E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Antitheft switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where is antitheft switch in BMW 528i 2008.
I know it's under the hood somewhere...
Is it safe to switch IT off when the hood is open for a long period of time ?
And how do u switch it off ?

For e.g when u hv battery tender connected for about 4 weeks, then hood will be open ....
Old 10-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by fatboysam
Where is antitheft switch in BMW 528i 2008.
I know it's under the hood somewhere...
Is it safe to switch IT off when the hood is open for a long period of time ?
And how do u switch it off ?

For e.g when u hv battery tender connected for about 4 weeks, then hood will be open ....
Close the hood - snake the wire from the battery tender out from under the front of the car. Or, connect the leads to the battery tender directly to the battery terminals and run the lead out under the trunk lid. The trunk gasket is plenty flexible and will not be bothered by the battery tender leads.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Members

It would be great if you post some picture if you have any,sorry i did not understand competly ....
Old 10-12-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

It would be great if you post some picture if you have any,sorry i did not understand competly ....
If I have a few free minutes tomorrow I'll snap a pic of the tender and how I connect it to my Roadster battery (because I only drive that car when the weather is PERFECT)! I'm sure you'll be able to figure it out from that. However if you're really not comfortable doing these sort of things you should rely on a BMW service center or a qualified independent BMW mechanic to assist you.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Members

I think Picture shud be more than sufficient for me.... Thank you very much .
Old 10-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Contributors

I think Picture shud be more than sufficient for me.... Thank you very much .
Sure ... here ya go - this is as connected to the battery in the trunk of my roadster. A battery tender is helpful as this car is driven only when I feel like it and the weather is perfect. The leads are attached to the appropriate + / - battery terminals and the plug makes it very easy to connect and disconnect safely reducing the possibility of any shorts.

The cord compresses in the trunk gasket so I can close it completely without any difficulty.

Hope this helps you!
Attached Thumbnails Antitheft switch-tender-lead-trunk-complete.jpg   Antitheft switch-tender-lead-trunk.jpg   Antitheft switch-tender-lead-battery.jpg   Antitheft switch-tender-lead-trunk.jpg  
Old 10-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Sure ... here ya go - this is as connected to the battery in the trunk of my roadster. A battery tender is helpful as this car is driven only when I feel like it and the weather is perfect. The leads are attached to the appropriate + / - battery terminals and the plug makes it very easy to connect and disconnect safely reducing the possibility of any shorts.

The cord compresses in the trunk gasket so I can close it completely without any difficulty.

Hope this helps you!

Thanks for the pix. Quick question when you get a chance.

When you replaced you battery, I see that you have Interstate, did you have to get it registered in your car? I read that it's required? Please advise. My car is at 49k and running on my first one (3.5years old) and considering getting a new one.

Thank you sir.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by leese8080
Thanks for the pix. Quick question when you get a chance.

When you replaced you battery, I see that you have Interstate, did you have to get it registered in your car? I read that it's required? Please advise. My car is at 49k and running on my first one (3.5years old) and considering getting a new one.

Thank you sir.
The picture is the battery and tender installed in my Roadster; battery registration isn't required in that car. If you replace your current battery in an e60 it is recommended that it be registered. That said, if your battery is the original and you drive enough every day to maintain it in a good charged state ... or when not driven use a battery tender ... your battery could last 5+ years. I wouldn't replace it as a maintenance item unless you are getting symptoms that it is failing.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530i Mystic Blue

The picture is the battery and tender installed in my Roadster; battery registration isn't required in that car. If you replace your current battery in an e60 it is recommended that it be registered. That said, if your battery is the original and you drive enough every day to maintain it in a good charged state ... or when not driven use a battery tender ... your battery could last 5+ years. I wouldn't replace it as a maintenance item unless you are getting symptoms that it is failing.
Thank you sir for your prompt response. Much appreciated!
Old 10-13-2010, 04:06 PM
Members

Hope this helps you!
Thanks.

Quick Reply: Antitheft switch