E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any way to "self-initialize" the steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 04:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

I've read about ways that one can initialize the windows so that they know the limits of their travel for purposes of the anti-trap feature.

Is there a similar procedure to initialize the steering wheel so that it knows where the "top" of its travel is? My wheel continually _dips_ when I take the key out of the ignition. I think that it thinks the "top" is lower than I keep it.

It's certainly not inconveniencing enough to make a special trip to the dealer, but if I could do it myself, that would be a huge bonus.

-MrB
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrbelk' date='Mar 10 2005, 01:03 PM
I've read about ways that one can initialize the windows so that they know the limits of their travel for purposes of the anti-trap feature.

Is there a similar procedure to initialize the steering wheel so that it knows where the "top" of its travel is?? My wheel continually _dips_ when I take the key out of the ignition.? I think that it thinks the "top" is lower than I keep it.

It's certainly not inconveniencing enough to make a special trip to the dealer, but if I could do it myself, that would be a huge bonus.
When I first purchased my car the steering wheel used to lift when the ignition was removed... I always presumed this was to aid exiting the vehicle. However, since the s/w was updated its been rock-solid! There was some known gremlins with the position memory.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Mar 10 2005, 05:20 AM
[quote name='mrbelk' date='Mar 10 2005, 01:03 PM']I've read about ways that one can initialize the windows so that they know the limits of their travel for purposes of the anti-trap feature.

Is there a similar procedure to initialize the steering wheel so that it knows where the "top" of its travel is?? My wheel continually _dips_ when I take the key out of the ignition.? I think that it thinks the "top" is lower than I keep it.

When I first purchased my car the steering wheel used to lift when the ignition was removed... I always presumed this was to aid exiting the vehicle. However, since the s/w was updated its been rock-solid! There was some known gremlins with the position memory.
[snapback]99524[/snapback]
[/quote]

Can't be sure if it's the SW update but you might want to check your seat memory settings in the screen below.
Any way to "self-initialize" the steering wheel?-2004manual_5series_page_030_image_0001.jpg
The steering wheel may be setting itself to a higher position than you have set with set memory as soon as you unloock the car because it is rembering the last seat position.
It can't go higher.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

MrBelk,

I think Hormazd is correct with what he is saying but just in case, here's something I whipped up for you to hopefully help you out. It's pretty much everything about the electric steering adjustment.

Pay particular attention to the bookmark entitled "Notes for service staff - general information" which is page 19 of the .pdf file. There is a mention of initialization there.

Good luck...

Master_SBT__Fully_electric_steering_column_adjustment_E60.pdf
Old 03-10-2005, 07:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i/6sp SilverGray/Beige

Thanks Rudy. It's a little bit of a help, but I don't see that I can really do anything about it. In practice, it looks like the wheel and central switch module isn't correctly registering limits.

Hormazd: My seats and mirrors remember where they were, but the "comfort access" of the steering wheel doesn't correctly remember the limits of travel, and so thinks that "top" is actually lower than the "real" top.

-MrB
Old 03-10-2005, 01:24 PM
Senior Members

mrbelk, I've had the same problems as my steering wheel seems to repeatedly end up lower and lower after months of use.

I know it isn't someone else adjusting it, since my wife nearly never drives the car.

So I keep tweeking the upward position further up after some period of time.....
Old 03-16-2005, 04:04 PM
Senior Members

Same problem in our car. The steering wheel actually drops so far down my legs are pinned underneath. Very dangerous in my opinion. Dealer is clueless on this point.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

My steering wheel does not always return to the correct position.

About every other day I must use the Seat Position Memory Button 1 to move my steering wheel to the position where I left it.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' date='Mar 16 2005, 06:21 PM
My steering wheel does not always return to the correct position.

About every other day I must use the Seat Position Memory Button 1 to move my steering wheel to the position where I left it.
[snapback]102541[/snapback]
Nor does mine. I even deactivated the last seat position in the door locks menu. No joy. I wish the wheel would rise whenever the door was open. I grab my mail from the box before driving into the garage. The engine is running and the wheel is still in the low position.