E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 528i
Default Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?

I'm looking to paint my aftermarket M-Style body kit (MStyle front/ MStyle sides/ Mtech Rear). Been looking around for the best pricing for autobody paint shops and found one but they use a paint brand called MATRIX. My questions are:

1) Anyone have/heard any experience with MATRIX BRAND paint?

2) If so, any problems with matching color? How good is the color match to the rest of your car?

From researching I've found that Matrix Brand is pretty good quality paint, however, for color matching it isn't great. My e60 is a pretty simple color Alpine White (Color Code 300), so I just want to know if you would trust this paint or not.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I've never heard of it personally. Maybe have a look at the shop that is using it and see what the finished product looks like. Also research a little to see if you can find out if there any complaints where it has to be reprainted due to fading, dulling, breaking down etc... I sprayed my old Toyota truck five years ago with limco which is a low end paint and it sits in my driveway year around. It still looks as good today as it did yesterday. Seriously though, a little sun fading but nothing a little polish wont bring back. So if your car is garaged you should be ok.

Don't under estimate Alpine White. It is a tricky dicky color.... A little difficult to get it right so you end up with a little whiter which is the most common problem.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I've never heard of MATRIX. That being said, even the best refinishing material is only as good as the person applying it.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i tried matrix paint systems for the first time few months ago to paint my front, rear and side skirts. the paint match was almost perfect. didnt have to have it compared to a panel, i just ordered the paint code. the paint was very inexpensive, and the base was ready to spray no mixing, the clear was 4:1. i usually spray with dupont, but i was in a hurry and only had a couple days to prep,primer and paint to get ready for bimmer fest. i also wasnt able to rent a paint booth. i needed my bumpers painted fast and didnt want to spent a ton of money on paint if i wasnt going to be able to paint it in a booth. the end result was amazing, i have no plans to reshoot the paint. i will use matrix from now on.

see for yourself. painted in my open air driveway (yes driveway) and a 9.99 harbor frieght gun can do with matrix paint.
Name:  photo_zps2b916f4a.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  57.4 KB
Old 08-16-2013, 06:54 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by roskinc
i tried matrix paint systems for the first time few months ago to paint my front, rear and side skirts. the paint match was almost perfect. didnt have to have it compared to a panel, i just ordered the paint code. the paint was very inexpensive, and the base was ready to spray no mixing, the clear was 4:1. i usually spray with dupont, but i was in a hurry and only had a couple days to prep,primer and paint to get ready for bimmer fest. i also wasnt able to rent a paint booth. i needed my bumpers painted fast and didnt want to spent a ton of money on paint if i wasnt going to be able to paint it in a booth. the end result was amazing, i have no plans to reshoot the paint. i will use matrix from now on.

see for yourself. painted in my open air driveway (yes driveway) and a 9.99 harbor frieght gun can do with matrix paint.

When you say "the paint was almost perfect" does that mean you can still see the difference in paint color between your bumpers and panels? What color paint/code did you do..was it Alpine White too?

I've heard great reviews on matrix if you repaint the entire car with the matrix system but color matching i've heard a different story. But definitely great to know that you just ordered the paint code and it turned out amazing. Thanks for the reply this helped me out a lot!
Old 08-16-2013, 06:55 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
I've never heard of MATRIX. That being said, even the best refinishing material is only as good as the person applying it.
Very true.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I sprayed mine in alpine white as well. Again, the issue with this color is that it's a little more white than it should be. This seems to be the norm unless you go with an approved vendor for Glasurit paint, but then you are looking at 3-4 X the price in paint. I can see the same in Rosinc's pic too just a little whiter. Does it matter? Well that is a personal preference and Yes, I can see mine but only because I know its there. One would probably have to be made aware of this and then they would see it. You could solve this by blending if you didn't want to pay the higher price. And I honestly can't say that the Glasurit would even be any better, but it should be. Or you could have the paint tinted to match better.
Attached Thumbnails Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?-rt-bump.jpg   Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?-img_0130_r.jpg   Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?-car.jpg  
Old 08-16-2013, 09:44 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
I sprayed mine in alpine white as well. Again, the issue with this color is that it's a little more white than it should be. This seems to be the norm unless you go with an approved vendor for Glasurit paint, but then you are looking at 3-4 X the price in paint. I can see the same in Rosinc's pic too just a little whiter. Does it matter? Well that is a personal preference and Yes, I can see mine but only because I know its there. One would probably have to be made aware of this and then they would see it. You could solve this by blending if you didn't want to pay the higher price. And I honestly can't say that the Glasurit would even be any better, but it should be. Or you could have the paint tinted to match better.

You're car looks clean ..Nice work. I can barely notice the different shade in white but you're right, I guess it's all personal preference and I wouldn't have noticed unless you told me.

Where's Rosinc's pic? I don't see his car anywhere. I'd like to take a look at his since he used the Matrix system on his car. Any pics?? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by roskinc

roskinc, do you have any pics of your car with the front, rear, and sides you can show me that you used to paint with the Matrix system? I'd like to see difference in paint, if any at all.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:33 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

i attached a photo on my last post but ill post it again. i just took a photo while on lunch of the rear panel. i haven't had time to color sand, but you can tell how close the color is. like tony said, pretty much the average person wouldn't even tell unless your trained to see these things. if your that concerned about the color match, you should have the paint blended in. unless your skillful at painting, i would leave it to a shop to do it, otherwise you'll end up spending more money. i spent about 150 in base/clear/primer and necessary sand paper and such to paint front rear and side skirts. took about 2 days work. used a crappy 9.99 harbor freight gun. i have a better gun but couldnt find it in my storage. has only the weekend to finish paint before bimmerfest.

below is a panel i just took (excuse the really dirty car) and the 2nd is a photo i found online from bimmerfest 2013 coverage.
Attached Thumbnails Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?-photo5325.jpg   Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?-jx3c0018.jpg  

Quick Reply: Any heard of the paint brand MATRIX?