E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anyone else have a high pitched "whine"

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like wind noise coming through the passeger side of the upper windshield area. It happens usually somewhere between 80 and 90 mph and it doesn't sound right at all. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. I did a search and didn't see this discussed.

Anyone else have this problem? Is there a fix?
Old 07-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Yup a couple people... mira aqui... (see here)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?show...12227&hl=noise

and be sure to follow the links I provide in that thread too.
Old 07-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

I get a high pitched whine coming from the passenger seat at about 90 MPH, too, but it's my wife
Old 07-03-2005, 06:25 PM
Senior Members

then i definitely got that everyday...even at 70-80 mph .
Old 07-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Senior Members

I had strange high pitch noise before. I was pretty sure it came from the front dash, somewhere; but couldn't ascertain the source as it was quite intermittent, rather speed related I thought.

I was very surprised when the senior tech told me that the noise came from the buttons on the steering!!

A quick test drive proved him right! I was totally dumbfounded. The buttons and their housing were changed and hey, the high-pitch noise is gone .........

but ......

now I have other creaks coming up
Old 07-03-2005, 11:04 PM
MEX
Senior Members

i have them both, the whine at high speeds coming from the windshield and the steering wheel buttons rattle.

I have some posts about this if you are interested.

the rattle is gone, they replaced the buttons with new ones, the whine is still there (my service manager wont ride with me at high speeds and he has no news about this).

tnx
Old 07-04-2005, 02:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Ha, this is a common thread. Happened to me !!! The one and only solution cover by warranty also is REPLACE the WINSHIELD.
Old 07-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Members

Thank you guys very much for the info.
Old 07-04-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributors

I had my windsheild replace for the second time for this problem. My SA suggested a test to determine if infact the noise is coming from the windshield and not somewhere else.

If you push on the windshild while it is squealing (or have somebody else do it since at 135 mph it may be better to keep your hands on the wheel) the tone of the noise will change if it is a windshield problem.

We did this test with my car and it did change pitch when pushing on the windshield - so it was replace again - problem solved ...... again.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

I have noticed a very very feint mid pitched hum when travelling on very smooth highways @ between 133 & 135 km/h.

lt seems to come from the rear wheels but what bugs me is that it is not continuous, but seems to oscillate!?

It really is very difficult to hear unless you pay very close attention & strangely only occurs between these speeds.

The ride is perfectly smooth, so it is not a balance or alignment problem.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have a high pitched "whine"