E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Another intermittent no crank no start

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 09:18 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Needs Work
Default Another intermittent no crank no start

I know this issue has been spoken of before but here I am. I have an 05 545i with 100k that has an intermittent no crank no start issue. The battery was replaced a few months bad and im suspecting it's the starter. All the lights come on as normal but just no start. Once in a while you can hear the starter make a click but that's it. Just wanting you guys opinion as I see in some cases its the integrated supply module.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Generally when you get a click the solenoid is getting voltage. If you don't get a click at all, and the battery voltage measures at least 12.2V, then something between the battery and solenoid is preventing the voltage from reaching the solenoid (there are a whole list of possibiities - CAS, make contact relay, IVM, IBS, bad ground, brake pedal microswitch, etc.).

If sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't that makes troubleshooting tougher (and may suggest more than one component failing), but if it always clicks and it won't crank then that points strongly to the starter motor.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:13 AM
New Members

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and purchased a starter a week ago but haven't installed it yet, (why do the labor if that's not the problem). I see with these cars most their problems are common issues other e60 owners have. I guess im going to have to go process of elimination on this one. Anyone else have a similar problem?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Poser
Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and purchased a starter a week ago but haven't installed it yet, (why do the labor if that's not the problem). I see with these cars most their problems are common issues other e60 owners have. I guess im going to have to go process of elimination on this one. Anyone else have a similar problem?
I guess I should have just come out and asked the question.

Does it click all of the time?
Old 10-08-2013, 01:41 AM
New Members

Not all the time, less than half the time. Most the time it just wont do anything and when it clicks its just one click and that's it. I got the car from a family member that doesn't have a job so it never bothered him, he would just keep trying and it would start up in 2-5 min.
Old 10-08-2013, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Do you have anyway of reading codes? You can still have them stored even though you CE light is not on. This could possibly tell you where to start if you see any.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: '07 530i

Check the voltage at the battery (and check to make sure the connectors are tight and corrosion free). If it's good, then your charging system is likely good and you can move on to checking the voltage at the starter. If the voltage is good there, then it's likely the starter (you can try tapping the starter with a hammer - if it then starts, you've confirmed it's the starter). If the voltage is good at the battery, but not at the starter, then the problem could be a bunch of things and the code reader may help pinpoint it.

If the voltage at the battery is bad, try jump starting it (use the terminals under the hood, not at the battery). If it starts, you may have a charging system problem, so check the output of the alternator with a meter (or take it to an auto parts store and they can check it for you). If the output is low or fluctuates alot, it's likely the alternator or the voltage regulator.

Based on your description thus far, my money is on the starter ;-) Good luck!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM
New Members

Sounds like the same problem I had a couple months ago. It was the starter. Replaced that and I was good to go.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:32 AM
New Members

The battery is new and the connections are secure. Im going to try the tapping thing next time it doesn't start. The CEL is on but its for codes 0128 (thermostat) and 0491/0492. Thanks again for all the replies.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:39 PM
New Members

Update: I had some trouble today out of the blue, I had the car put on neutral and rolled it back some then it was able to start. Don't know it this has do do with anything..

Quick Reply: Another intermittent no crank no start