E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any solution to fix rough stop/start for 05 545i?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been struggling with very rough/jerky stop and start with my 05 545i.
I read thru all the topics regarding the issue. But I could not find a fix.
It looks like there are 2 issues related to the smooth stop and go for 545i.
1. Transmission slam
2. Jerky or abrupt stop/go related to brakes.

#1 may be relieved with the 25s gas pedal reset trick but mine is rather related to #2 because I feel the jerk at the end of stop or only at the beginning of go.
It is like I stop very roughly every time even though I tried to make every effort to do smooth stop. My body always feels a force to move forward due to the force of inertia coming from the abrupt stop. I checked with the dealership but they did not find anything wrong with rotors or pad. And they would not replace rotor or pad until it gets thin enough to meet BMW replacement criteria.

Has anyone experienced the same thing? Any fix for this?

Thank you.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

o MAN me too, its becoming pretty annoying now, i tried to brake it as smooth as possible but its inevitable. Maybe if you changed the whole brake to a different one like M5
Old 11-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Its not the easiest of cars to stop smoothly, the brakes seem so sensitive. I almost pull off the brake all together as it's coming to a stop to keep it smooth, the worst is in traffic. Even when ticking over the car has a lot of torque.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats
Cool

So the solution I have to this problem is unique but works like a charm on the AT transmission....

When you're coming to a stop - disengage your gear from D to N
Coast towards the light with gentle brake pressure
You will come to a SMOOTH as GLASS stop
Once stopped and you've got your foot on the brake - pop it back into D again

It takes a bit of work but after a while, this becomes second nature
I know this works well cos EVEN the wife noticed smooth stops the other day!
Old 11-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='721798' date='Nov 15 2008, 12:59 AM
So the solution I have to this problem is unique but works like a charm on the AT transmission....

When you're coming to a stop - disengage your gear from D to N
Coast towards the light with gentle brake pressure
You will come to a SMOOTH as GLASS stop
Once stopped and you've got your foot on the brake - pop it back into D again

It takes a bit of work but after a while, this becomes second nature
I know this works well cos EVEN the wife noticed smooth stops the other day!
I did that a few times and I agree it is really smooth, but I am pretty sure that is really bad for the tranny
Old 11-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Hey Krozi - don't quite understand why it should be bad for the tranny? You can disengage into N at any time [that's what Neutral is for]. You are not re-engaging into D when the vehicle is moving [hence, no real damage to the transmission].

I have had my car 73K miles now and have had no transmission issues despite doing this for the past 3 years now......
Old 11-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Members

So I guess it's not just my car

This has been bothering me lately, mainly because the comparisons I started doing to other cars. All the other cars I've driven lately, whether a family car, or a sports car, stop easily and very smoothly without the effort of caressing the brake pedal coming to a red light. I was even on a plane the other day riding around on the tarmac and it came to smooth stops.

Anyone on here have no idea what we're talking about or are all 545i s plagued by this??

I hope someone comes through with some new insight/wisdom on the issue.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by senorfrog97' post='722042' date='Nov 15 2008, 11:11 AM
So I guess it's not just my car

This has been bothering me lately, mainly because the comparisons I started doing to other cars. All the other cars I've driven lately, whether a family car, or a sports car, stop easily and very smoothly without the effort of caressing the brake pedal coming to a red light. I was even on a plane the other day riding around on the tarmac and it came to smooth stops.

Anyone on here have no idea what we're talking about or are all 545i s plagued by this??

I hope someone comes through with some new insight/wisdom on the issue.
Yea, it sux. I had a reprogram for the 2-1 downshift last year that has made it better, though far from perfect. My solution is to keep it in DS mode, and upshift to M3 before rolling to a start. The car will stop smoother in M3 (less torque multiplication).
Old 11-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I would try the 25 second transmission reset trick!! I do it weekly to keep the car running smoothly!
Old 11-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='721817' date='Nov 15 2008, 01:45 AM
Hey Krozi - don't quite understand why it should be bad for the tranny? You can disengage into N at any time [that's what Neutral is for]. You are not re-engaging into D when the vehicle is moving [hence, no real damage to the transmission].

I have had my car 73K miles now and have had no transmission issues despite doing this for the past 3 years now......
Oh, I heard there where issues with lubrication and stuff, huh. Since I drive in DS mode most of the time, I will just have to cope with the little kick. I don't want to switch from DS to Neutral and Neutral to DS.

Quick Reply: Any solution to fix rough stop/start for 05 545i?