I let off. Then when I floored it again right away it was fine...

Znod, I tried your little method of holding the shifter forward while in a gear and it will hold it in that gear making it hit the rev limiter at like 6900 rpm. Nice find.. And it doesn't shift until you let the shifter go back to the middle, so as nifty as that is, you have to be careful, because once you hit that rev limiter it pretty much screws up your accelleration. But if you are really quick, and I manged to do it myself, you can get a little higher rpm before the car normally wants to shift in either D or DS mode at like 6700 rpm. But all it takes is a 1/2 sec too long of holding it forward and your blippinig the limiter.. Oh and I seem to be able to manually get the car to shift any time I want, even over 6k rpm, while it's floored. In M mode I pretty much have control of the shift points nicely.

Thanks everyone for trying to figure this out. The dealer never heard of it but said he'd look into it with BMW. Of course I can't get it to happen when I'm alone or have one person with me. And it happened once when I first got the car, though I passed it off has driver error then, but now know it wasn't, and then twice last night.. I guess it's possessed..
Old 08-15-2006, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by wavehogger' post='323047' date='Aug 15 2006, 07:44 PM
Znod, I tried your little method of holding the shifter forward while in a gear and it will hold it in that gear making it hit the rev limiter at like 6900 rpm. Nice find.. And it doesn't shift until you let the shifter go back to the middle, so as nifty as that is, you have to be careful, because once you hit that rev limiter it pretty much screws up your accelleration. But if you are really quick, and I manged to do it myself, you can get a little higher rpm before the car normally wants to shift in either D or DS mode at like 6700 rpm. But all it takes is a 1/2 sec too long of holding it forward and your blippinig the limiter.. Oh and I seem to be able to manually get the car to shift any time I want, even over 6k rpm, while it's floored. In M mode I pretty much have control of the shift points nicely.
What you describe doesn't work for me and many (most?) others. Once floored, my Step will not let me shift manually after, for example, 6k RPM. Bummer. BBB (i.e., BMW Blunder).
Old 08-16-2006, 04:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='323050' date='Aug 15 2006, 11:07 PM
What you describe doesn't work for me and many (most?) others. Once floored, my Step will not let me shift manually after, for example, 6k RPM. Bummer. BBB (i.e., BMW Blunder).

I wouldn't have thought there would be so much difference in the driving dynamics between your 545 and the 550. Especially how you can't turn off the DSC/DTC totally. That's ridiculous.. But what I don't want to do is update my CIP and have worse things happen.. Gulp Is there even an update for a 2007 550?