E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

anyone done engine swaps yet? just cerious

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Default anyone done engine swaps yet? just cerious

so i had a build 600hp surpa single turbo 2jzgte 6speed but wrecked it and stored the engine and tranny/all electrical and fuel and what not to start it even with out it in car. as i was sitting in my garage the other morning drinking coffee I looked at the engine set and starting have crazy idea's if it being in my replica m5 530i.

I'm pretty advance with the 2jz engines as it's all I worked on before I had a bmw.

stuff I think that would not be a problem:
-custom engine mounts
-custom lines for ac/powersteering
-run a stackk gauge cluster to bypass even trying to wire in the stock cluster
-custom drive shaft
- get a custom shifter housing for the trans to fit at the same oem spot as a manual 5series manual shifter would.
-cut a hole tranny tunnel for the shifter to come though

I can start this engine with 2 grounds and like 2 power wires.

now what i don't know and have Q'S ABOUT
1 will any of my interior electrics still work?
2 will my ac/climate controller work even if i make custom lines to a 2jz ac compressor and rout all the custom heater/coolent hoses?
3 will my windows work?
4 will my lights and turn singles still work?

ill ditch the idrive screen and turn that sucker into a carpc or something.

what got me thinking about this engine swap?

with like $1k more or less i can turn this engine into a healthy 800hp daily driver.

with all the crazy car projects I have/been through i really can care less about "CA emissions" ill figure that out the same way i do every 2 years.

I'm pretty sure a highway patrol will not ask me to pop my hood like other ricer cars on the road.

no bashing just a random idea i wanted to share. I'm not looking forward to seeing and comments like " sell it and buy a m5"

i paid for this car out the dealer brand new in 05 and it is now worth almost nothing. I think the 2jzgte tranny engine set has a better chance holding its value than this 05 530i lol

Last edited by djkevin510; 12-29-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530xi M5tech body kit/rpi exhaust/Orion V4's

Originally Posted by djkevin510
so i had a build 600hp surpa single turbo 2jzgte 6speed but wrecked it and stored the engine and tranny/all electrical and fuel and what not to start it even with out it in car. as i was sitting in my garage the other morning drinking coffee I looked at the engine set and starting have crazy idea's if it being in my replica m5 530i.

I'm pretty advance with the 2jz engines as it's all I worked on before I had a bmw.

stuff I think that would not be a problem:
-custom engine mounts
-custom lines for ac/powersteering
-run a stackk gauge cluster to bypass even trying to wire in the stock cluster
-custom drive shaft
- get a custom shifter housing for the trans to fit at the same oem spot as a manual 5series manual shifter would.
-cut a hole tranny tunnel for the shifter to come though

I can start this engine with 2 grounds and like 2 power wires.

now what i don't know and have Q'S ABOUT
1 will any of my interior electrics still work?
2 will my ac/climate controller work even if i make custom lines to a 2jz ac compressor and rout all the custom heater/coolent hoses?
3 will my windows work?
4 will my lights and turn singles still work?

ill ditch the idrive screen and turn that sucker into a carpc or something.

what got me thinking about this engine swap?

with like $1k more or less i can turn this engine into a healthy 800hp daily driver.

with all the crazy car projects I have/been through i really can care less about "CA emissions" ill figure that out the same way i do every 2 years.

I'm pretty sure a highway patrol will not ask me to pop my hood like other ricer cars on the road.

no bashing just a random idea i wanted to share. I'm not looking forward to seeing and comments like " sell it and buy a m5"

i paid for this car out the dealer brand new in 05 and it is now worth almost nothing. I think the 2jzgte tranny engine set has a better chance holding its value than this 05 530i lol
That would be pretty wild if it works. Good luck on the project if you end up doing it
Old 12-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I love motor swaps. And the 2jz is a solid BEAST. This sounds like a really cool idea, but probably pretty expensive and time consuming to make happen. The good thing is you already have most of the components you need, car, engine/power-train etc..

-also, you could sell your N52

I would love to hear more about this project if you continue! Good Luck!