E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone ever lost ALL 4 nuts off the exhaust/manifold flange connection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default Anyone ever lost ALL 4 nuts off the exhaust/manifold flange connection?

I have........the N62 545 got some exhaust noise increase when driving thru big puddles or heavy slushy snow and it always went back to normal after a minute or so, never could figure out why, until the other day when noise stayed.
Before when I was under the car just assumed the exhaust flange connection was threaded as to why no nuts were present and all was tight and unmovable when I tried but not yesterday when I placed a crow bar between the flange and could move the connection so according to my Bentley manual I need four M8 collar nuts there....
Part 18307532769, item 7 of the muffler diagram, easy enough fix.... but all four falling off due to vibration or some mechanic forgot to put them back with PO of this car?

While perusing my Bentley manual looking for the torque values noticed that for the I6 it's only 15 and for my V8 it's 33ft/lbs and the value chart with the 15 is on the page where the V8 instructions are so maybe they were only set at 15 instead of 33 and that's why they walked off...
Attached Thumbnails Anyone ever lost ALL 4 nuts off the exhaust/manifold flange connection?-img_6897.png  
Old 04-01-2017, 04:26 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

I also noticed a couple of my exhaust bolts missing when i replaced my starter. 07 550i, it luckily still had enough bolts left to keep it together lol Mine intersesting enough was in the same location, #7