E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone had this happen? Computer holds back power..

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 05:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The car was totally warmed up, a full tank of gas, DSC totally disabled, dry road, three people in the car. I was getting onto the highway and started off in Manual mode 1st gear. Slight incline, straight smooth road. All the power was there as I shifted into 2nd and then all of a sudden the car held back some power on me. I just let off the gas and drove easily and it was normal. But it felt like DSC when it activates if your accellerating fast and it slips a bit.. So after the first time it did it I thought maybe I had done something weird and ignored it.. But then on the return trip home the same thing happened again.. And all I can say is it was also going uphill a little bit.. Is there some sensor in the car that detects the g-force pushing the rear end of the car down in the back? So that if it's too low it lets off the throttle.. Because I've driven these routes before with two people, (not sure how much gas I had) but it never happened then. But with three people it did.. It sort of bugs me that I don't have all my power when I want it.. Damm technology!
Old 08-15-2006, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

I agree about the damn technology point. I see no reason for what happened to have happened. I do know that on my car it is impossible to turn DSC and DTC completely off. That would be OK in the case of an SOS situation, but never is OK for plain old straight-line acceleration. You could take the car in and demo to your dealer. Maybe there is a fixable problem. Also, try disabling DTC and see what happens. Just push and hold the DTC button until the triangles show up in the instrument cluster area. Unless we have wet weather or I am on a high-speed road, I always drive with both DSC and DTC off trying to keep the nannies out of my life as much as possible.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='322791' date='Aug 15 2006, 10:23 AM
I agree about the damn technology point. I see no reason for what happened to have happened. I do know that on my car it is impossible to turn DSC and DTC completely off. That would be OK in the case of an SOS situation, but never is OK for plain old straight-line acceleration. You could take the car in and demo to your dealer. Maybe there is a fixable problem. Also, try disabling DTC and see what happens. Just push and hold the DTC button until the triangles show up in the instrument cluster area. Unless we have wet weather or I am on a high-speed road, I always drive with both DSC and DTC off trying to keep the nannies out of my life as much as possible.

Hey Znod, yeah I wasn't clear but both DSC and DTC were off completely. And usually in this mode in my car the computer never interferes.. and I have tested this out fully if you get my drift.. so I don't know what is going on.. but getting the dealer to understand this is not going to be easy..
Old 08-15-2006, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Yes, I never got anywhere with my dealer on the issue--except that my dealer tried by opening a PUMA case. The answer ffrom BMW engineers was "it's the software, and unless a future update changes something, then there is nothing that can be done." But, with luck, you have a mechanical problem that can be dealt with effectively (I doubt it though). My problem began after updating to 20.01.00.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

This probably a useless contribution, but as I recall some time ago, there was a discussion about some case when the car was on an incline that the software would kick in to assist in some form or fashion. Don't recall the details though, try a search. The key is the incline as opposed to level ground.

But I agree, when de-activated and in straight-line acceleration, the computer should not kick in like that.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Contributors

On the up side of inclines, some cars apply the brakes to prevent roll back when stopped. But, that is all I recall.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='322809' date='Aug 15 2006, 10:13 AM
On the up side of inclines, some cars apply the brakes to prevent roll back when stopped. But, that is all I recall.
That's probably what I had in tha back of my head. Told you it was a useless contribution!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

I can't remember how intrusive the M mode is on the step but were you close to redline? Could it have been hitting the rev limiter?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='322878' date='Aug 15 2006, 11:22 AM
I can't remember how intrusive the M mode is on the step but were you close to redline? Could it have been hitting the rev limiter?
I don't think he has an M-mode; I don't. Presumably, he has D and DS modes. But regardless, there is a small chance he hit the rev limiter. I could not do it before my crummy software upgrade. But, now, if I accelerate modestly in, for example, second, then the Step holds the gear, unlike what it used to do, and actually allows me to hit the rev limiter.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='322905' date='Aug 15 2006, 03:19 PM
I don't think he has an M-mode; I don't. Presumably, he has D and DS modes. But regardless, there is a small chance he hit the rev limiter. I could not do it before my crummy software upgrade. But, now, if I accelerate modestly in, for example, second, then the Step holds the gear, unlike what it used to do, and actually allows me to hit the rev limiter.
By M mode I assume he means Manual. Wavehogger indicates that he does have steptronic transmission, so he could have been in M1 or M2 and hit the red line... I know with my steptronic I can drive in D, DS or use the manual shift option (M1, M2...)

Quick Reply: Anyone had this happen? Computer holds back power..