E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Anybody know how to remove front seat back panel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lumbar support is really bugging me as it seems that it won't fully deflate. I want to look at the innards and maybe just put some extra cushing inside. I can't seem to remove the back panel covers though. Can anyone help?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Originally Posted by roundrockmoe
My lumbar support is really bugging me as it seems that it won't fully deflate. I want to look at the innards and maybe just put some extra cushing inside. I can't seem to remove the back panel covers though. Can anyone help?
I dont but i need to know how to do this as I need to get to the seat frame as the drivers seat is making a clikc noise if you lean or push it on one side, it seems like a spring has come loose or the frame is damaged so if anyone knows how to remove the seat back panel or even take out the whole seat that would be great.

My seat is a full electric base, but does not have airbags.

Is it advisable to disconnect the battery prior to doing the seat removal as it will prevent all the seatbelt restaint / airbag errors? Anyone got any experience of doing this?
Old 05-09-2011, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by nevrev73
I don't but i need to know how to do this as I need to get to the seat frame as the drivers seat is making a clikc noise if you lean or push it on one side, it seems like a spring has come loose or the frame is damaged so if anyone knows how to remove the seat back panel or even take out the whole seat that would be great.

My seat is a full electric base, but does not have airbags.

Is it advisable to disconnect the battery prior to doing the seat removal as it will prevent all the seatbelt restaint / airbag errors? Anyone got any experience of doing this?
I know the exact problem. I have fixed in on three different E60s and you don't need to remove the seat back. The noise is actually coming from the plastic cover area on the side near the hinge and "clicks" when you turn, stop-go, etc.

Purchase some felt type materal from a fabric store or Wal-Mart. Remove the plastic cover - the same one that covers the hinge and the switches. Stuff some felt inside the plastic cover.

My SA had this done on my first 2 E60s and I did it myself on the third. No more 'clicks" and cost about $1.00 in felt.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Members

I found out how to do it. It's not too bad if you remember that you must touch the clip on one side and bang the other. Here is a link to the instructions in case others have this problem.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/07/20/29

Turns out that the lumbar is indeed fully deflating. The problem is there's a large support spring right in the lumbar area that is just too tight on mine. It has no give and pokes me in the back even when the lumbar is fully deflated. I thought about cutting it but decided to just pull it back with tie wraps. Much better for me now.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 530d M sport

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
I know the exact problem. I have fixed in on three different E60s and you don't need to remove the seat back. The noise is actually coming from the plastic cover area on the side near the hinge and "clicks" when you turn, stop-go, etc.

Purchase some felt type materal from a fabric store or Wal-Mart. Remove the plastic cover - the same one that covers the hinge and the switches. Stuff some felt inside the plastic cover.

My SA had this done on my first 2 E60s and I did it myself on the third. No more 'clicks" and cost about $1.00 in felt.

Hi,

My problem is not the lower part of the seta but the upper part which would effectively be behind your left shoulder (RHD driver car) It makes a click if you put pressure on it and is probably a fifth of the way from the top of the seta down.

I thought it was something to do with the headrest but it doesnt seem the case. It seems to be a frame problem.

I presume the problem that you are one about is a lower seat problem that occurs near the switches and the hinge. Mine is actually on the main part near the top and headrests
Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 AM
New Members

I have the same clicking sound in the back part of my driver's seat. It's minor and I have not mentioned it to my SA but any insight or recommended fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.