E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

anybody else pissed at New 4.8 L update to 545

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by ///M Rakete' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:07 PM
When you consider that BMW themselves ran a commercial extolling the fact that most drivers only use a fraction of a car's capability then "excessive", especially for the top of the series, is not inappropriate.
[snapback]74249[/snapback]
Maybe it was referring to the M5 when they said "5 series"

http://www.e60.net/information/commercials/averages.mpg
Old 12-31-2004, 05:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' date='Dec 31 2004, 08:15 PM
[quote name='///M Rakete' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:07 PM']When you consider that BMW themselves ran a commercial extolling the fact that most drivers only use a fraction of a car's capability then "excessive", especially for the top of the series, is not inappropriate.
[snapback]74249[/snapback]
Maybe it was referring to the M5 when they said "5 series"

http://www.e60.net/information/commercials/averages.mpg
[snapback]74257[/snapback]
[/quote]
It also says the "average driver" in each instance. Like I said before its all a matter of your perspective. If the 545 is the fastest thing you ever drove it will limit your perspective.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:29 PM
Members

My Ride: E90 330i Sport & E46 323Ci

Originally Posted by wolverine' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:03 PM
[quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 31 2004, 01:56 PM']I think if this is all true, the 5 will get it asap. Car manufactures use Just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing, as such there is never an inventory of anything.
BMW is responding to Mercedes Benz's horsepower assault in every category. "Business as usual" is not in order here. We buy BMW's because they are supposed to be more sporting and now they have been behind the curve for a few years. They can only compete with higher HP or much lighter weight. I've had two MB's and three BMW's and I made the switch to BMW solely because of the sporting superiority.
The 545's power is adequate but for $70K it should be excessive, my brothers Subaru is virtually as fast.
[snapback]74180[/snapback]
'

I absolutely disagree. There really is no good reason to put an upgraded engine into the 545 in the next two years. The 545 is selling incredibly well, significantly better than the previous 540. Why would BMW put a heavier, more expensive engine into a car that is probably exceeding all sales expectations? The only reasons I can think of is if there is a need in the market to increase the HP, or they can do it for a minimal cost.

No one I know of has complained about the power in the 545. I don't think increasing the HP will significantly increase sales.

The cost of the 4.8 will be more than the 4.4. To make business sense, they would either have to charge more to make the same profit, or they would decrease their profit margin, and sell a higher volume of cars. Remember, the 'upgraded' 540 engine was the same engine with some minor modifications. This 4.8 liter is a new engine. The only way they will put this engine into the 540 is if it can be done for a minimal cost increase, and they can justify a higher price.

If they do upgrade to the 4.8, I think it will be with a new model designation, such as 550, and certainly not within the next two model years.
[snapback]74225[/snapback]
[/quote]

There is one thing you guys are overlooking a little bit, and that is that Mercedes is REALLY on the offensive in the engine department these days...

We know the next S-Class is due next Fall with new 4-Valve V8 engines, which is obviously the reason for BMW's hp increase in the facelifted E65:
If they don't give it a hp increase, they will lose sales to MB's S-Class

Though BMW's current V8 is pretty powerful, if MB continues to close the gap as fairly quickly as they have been and moves ahead with new V8 engines in BOTH the CLS and the E Class, then there is no reason to think that BMW wouldn't use a new V8 in the E60 as well...possibly as soon as Spring of '06 for the '07 model year.

R.R.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:05 AM
Members

Originally Posted by RichReg' date='Jan 1 2005, 04:29 AM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Dec 31 2004, 05:03 PM'][quote name='pennetta' date='Dec 31 2004, 01:56 PM']I think if this is all true, the 5 will get it asap. Car manufactures use Just-in-time (JIT) manufacturing, as such there is never an inventory of anything.
BMW is responding to Mercedes Benz's horsepower assault in every category. "Business as usual" is not in order here. We buy BMW's because they are supposed to be more sporting and now they have been behind the curve for a few years. They can only compete with higher HP or much lighter weight. I've had two MB's and three BMW's and I made the switch to BMW solely because of the sporting superiority.
The 545's power is adequate but for $70K it should be excessive, my brothers Subaru is virtually as fast.
[snapback]74180[/snapback]
'

I absolutely disagree. There really is no good reason to put an upgraded engine into the 545 in the next two years. The 545 is selling incredibly well, significantly better than the previous 540. Why would BMW put a heavier, more expensive engine into a car that is probably exceeding all sales expectations? The only reasons I can think of is if there is a need in the market to increase the HP, or they can do it for a minimal cost.

No one I know of has complained about the power in the 545. I don't think increasing the HP will significantly increase sales.

The cost of the 4.8 will be more than the 4.4. To make business sense, they would either have to charge more to make the same profit, or they would decrease their profit margin, and sell a higher volume of cars. Remember, the 'upgraded' 540 engine was the same engine with some minor modifications. This 4.8 liter is a new engine. The only way they will put this engine into the 540 is if it can be done for a minimal cost increase, and they can justify a higher price.

If they do upgrade to the 4.8, I think it will be with a new model designation, such as 550, and certainly not within the next two model years.
[snapback]74225[/snapback]
[/quote]

There is one thing you guys are overlooking a little bit, and that is that Mercedes is REALLY on the offensive in the engine department these days...

We know the next S-Class is due next Fall with new 4-Valve V8 engines, which is obviously the reason for BMW's hp increase in the facelifted E65:
If they don't give it a hp increase, they will lose sales to MB's S-Class

Though BMW's current V8 is pretty powerful, if MB continues to close the gap as fairly quickly as they have been and moves ahead with new V8 engines in BOTH the CLS and the E Class, then there is no reason to think that BMW wouldn't use a new V8 in the E60 as well...possibly as soon as Spring of '06 for the '07 model year.

R.R.
[snapback]74274[/snapback]
[/quote]

Mercedes is gonna have in the new S-Class much tecnology where BMW only can dream off
Old 01-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by BMW RULES' date='Jan 1 2005, 05:05 AM
Mercedes is gonna have in the new S-Class much tecnology where BMW only can dream off
[snapback]74319[/snapback]

Uh O... cant wait to see!